It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Fecal Occult Blood Test Is Positive....

I am shocked that 2 out of 3 were positive. I am pushed to a general surgeon Tuesday.

I have been having a lot of symptoms.... pain, weight loss, palpitations, fatigue & now this blood in my stool (which I had no idea was there!). The thing is that I am regular, having a bm daily, and have had no change in bowel habits. I do, however, have really firm poo... My husband & his father who is an MA said that it could just be caused by my firm poo scraping my intestines & that I should take some stool softener for a couple weeks & do the test again. The thing is that my doctor has an ASAP on this & wants me to have this done as soon as possible, the 20% weight loss has her concerned. I read online that you need 2 tsp of blood loss a day to have a positive test... That seems more than scraping a little in the intestines, or would firm poo cause that much blood loss? I really dodn't want to have the EGC & colonscopy done like the doctor wants me to. I don't want to do it at all, that's for sure. Should I put off the surgeon & try the stool softener & take the test again?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Fecal Occult Blood Test Is Positive....

Hukleberrie,

Get the tests done and over with. It's probably not as bad as you're imagining and it's better than waiting and worrying. I had a fecal test done that tested positive for mutation. I was hysterical because I have colon cancer in my family. I had the colonoscopy and one benign polyp was removed. Whew!! Go for it and keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Found a spot on the colonscopy. Surgeon thinks it's colitis. Took 3 biopsies, go back in 3 weeks to find out treatment. Don't have diahrrea though.... funnny.... thought you always had diahrrea with colitis....

Old 03-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Well, it turned out to be IBD. I still have been losing weight & have been ill for months. Finally saw a GI who immediately said IBD, just not sure if it's Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. Now I have to have ANOTHER colonoscopy, ugh!

Closed Thread