It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
(female)

MaryAnn HB User
Recovery from diverticulitis

I am interested in hearing stories of how your recovery from diverticulitis went. My husband was hospitalized 2 weeks ago and given cipro and flagyl intervenously. He had been on oral cipro and flagyl for about 5 days before he was hospitalized. Then was sent home with another weeks worth of the drug. Infection and inflammation are gone but recovery has been slow. He had many side effects from the flagyl, the main one being the metallic taste. He has been off the drugs for about a week, but his taste buds are only partially returning to normal. He just hates eating because of the way everything tastes. He has lost a lot of weight and tires easily. I know this is not something you pop right back from but I guess I'm not a very patient person. This was our first experience with diverticulitis and it had probably been going on for close to a month before he finally sought treatment. Any ideas for getting rid of the metallic taste? I would love to hear your stories.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
(female)

Sallygal HB User
Re: Recovery from diverticulitis

I'm trying to get rid of Diverticulitus. Started with Cipro 1 week, 10 days of Cipro & Flagyl; cipro 10 days Flagyl 5 days, then changed to Augmenton 10 days. I'm almost finished the Augmenton, and can see a big change in my pain. Of course I have a yeast infection on top of everything. The Flagyl is awful stuff, and I never want to take that again. Taste buds do change. No appitite but don't seem to be loosing any weight. Need exercise, but too tired. I almost went into the hospital if I started with a fever, but luckily that never happened. Guess it'll take time for the Flagyl to get out of the system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
(female)

justbonnie HB User

I am also just diagnosed with diverticulitus. I have a great deal of trouble swallowing pills. I dont have fever, now in the third day of initial attack. I argued with my doctor to give me something in liquid form, but she ws very adamant that only Levaquin would help me. Thankfully the tablets are small, and so far no side effects.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
(female)

Puggle1 HB User

I suffer from the same. I have been having continious burning in my left side. Did you husband have this to. Have they suggested being operated on yet. Puggle1

Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
(female)

MaryAnn HB User

My husband has seen a surgeon but we are really just in a wait and see mode. He has recovered nicely. He has mentioned he gets a burning now and then, usually seems to be something he ate. I think you really just have to find out what bothers you and then eliminate that from your diet. I don't know how long it's been since your attack but recovery from this is slow. It was at least 4 weeks before things really got better. We are hoping he will be one of the lucky ones who will never need surgery but only time will tell. Good luck to you! I'm sure things will get better.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
(female)

Clover100 HB User

I had a bad attack of diverticulitis a year ago in September. Never even had a clue that there was a problem before feeling like someone was pulling barbed wire through my lower left abdomen. Ended up in the hospital for 5 days with IV's, etc. Had to take Cipro and Flagl when I came home. I agree, the Flagl is the next thing to poison. Anyway, I was careful what I ate all last winter and then had a colonoscopy in May. The doctor said I had a terrible case of diverticulosis even though I hadn't had any more attacks or symptoms. He suggested surgery---but I thought I could continue watching what I ate. Then in July, I had a minor flare-up and did the Cipro/Flagl routine again. Scared me into thinking I might have another micro-perforation (or worse) when I was off on a vacation where I couldn't chose a hospital or doctor-----and the thought of having to have a colostomy worried me alot. To make a long story short, I will undergo a bowel resection surgery tomorrow (Thursday the 25th). Hopefully it will be done laproscopically with no colostomy bag afterward. The "prep" has really been less miserable than the one for the colonoscopy except that I couldn't have anything but clear liquids for two days before surgery. Amazingly my stomach hasn't even growled much. Chicken broth and white grape juice have been a life-savor.
I know everyone dreads surgery---but the kind people on this board who have had a bowel resection have been wonderful in answering my questions and concerns. I'm hoping I can be able to eat my sorely-missed popcorn again soon.

Closed Thread