It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

lsmcam99 HB User
Diverticulitis and nausea

Hello everyone - Just looking for some feedback. I've been experiencing extrememe nausea the past week or so (getting worse day by day) to where I'm at the point that I cannot eat or drink w/o it coming right back up within an hour or so. I'm weak from not eating, still trying to sip warm liquids to prevent dehydration and waiting to see my Family Practive doc tomorrow.

My history: about 2 years ago I end up in the ER with extreme stomach pain which eventually diagnosed as perforated bowel due to diverticulitis (which I never knew I had). I had emergency surgery, a temporary colostomy and a reversal within a couple months. Since then I've had no similar problems. I now eat a very very high fiber diet and watch the popcorn, nuts, corn, etc. So now I'm short about two feet of colon but otherwise doing well. When I had the barium enema prior to my reversal the doc indicated that there were a few tics but not many and that it appeared that my surgeon got the area where they were really bad.

Has anyone else with diverticular disease had nausea and a low grade fever as a symptom of an infection brewing? Just curious.

Thanks!

Last edited by lsmcam99; 09-12-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
(female)

dyana HB User
Re: Diverticulitis and nausea

Yes I know how you feel. I had a colon resection in March (lower GI bleed, almost bled to death on floor) very serious, in ICU for 8 days and 5 in general room Before and since I have been nauseous and chronic poops (sorry). Doctor said the diareha (sp) is normal but the sick stomach has nothing to do with it. I take probiotics, Zantac but find the best thing to help me is milk when I get sick. I hope you find relief and please let me know if you find out anything also. Living like this is just not any way to live. Ask me any questions and if I can answer them I will. Good lick, Dyana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
(female)

Clover100 HB User

IMSCAM99: I see you are in the Columbus area. Who did your surgery?? What hospital? I'm scheduled for resection surgery in late October at Mounty Carmel East. I had a micro-perforation a year ago but they didn't do surgery. Now I'm having it because I'm afraid I will have another emergeny situation and have to have a colostomy. I have only had one mild attack since the big one last Fall. I was really tempted to just try to watch what I ate--until I had a mild attack a month ago. Had to do the antibiotic deal then. I hope you family doctor can find the reason why you are so sick. How long did it take you to get back to a normal routine following your surgery.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
(female)

lsmcam99 HB User

Hi Clover -
I actually had my initial emergency surgery, my reversal and both my hernia surgeries at Doctor's West, mind you had I known how seriously ill I was initially I would have gone elsewhere, but luckily that first night, the surgeon on call, had done over 300 emergency resections. I liked him and decided to continue at Doctors as long as he was around. Unfortunately last year he became very ill and closed his practice, now I'm at square one trying to find a new doc... scary when I'm needing one now as I do.

Hi Dyana - Thanks for the well wishes, I'm off to the doc now, will post more later.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
(female)

lsmcam99 HB User

Thanks everyone!!! The appt went well. He took my symptoms seriously and checked my urine and found that I was extremely dehydrated and had a bladder infection, I got an rx for phenergan for the nausea and an antibiotic for the UTI. He also ordered blood work but I'm going to wait a day or two until I rehydrate, my veins are horrible to begin with let alone when I'm all dehydrated. He said once the UTI clears and the blood work comes back we can go from there, he was completely comfortable ordering a CT scan himself and then depending on the results sending me off for treatment. The phenergan makes me tired but I was able to eat an entire apple today and drink water and keep them all down, YEAH!
I'll keep you posted as I learn more, thanks for all your support.

Closed Thread