It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

miracle.layne HB User
Slow Transit Colon - Sincere Help

Hello, I am new to this forum and hope to receive help, suggestions, etc from those in the community who have experienced what I am going through and can offer some guideance.

History- I am 36 years old. I've never been able to have a consistant bowel movement since I was about 17 years old. They started from about 1 BM a week, and for the past 5 years they have been 1BM a month.

Gastro Physician- 5 years ago, I was having pain, and starting seeing this doctor who did series. Blood work that said I had a tyroid problem and I went on tyroid medicine for about 2 years, and then I was re-tested and my levels were fine. So I was taken off the medicine. I had a Barium Enama conducted and also a colonoscopy that determined that I had a colon of an "eighty year old woman". I also had the "Maker study" conducted that inwhich I was told I had a "Slow Transit Colon". Which means that it takes a while for food to digest or reach to the colon, anal etc.

I was also asked to try numerous products that would or suppose to help my severe constipation, and nothing would help. I increases my fiber intake, began exercising and eating healthier, drinking lots and lots of water, and there still has been no change.

I stopped going to the doctor. it was costing me a lot of money and having no progress.

Currently - I have been referred back to the same doctor, because he knows my history. I don't have an appointment until October 29th. I am still having bM's only once a month or if I go heavy on the colace, and drink several glasses of wine I can manage to go twice a month.

I am having surgery (exploratory) on September 26th. My GYN is going to see why I am having pain on my right side (ovary). I am hoping he will check out my intenstine area as well.

Question[/U][/B]- My question now is, I have been reading up on "Slow Transit Colon" and procedures to help, and one is surgery. Having a partial colectomy. I am really wanting to have this problem fixed. what are your thoughts, or if you know how hard it will be for me to fight to have it. Since, my doctor never mentioned it to me 5 years ago.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread