It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
(male)

LondonRed HB User
When doctors just don't know?

My gastro surgean said he was "flummoxed" as to why I am still bleeding every day from very small piles. I get bright red blood on toilet tissue and some on the outside of the stool. I also get thick bright and dark blood with some bowel movements away from the stool and on it's own on the pan.

I EVEN GET FRESH BLOOD JUST BLOOD ON THE TOILET PAN WITHOUT ANY STOOLS.

However they don't seem to go away, it's been nearly 3 months.

I have had a flexible sigmoidoscopy and he doesn't want to do a colonoscopy (even though I have health insurance) as he thinks there is no chance of the blood coming from higher up.

The only thing it can be is the piles but is it normal for them to bleed everyday? It's not a lot of blood but it shows and freaks me out. I don't get constipation at all and have no pain at all.

Anyone have any clues on how I get rid of these or if it's normal for them to last for a long time?

Last edited by LondonRed; 09-27-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
(female)

pleasehelp07 HB User
Re: When doctors just don't know?

I have been dealing with the same kind of thing for just as long but i also have some mucous and pus at times. I have not had a colonoscopy yet, I am going to GI doctor on Oct. 11th. I have worried myself sick because i do deal with this problem everyday! I have been told to have a colonoscopy because it isn't normal to have bleeding everyday! Have you had your blood taken to see if you anemic? Have they done a stool sample? I suggest you go back to doctor and tell them that it is still happening and have a colonoscopy! Can you try another GI Doctor? If you are concerned you should get a straight answer. It may be something like colitis! Which what i understand requires certain meds to make it better! I just know that it isnt normal to bleed everyday! I am in the same boat!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
(male)

LondonRed HB User

I am going to try and get another gastro doctor to take a look, I get blood with BM, dark blood, bright red blood but always fresh blood. I even get blood now coming out on its own without stools as if its built up inside me and then suddenly released. This happens a little later after I have had the initial bowel movement. Then other times I get no blood at all, I am so scared. I am so scared of Cancer higher up, or could it be ulcers? I just don't know.

I have a Flexibible sigmoidoscopy which showed nothing, I have also had the lower rectum checked twice.

I am sure small hemmorrhoids cannot cause this amount of problems? I have a young baby, and I am scared he will lose me.

Last edited by LondonRed; 09-27-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
(female)

pleasehelp07 HB User

I have the same problem except mine now happens even if i strain and don't have a bowel movement! Mine is also everyday now! I have been on this computer and on the health boards. Try not to stress it doesn't make things any better. Trust me i have been doing some major stressing. I guess it is the not knowing that drives me nuts. I do know that the closer the blood is to the rectum the brighter the blood. If it is higher up it tends to be darker or black. If it makes you feel any better i am a single mother age 35 with 4 kids! I know how you feel! Just take a deep breath and clear your head! Don't assume the worst! And stay off any other websites that deal with this issue! I think we begin to think the worst. I find this board very comforting and we will get through this! Again see what you can do to find the cause....any other day without doing something is another day that you stress! Heck maybe the doctor you is right! If you would like you can read my messages i have to see what people have told me and see if your symtoms are like mine and read what people have told me! Although the best thing is to talk to a GI again!

Old 09-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

heirabbit HB User
Stay away from docs, Try purity

In general you need to reduce your intake of food and reduce your stress levels. Gastro-intestinal stuff is all controlled by the "slow nerves". Nervous shocks, esp. orgasm, are bad for it. To heal the intestines you need a simple life of purity. And later everything will smoothe out on its own. I used to have IBS, but I cured it

Old 09-29-2007, 05:56 AM   #6
(male)

LondonRed HB User

Right, yesterday I went to see a leading surgeon who is an expert in rectal bleeding. He didn't seem to concerned but said the following:

1. I need to do a Colonoscopy for my own piece of mind and also to rule out Chrohns, IBD and Cancer once and for all. He did say though that I definitely don't have Cancer of that he is certain as he can be.

2. He suggested that when he does the Colonoscopy he will inject my internal piles.

3. He said IBS diagnosis is a cop out and he will investigate fully why my spasms are so bad and try and sort that out. For the time being he has give me meds to help and said I should take Imodium for a few days so my anal canal isn't irritated so much.

4. He took blood tests just to be sure there wasn't anything else going on.

I am now crapping myself about the Colonoscopy but I guess I need to know once and for all that it's only the piles. The doc thinks that's what it is but wants me to get on with my life so suggested I get it done.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
(female)

pleasehelp07 HB User

Good ,I wish you the best! Hope all goes well for you! Please let me know how it turns out? My Doctor appt is Oct 11th. And then I am asking for a colonoscopy. I am just ready for an answer too! It drives me crazy dealing with this everyday!

Old 09-30-2007, 02:57 AM   #8
(male)

LondonRed HB User

I am scared that I don't know what to do. I want to go the toilet to see if there is any more blood but know if I force myself it will be even worse. I have had a flexi-sig, been checked out and told it was piles but the blood continues. Now I am so nervous about the colonoscopy and the blood tests results. I simply cannot cope with it, to the extent I almost feel guilty looking at my little son.

Can tiny internal hemmorhoids bleed that much? Mostly it is bright red on the toilet and tissue, sometimes it is darker and looks like it's on the stool or mixed it ever so slightly. I have also had a sticky type darker blood which doesn't happen often.

Could I have hemmorhoids but ones that is disguising a more serious problem further up?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
(female)

missy50 HB User

One should certainly have a colonoscopy when experiencing unexplained rectal bleeding (a sigmoidoscopy only allows the doctor to view the lower colon.)
If the bleeding turns out to be hemmorhoids, my solution, which has always worked for me, is to take RUTIN. Rutin is a bioflavonoid, and it rids me not only of the bleeding, but the swelling as well. I take 500 mg of Rutin once or twice a day (twice in the beginning) until the bleeding ceases, which it always has. Also be sure to consume sufficient fiberous food each day, and drink sufficient water. Try to limit sugar consumption. I've found it tends to bind me, and that goes for artificial sweeteners too.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Londonred:"Quote" He said IBS diagnosis is a cop out:
That is scary since when i was diagnosed with this and now i abnormal stool color and blood three days now, very scary let meknow how it turns out!
Take care, Monkey

Old 03-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User
Re: When doctors just don't know? Anyone responding here lately?

I just need to vent i talked with the GI nurse today, Dr..s out for a week she is going to try to get results and told me to get into my Dr. tommorrow to get them also. Meanwhile told me to try sitz bathes in case of hemroids or fissures, which she herself said they didn't show with the testing i had done and should have ugh. Why do dr.s make you go through this when you know somethings not right! If anyones here let me know what you think please!
Love, Monkey

Closed Thread