It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

nanabee HB User
Hematoma after colon resection

Hi everyone, I just got back from the surgeons office and I have a big hematoma in my incision. My resection was 4 weeks ago and I really was starting to feel like my old self. I have pain when I walk so it's down for the count for a few days. Has anyone else gone through this?

Thanks, Nanabee

Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
(female)

maggiemoo HB User
Re: Hematoma after colon resection

Nanabee,

I developed an hematoma about 2 weeks after my resection surgery. Like you, I had been feeling great so I was not happy. Because I was running a fever, my surgeon put me on the dreaded Cipro/Flagyl combination which made me feel terrible for about two weeks. She did switch me to Augmentin instead of the Cipro but then I just threw up after every meal. At least I felt better overall on the Augmentin. It was great for weight loss. I got back to my goal weight for Weight Watchers without even trying!!!

It is very easy to get discouraged when you have a little setback but hang in there--it will get better.

Maggie

Last edited by maggiemoo; 09-18-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
(female)

dan-girls HB User

HI My husband has a colon resection about 7 weeks ago. He also was starting to feel better, than developed a hematoma after 3 weeks. It really scared us, the doctor put him on augmentin for 7 days. He was feeling better then got another infection, then another round of antibotics. Now after nearly 7 weeks, finally went back to work. It is slow going for him. But hopefully in the couple of weeks, he will be back to his better self. Hope this helps.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
(female)

nanabee HB User

Hi, I hope your husband is doing okay. My hematoma leaked through my incision on Saturday. It was a little scary. It actually relieved a lot of the pressure. I have another Drs. appointment tomorrow to see what they need to do. My regular surgeon (whom I really trust) is still on vacation.His partner thinks he will need to drain it. I hate pain! Hopefully we will all be recovered soon!

Closed Thread