It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
(female)

Stigma HB User
Question History of Laxative Abuse & Chronic Constipation

I have been heavily abusing laxatives on and off for the past 12 years or so. Sometimes, I would stop for several months, and then I would go through periods of increasing both the dosage and frequency. I also have a binge eating disorder.

The type of abuse I'm talking about is, for instance, 2 packs of Carter's laxatives (each pack contains 25 small tablets), or 6 packs of chocolate ex-lax (each pack containing 48 chocolate tablets). This is a very realistic example, since it's precisely what I did on two different occassions last week.

Needless to say, I have been severely constipated over the past year or so. I strongly believe that the reason high-fiber and water intake does not work for me is because my stomach nerves and muscles have become so damaged that they don't contract properly, so the colon lacks tone. Even now when I take these huge amounts of laxatives, I get more cramps than diarrhea.

I eat A LOT of fruit and vegetables, and also drink herbal teas. "Normal" people would certainly get diarrhea if they ate these foods in the amounts that I consume them, yet I don't even have a bowel movement at all (just bloating and gas). I usually go to the bathroom once every three to four days and I used to go once to three times per day! I recently started taking acidophilus and doing colonics but even they are becoming less and less effective when I can't stop the laxative abuse.

My question is: what are some of the things I can do to restore my colon health (other than obviously stopping the laxatives all together, which I have to do anyway, b/c they don't work anymore)??? Has anyone gone through a similar experience or know of someone who managed to recover their bowel function? Would Chinese herbs help? I'm so desperate, I'm open to anything, as this is completely ruining my life.

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Stigma For This Useful Post:
NOTSONUTSO (11-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
(male)

Mr. Toilet HB User
Re: History of Laxative Abuse & Chronic Constipation

Hey, Stigma!

What You'll first want to do is settle in with the idea, and feeling of being calm, and positive. Stress can cripple the body, both physically and mentally.

Secondly, You'll want to gradually work off the amount of laxatives you are taking, at quarter intervals.

Along with a gradual diet change. Today many people are convinced that X diet, or B diet is the way to a healthy life-style, but honestly in the crowd of diets which call for specifics in what You eat, many people have become lost on the idea of simple moderation. Eat three meals a day, with two snacks in-between to keep your insides busy!

With that, have a little of everything. Try to incorporate protein, grains, fruits and vegetables into EVERY meal. As for snacks, they should be coupled with HIGH FIBER supplements. There are some exceptions to what you will want less of, as opposed to simply moderating it equally to the in-take of other foods.

Soda, canned foods, fast food, sweet and salty snacks (Processed).

I'm not saying You should IMMEDIATELY cut all that out, because...well...that's hard! Rofl, those are all tasty things that are difficult to keep away. So, what do You do? IMPROVISE.

Instead of soda, opt for some flavored vitamin water, or iced tea. Or low-fat, low-cholesterol chocolate milk.

Instead of candy, salty, sweet snacks (processed), take some fruits and get Yourself some natural honey! Or even some of those organic, fried fruit crisps!

Fast foods? Well, try to limit how much of that You eat to once every two weeks if You can.

WATER...WATER, WATER, WATER! Water is a miracle item all in itself! You'd be surprised at what some water can do! Being hydrated will improve Your overall mood! You should have a glass of water with each of your three meals, and a bottle with every snack!

Last, but certainly not least, if not the most IMPORTANT piece of advice I can give You...exercise, my friend. Exercise, and a good diet will ensure a long, and healthy life. It's simple.

Exercise WILL get Your insides working, it will revitalize your intestinal tracts as the metabolism is increased, the more stool You pass with less help from the laxatives, with exercise, the more strengthened the undulating motion of the tracts become as they work harder once more to pass Your waste along.

In months, You'll be back to normal! You'll feel better about yourself! You'll have energy, and gain tone. You'll even add on some years I bet :P

For the exercises themselves, I would suggest starting off a well-paced jog with some stretching, Simple stuff. Stand up-right with a straight posture, and gradually lean down with arms out stretched to touch your toes. Hold your position for a couple of seconds, slowly pull up and repeat.

For at least 45 minutes, starting off three times a week you should do some jogging, even if it's only around the house. Keep at a calm pace, but keep it so that SOME effort is involved. You should feel your heart beating distinctly, that way You know You're getting an excellent work out.

Never strain Yourself, do not exceed into a pace to which You begin to feel pain in your chest, difficulty breathing, dizziness or nausea. Remember, start off SLOW, keep up your breathing, and I also suggest jogging to some tunes. It'll help You focus, and keep interest.

After that, You should gradually slow down to a walk for 15 minutes to cool Your body down, once You feel comfortable, the day is free.

In the end, if You follow through, everything will be alright. So, Stigma, keep focused, stay on task, and try hard.

Good Luck

Last edited by Mr. Toilet; 10-03-2007 at 03:33 PM.

Closed Thread