It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
(male)

Darrin120 HB User
Ulcerative Coilitis success story

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Coilitis in 1999. I actually had the symptoms for over a year before I saw a doctor. It was much too embarassing to tell my girlfriend, I figured I had been drinking too much and I just had to cut back. I worked full time, and had many accidents, I took days off, and became enemic. But I didn't know how devestating my disease had become. I was having bloody bowel movements 25-30 times per day and still trying to "be a man about it". Well I eventually could not hide my disease.
My gastroenterologist was set back by the severity of my condition. He gave me all the medication options over the next couple of years. I was doing 60 mg of prednisone, pentasa, and even remikade done through an IV. I got married but still had complications with my disease.
Now my only other option was a full colectomy with a j-pouch ileo-anal pull-through. Yea, bye bye to my large intestine and hello to a procedure that made part of my small intestine into my new colon, just a lot smaller. This was a six hour surgery and 3 months in cedar sanai recovery.
All of this also took a toll on my body my mind and my new marriage. I lost use of my left leg for 6 months as a complication of my surgery, I became a drug addict, and I lost my wife and home and my job.
Oops, now almost 4 years later I have my life back and a clean one . I have had bouts with pouchitis, and anal fistula from my pouch to my buttocks. I still have to watch my diet and keep an eye on possible flare-ups.
I have a home again and a job that I am proud to do. I have the freedom to live a life not worrying about where the nearest toilet is, although I am more comfortable knowing one is close.
The relationship thing is still hard, Intimacy can be difficult and most people will never understand the trials I have been through.
But that is okay, in 2007 my life is good and getting better. My health issues seem to be subsiding, and I can focus on other areas of self-improvement.

So if you are struggling with ulcerative coilitis, know there atre others who have walked the path before you. Let us be of assistance so you will not be alone in a trying journey you will have

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread