It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

dan-girls HB User
Unhappy Husband had colon resection questions regarding recovery?

Hi My husband had colon resection 8 weeks ago. About 10 inches was taken out. Operation went well, came home developed a hematoma in the incision area. Back on antibotics for another week. Several weeks later developed another infection, antibotics again for another week. Went back to work 7 days ago, he is on his feet all day. Today feeling tenderness in the incision where the hermatoma was. Did anybody has these complaints? He was feeling better now back to being scared. He wants the doctor to do another cat scan or ultasound to check.

Any feedback would be appreiciated!!!

thanks again, debbie

Old 09-24-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Husband had colon resection questions regarding recovery?

Having repeated infections is not normal but can and does happen to some people.
I don't think a CT scan or Ultasound will help since the infection is not involved with the intestines but the incision??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Sorry your husband is having quite a time of it. I guess the question is what did the first CT scan show? Was that when they discovered the hematoma or could he tell it from just looking at the incision. I also developed an hematoma after my resection but mine was internal--on lower side--(I don't remember if left or right). It wasn't related to my incision. We did do a follow up CT scan to see that is was going down. It took me awhile to feel better--I think a large part of that was being on the meds--Flagyl and Cipro. I also remember being upset (why did it have to happen to me--I was recovering fine) and scared (why did it happen)?

He is overdoing at work?

Maggie

Old 02-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lady287 HB User

I know this is an old post, but I was hoping someone could answer questions regarding a hematoma. I came out of my resection with a large hematoma next to my incision. I was told that they may have to immediately operate to drain it. That didn't happen, and I am now almost nine weeks post-op. At my six week post-op, my surgeon told me it could take months to go away but that he wasn't worried about it and I didn't need to see him again. But it's really started to hurt more in the last week. It's become smaller, more concentrated and very hard. It went from a baseball to a golfball sticking out. It feels like it "pops" out when I sneeze or cough. It is also extremely tender to touch. For those of you that had this, how long did it take to go away? Is there anything I should be worried about? I've read on some posts (other surgeries) that for some people, it never goes away. Has that happened to anyone?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

lady287,

I had surgery on 11/2 and had a hematoma bigger than my fist just above te groin area. As you know a hematoma is blood that has to be absorbed. The surgeon told me to put heat on it and vigoriously massage it many times daily.

I use a gel pak that I heated in a Micro Wave for convinence. It took about a month and a half to completely disappear.
The hematoma was very hard but not senstive to touch--- like mashing on a rock. When it was very large, it was uncomfortable walking around but it gradually improved.

I wish you well---Harry

Closed Thread