It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
need colonoscopy

I am 65 yrs old. During the physical exam at dr's office they found blood in my stool. It was not the home occult test I've always done at home but the one they do when doing pelvic exam. I call it a finger smear. I am worried about the stress of doing the fasting & clean out b/4 colonoscopy. I have seizures, hypoglycemia, adrenal exhaustion etc. I always pass out when I have an enema, how will I ever survive this procedure? I do not do well with sedation because of low BP. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
(female)

Tralalee HB User
Re: need colonoscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi2 View Post
I am 65 yrs old. During the physical exam at dr's office they found blood in my stool. It was not the home occult test I've always done at home but the one they do when doing pelvic exam. I call it a finger smear. I am worried about the stress of doing the fasting & clean out b/4 colonoscopy. I have seizures, hypoglycemia, adrenal exhaustion etc. I always pass out when I have an enema, how will I ever survive this procedure? I do not do well with sedation because of low BP. Thanks for your input.
To Sammi2,
Everyone doesn't have to go through that low residue diet before a colonoscopy. Besides that, you must remain in a good mind-set; regardless of whether you have to have that low residue. I did have to have it, my daughter did not. Make sure your Doc knows your concerns. Ask if it is absolutely necessary. If so, try your best to remain calm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

sammi,
Because of known physical problems as well as age--- as you know doing the prep for a colonoscopy can be very dangerous.

My experience is gastro doctors as well as their staff that I have had in the past do not listen to your complaints. If you have a PCP that knows you & your problems -- then I suggest that the Doctor that is going to prescribe the prep and do the Scope Exam consult with your Primary Care Doctor.

I have been put in the Hospital overnight for the prep and exam because the prep that cleans me out also depletes my electrolytes-- mainly potassium and results in an irregular heart beat and irratic B/P that scares me and is dangerous as well as your problems are !!

I made sure that the Standing Orders that were ordered by the Doctor--- were to test my potassium and take corrective action when it goes low. My prep was not started until 10pm and I had a Doctor in the room prior to that and explained my problems before I would do anything.

With your low B/P w/ sedation--- fainting, glucose problems and seizures that you have -- you have a right to be concerned as well as scared-- It scares me to even imagine such circumstances.
I think Doing a prep at home is out of the question for you-- it certainly would be for me if I were in your place.

I think you should be in a Hospital and the attending Doctor should know ALL your problems before you start.

For most people this procedure is not that bad for some of us it is very dangerous.

I wish you well ---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 09-28-2007 at 11:57 AM.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

Thanks for your support. It seems around here one size fits all. I would certainly feel better doing the prep in hospital but my guess is they won't let me. thanks again.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Sammi,

I would suggest that you make an appointment with the doctor who treats you for all of your health conditions. Go in and discuss your concerns face to face. You can ask any questions that you have about the prep and ask whether you should be in the hospital for it.

Sometimes too many things are lost in the "translation" when you try to do it over the phone with the nurse.

Maggie

Closed Thread