It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
(male)

Jake77444 HB User
Blood in stool, toilet bowl, toilet paper?

Ok well lets start off by letting you guys know I had a colonoscopy about 6 months ago. I've been having problems with my bowels for about a year now. Im 21 and the only thing the Dr found when doing the colonoscopy was some "small internal hemorrhoids". Well last time I had a straining bowel movement and had just a little barely visible spots of blood on the TP(not that abnormal I always wrote it off as the hemorrhoid). A few hours later I came home and had another BM that was stressed. Well after wiping I noticed that TP was completely covered in blood, repeated a couple more times and just tons of blood. I looked in the bowl and there was streaks of blood in the stool and in the toilet(it turned the toilet pinkish). I was kind of freaked out today but what has freaked me out even more is that I had 3 more BM today that were not stressed at all and I still have blood in the toilet, on the TP, and in the stool. I'm debating on whether I should goto the ER now or wait till Wednesday(I scheduled an appt with my gastro dr). I also have left side chest pain near the bottom of my ribcage that has been intermittent for the last year.

Should I been concerned by the amount of blood i've seen, could it just be that I had a internal hemorrhoid that burst?

Please let me know your opinion

Jake

Last edited by Jake77444; 09-14-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Blood in stool, toilet bowl, toilet paper?

Jake,

The blood sounds like a hemorrhoid. A little blood can look like alot in a toilet!! I don't know about the pain.

I think just wait on the GI doctor's visit to be cheched out.

I also think you should start take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil along with drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily. It will make your BMs more regular without straining.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
(male)

Jake77444 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Jake,

The blood sounds like a hemorrhoid. A little blood can look like alot in a toilet!! I don't know about the pain.

I think just wait on the GI doctor's visit to be cheched out.

I also think you should start take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil along with drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily. It will make your BMs more regular without straining.
Yeah the Dr's think the pain is either costo or related to my extremely bad case of scoliosis both of which would be completely non-related but I figured i'd throw it out there anyway.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
(male)

Jake77444 HB User

Day 3 and still having blood on TP and stool.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Jake,

That is how some hemorrhoids bleed when your stool is harder than normal and you strain during a BM.

I have been taking psyllium for 23 years and it helps to manage the problem. Your rectum is about 8 inches long and the biggest cause of hemorrhoids is contipation.

Hemorrhoid are like a varicose veins -- veins that have lost their elastisity. And once the elasticity is gone -- it can't be treated to return to normal except with surgery.

Harry

Old 09-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
(male)

Jake77444 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Jake,

That is how some hemorrhoids bleed when your stool is harder than normal and you strain during a BM.

I have been taking psyllium for 23 years and it helps to manage the problem. Your rectum is about 8 inches long and the biggest cause of hemorrhoids is contipation.

Hemorrhoid are like a varicose veins -- veins that have lost their elastisity. And once the elasticity is gone -- it can't be treated to return to normal except with surgery.

Harry
Really even days after the straining went away? I know its hemmorhoids but just didn't realize I would still be bleeding days later, my stool is pretty soft but theres still blood, probably just really ****** them off that one night. Thanks for the reply harry, i appreciate it!

Jake

Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
(male)

LondonRed HB User

Jake I have exactly the same. Soft stools but always blood even. I don't have constipation either.

I have been told it was Hemmorhoids at Sigmoidoscopy but I want a Colonoscopy just to be sure!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #8
(male)

Jake77444 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRed View Post
Jake I have exactly the same. Soft stools but always blood even. I don't have constipation either.

I have been told it was Hemmorhoids at Sigmoidoscopy but I want a Colonoscopy just to be sure!
I have had a colonoscopy and i'm still skeptical, heck they even have pictures all the way up while doing the colonoscopy and took biopsies.

Went to the Gastro a few weeks ago and they reassured me it was just hemmorhoids and that I need not to be concerned.

I havn't had blood in my stool since my last post until today.......No hard stool or constipation today but I had a blood full of stool and blood on tp.

What worries me is that the blood looks like it is all inside of the stool, not just on the edges or outside, but it is red.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:02 AM   #9
(male)

AnxiousMan HB User

If you have had the Colonoscopy then I'd not worry mate you have been checked out. Eeven if you bleed you know where it is coming from.

