It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

Georgette HB User
Hardening of the bowel wall?

I posted this on the irritable bowel board as well, but I figured I might get some info here too. I went to the doctor on Tuesday to get results of a pelvic ultrasound. When I had the u/s, the tech spent a lot of time looking at my upper left abdomen, and asked me if I have pain there. I told her no, that usually my pain is in the lower left. Anyway, the results of the u/s showed that I have "evidence of hardening of the bowel wall in the upper left abdomen". Has anyone ever heard of this? She has referred me to a general surgeon, so hopefully it will lead to some relief finally after almost 6 years of suffering.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Re: Hardening of the bowel wall?

Georgette.....

You don't mention whether or not you have had diverticulosis/diverticulitis?
A hardening of the bowel wall could be from diverticulitis...inflammation, then scarring.

As for a surgeon, I would suggest you find one who performs colon surgery.....a colo-rectal surgeon. He/she deals with bowel/colon problems more so than a general surgeon would.

Good luck,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

frb1591 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by libloom View Post
Georgette.....

You don't mention whether or not you have had diverticulosis/diverticulitis?
A hardening of the bowel wall could be from diverticulitis...inflammation, then scarring.

As for a surgeon, I would suggest you find one who performs colon surgery.....a colo-rectal surgeon. He/she deals with bowel/colon problems more so than a general surgeon would.

Good luck,
Linda
You took the words right out of my mouth...about diverticulosis AND a colon/rectal surgeon!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
(female)

Georgette HB User

I have been to two gastroenterologists. The first one did a colonoscopy back in '04, shortly after my father-in-law was diagnosed with diverticulosis, so I specifically asked the gastro about it, and he said I didn't have any evidence of it. Then I saw the second gastro in '05 and he did some blood tests and didn't see the need to do any further testing.

Last year a friend ended up in the hospital with diverticulitus, diagnosed by a general surgeon (actually, one who works in the same office as the one I'm going to) and he removed 12 inches of his large bowel, and he hasn't had any problems since.

At least it's a step in the right direction. All the other doctors I've seen have just decided they can't find anything wrong with me and left it at that.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Georgette....

Good luck to you...and please keep us posted.

Linda

Old 09-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

sallyann......

Wish I'd have had that option. My one and only episode with diverticulitis landed me in the hospital with an abcess/perforation and subsequent surgery.

Good luck to you.....
Linda

Closed Thread