HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   Anyone with Recurring diverticulitis after Colon resection? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/535906-anyone-recurring-diverticulitis-after-colon-resection.html)

Crystal Clear 09-21-2007 09:07 PM

Anyone with Recurring diverticulitis after Colon resection?

Is it possible to have diverticulitis again, even though I had a sigmoid colon resection a few years back after I had a micro perforation? I know that I had other diverticula besides the ones in the sigmoid. Yes I still get constipated and end up straining due to the con.
The reason I'm asking is that I have had two attacks in the past year that lasted 3 to 5 days with a lot of the same type of pain. My stomach hurts across my belly button area, I have cramps, my lower abdomen is tender, I have gas that doesn't relieve my pain, walking and riding in a car becomes difficult, stomach becomes hard and tender.
Is it possible to have diverticulitis attacks again?:confused

gomer4 09-26-2007 09:35 PM

Re: Anyone with Recurring diverticulitis after Colon resection?

Something I take that helps avoid the constipation is Konsyl. It really helps me. I think a key thing here is to avoid constipation at all cost. Think fiber too. Harry has alot of good posts on here dealing with fiber, how much, what kinds, etc.
Best of luck. I suffered from diverticulitis for years before I finally had a colon resection, and have not been sick since. But, I make sure to eat enough fiber, and drink Konsyl every day. THere are many different supplements you could look into.

Lori

Harry 09-29-2007 10:38 PM

Re: Anyone with Recurring diverticulitis after Colon resection?

CC,

Lori is correct -- Konsyl is a very good water soluble fiber supplement that most people just don't get enough of daily. It is psyllium in a very pure form. And, YES -- you can get diverticular pockets any where in the colon. It is a pocket that can get infected. The Way to aviod it is to keep your stool bulked up and moving. Never but never get constipated!!

You have to eat enough fiber in your diet so you don't get constipated --- the biggest cause of diverticular problems as well as hemorrhoids.

To make your intestines function properly you as well as all people needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily. It has to be a combination of insoluble fiber and soluble fiber. The insoluble fiber is the type that does not absorb fluids but causes the intestinal muscles to contract -- that moves digested food through the intestines so you can have regular BMs.

Soluble fiber is the type that aborbs fluid and bulks your stool up. Of course you need to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily.

Insoluble fiber is basically all fruits , all veggies, the bran from grains, nuts and seeds.

Soluble fiber is the inner part of grains, beans & peas. All the root veggies like potatoes, carrots, beets, turnips.

All meats, all seafood and all dairy prodocts contain no Fiber,

Oh -- the tenderness is caused by trapped gas in your colon that causes cramping as well as spasms. Gas is caused by some foods that you eat but it is mostly caused by swallowing air as you eat and swallow. Sodas and chewing gum as well as anything that causes you to swallow alot-- are big gas producers.

The cramping and spasms can be helped by making sure you get enough magnesium and calcium in your diet-- or a mineral supplement-- I like and use chelated minerals best.

An excellent homeopathic remedy for all cramping and spasms is Magnesia Phos. -- taken as needed- and it can be repeated-- but it does not replace the magnesium needed in your diet-- because Every cell in your body contains magnesium -- and about 67% is in your bones for strength.

You can get your Doctor to do a Magnesium Screening test to make sure you have enough but with the tenderness and pain during walking and riding -- I'll bet it is low and the cellular levels cannot be measured anyway.

Also, some things like alcohol depletes magnesium in your system-- so avoid all alcohol until you get the cramping and tenderness under control. One drink will cause the magnesium in your urine to increase 5X the very next time you urinate.

I have had 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed-- it includes all my sigmoid colon + some.

I wish You well---Harry