I have had a flexi sig and they found Hemms and they bleed every blood day with or without straining. My IBS has also wreaked havoc on my BM's. I have a colonoscopy planned just to be sure it isn't anything serious and God willing it isn't. I am 33.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Hi guys, maybe you saw my thread below about bleeding.

I've been bleeding (essentially) every time I go #2 for 3 MONTHS!

I do think it's just my hemorrhoid, and a fissure I think caused by it, but I do get a bit concerned because I've never had the blood continue for months on end!

In fact, I distinctly remember when the bleeding started (this time) - it was about July 10 or so, and I had a BM where I felt that "tear" - and the stinging pain that goes with it, especially on wiping. Ever since that episode I have had bright-red bleeding - when I wipe, in the stool, and often dripping in the toilet. Didn't matter that most of my stools are regular and medium, not hard and irregular. This pain did coincide with when I just found out I am pregnant, which would've been about 4 wks pregnant.

I will say I never spontaneously bleed on myself outside the actual BM event. I never find blood on the undies or anything. Not yet!

Also, every time I have access on BM, I put Vaseline on my "wounds". This time, it doesn't seem to help.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:00 AM   #11
(male)

AnxiousMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Line Rebel View Post
Hi guys, maybe you saw my thread below about bleeding.

I've been bleeding (essentially) every time I go #2 for 3 MONTHS!

I do think it's just my hemorrhoid, and a fissure I think caused by it, but I do get a bit concerned because I've never had the blood continue for months on end!

In fact, I distinctly remember when the bleeding started (this time) - it was about July 10 or so, and I had a BM where I felt that "tear" - and the stinging pain that goes with it, especially on wiping. Ever since that episode I have had bright-red bleeding - when I wipe, in the stool, and often dripping in the toilet. Didn't matter that most of my stools are regular and medium, not hard and irregular. This pain did coincide with when I just found out I am pregnant, which would've been about 4 wks pregnant.

I will say I never spontaneously bleed on myself outside the actual BM event. I never find blood on the undies or anything. Not yet!

Also, every time I have access on BM, I put Vaseline on my "wounds". This time, it doesn't seem to help.

You have a confirmed Fussure and a Hemmoroid, you are also pregnant which is a massive reason for bleeding hemmoroids, you are answering your own questions with your post.

You have hemmeroids and your baby is putting more pressure on them causing them to bleed. Spare a thought for me who has been bleeding for 5 weeks every day and I only small internal piles.

If you are worried see your doctor but I don't see any reason for panic given you already know what's causing it.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

It sounds like a couple of you are dealing with fissures.

There are a couple options here:

1. See a colo-rectal surgeon and have him or her prescribe some diltiazam ointment. This loosens up the sphincter and allows less painful bowel movements. Hopefully, the fissure will heal.

2. If the bleeding goes on for several months and the above ointment does not help, look into getting a minor surgical procedure called sphincterotomy. Basically, the doctor makes a small incision in the sphincter to loosen it up and help alleviate the spams and tearing. He will also scrape the scar tissue off the fissure.

Take it from me, who had a nasty one of these, you don't want to let it go for a long time. You will wake up one day and be in serious pain--and it won't go away!

The surgical procedure is fast and simple, and it will provide immediate relief. Mine took something like 10 minutes. There was some post-op bleeding, but the pain was down 90% right off the bat. Within a week I was perfect and have never again had a problem. I can eat a steak and not have to worry.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxiousMan View Post
Spare a thought for me who has been bleeding for 5 weeks every day and I only small internal piles.
Oh believe me, I do! I hope yours is no worse than mine.

My problem is it's NOT "confirmed", I only think it's my pregnancy aggravating what I've had in the distant past that hasn't been checked for 12 years. OB-GYN yesterday said likely it's just the fact I have alot more blood down there putting pressure on all the vessels (I know I have more blood - don't ask, TMI!) because of the changes for pregnancy.

I still worry that I'm gaining more GI problems, because I've had so many problems in the recent past. However, I'm not really scared, because I'm weighing my chances that it's just pregnancy pushing on my old minor issues. And my OB-GYN telling me that helps alleviate my fears.

I hope you can get to a regular doctor and get an answer!

Closed Thread