It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
(female)

Clover100 HB User
Getting Nervous About Bowel Resection Surgery

The closer I get to my Oct. 25 surgery date, the more nervous I'm getting. I really have appreciated the earlier posts from people who have experienced this surgery. Liliboom---how are you feeling now that it's been several weeks since your surgery. I'm just scared they will get in there and decide to take out so much and put me on a temporary colostomy. I just think I would be so upset if that happened. I wouldn't feel like I could ever go out of the house if that happened. I'm planning to go to Florida for a couple of weeks in February and I will just die if I can't go----I absolutely hate cold weather and that's the only thing that helps me to survive winter. Any other's want to share their experiences with bowel resection surgery--I'm all ears.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
(female)

maggiemoo HB User
Re: Getting Nervous About Bowel Resection Surgery

Clover,

Usually the reason they do temporary colostomy is when they have to do the surgery as an emergency---where there is no prep to clean out the bowel. Didn't your surgeon say it was in the sigmoid area--which is where mine was. It doesn't sound like he would have to take out that much--I had about 8 inches removed. I can't imagine that you won't be able to go to Florida. Mine was also in late October. I was totally fine by Christmas. I even fixed Thanksgiving dinner for the family which was only a month after the surgery. Of course, my husband had to do the lifting of the turkey---and the turkey is a whole another story. He cooked it upside down--it was quite a sight but it really was good.

What you're experiencing with your nerves is normal. The thing to remember is that emergency surgery is much worse than having it scheduled. You and I got lucky before with avoiding emergency surgery with our perforations.

Find some projects to keep you busy between now and your surgery. Maybe you could get your Christmas shopping done--that would keep your mind occupied. If you're crafty, find some Christmas projects to do to give as gifts. I had several projects that I also did after my surgery. Treat yourself to some pampering--manicure, pedicure--whatever you like. I cleaned house so it would be done and I didn't have to worry about it. I also made sure I had everything I needed for post-surgery.

Hang in there.

Maggie

Last edited by maggiemoo; 09-28-2007 at 09:35 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
(female)

gomer4 HB User

Clover...........I had a colon resection a year ago April. I had about a foot of my sigmoid colon removed due to diverticulitis. It was the best decision I ever made regarding this problem. It seemed, looking back, that I was down for the count all the time because of this problem. I have not been sick since.

I was extremely nervous too beforehand, but knew I really didn't have alot of choice. Either do all I could do to fix the problem now, or wait until an emergency dictated the time for me. I wanted to do it when I was feeling good, which is what we did. I was in the hospital for a week, and then I gradually got back to my usual activities.

Trust your doctor and try not to worry. Best wishes and prayers........

Lori

Old 09-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

I am a couple of months shy of 2 years post-surgery. It has been so nice to not worry about what I am eating. I was to the point where I could not have fresh fruits and vegetables, skins, or just about any kind of roughage, before I had the surgery. It took awhile to be able to handle these foods after, but it was not so bad, just an occasional bout of gas or cramping, as my body got used to normalcy. The wait is the worst part! While I waited, I gave a lot of thought to what they were actually going to do to me, and I worried about leaking, breaking, etc. My doctor explained to me quite a bit about the staple ring they use, and where I was worried about having a solid movement, she wanted me to give it a good workout and keep it stretched and active. You will do fine! Please ask if you have specific questions or worries. Nothing is taboo here, when it comes to knowing exactly what will happen!

Renata

Old 09-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hey Clover......

Hang in there girl! You will do just fine!!!

As others have mentioned, the waiting and worrying is the worst. I had my daughter so upset with my obsessing. I've had 2 hip replacements in the past couple of years, but was scared silly about my re-section. Most of it was fear of the unknown...and that is so totally normal! You wouldn't be human if you weren't scared!!

The morning of surgery, I felt calm. I totally trusted my surgeon, knew I'd be going to have a nice sleep and wake up minus a section of colon that made me miserable every day of my life.

I did just great. Was back to work 3 days a week at 2 weeks (my surgery was August 6th.....almost 2 months now). I eat what I want and am so happy that there's no more cramping, bloating, etc. In fact, I hadn't realized just how bloated my stomach was for so long until after the surgery. No problem zipping up and fastening my pants now. They're loose, in fact!

Much better to do this surgery feeling healthy otherwise. I went into it feeling better than I had in a long, long time (A long course of Cipro and Flagyl after my hospitalization in May). I kept second guessing if I were doing the right thing.....and realized it was the smart and right thing to do at the time.

Like Maggie said.....keep busy. I, too, cleaned the house like a nut and spent a lot of time in my yard with my gardens. Just think, you will be a new person come Thanksgiving....if not sooner!!!

Much good luck and positive thoughts coming your way
Linda

The Following User Says Thank You to libloom For This Useful Post:
ashley0214 (08-17-2011)
Old 10-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
(female)

Clover100 HB User

Thanks everyone for your supportive thoughts. I must really be getting nervous because last night I had a strange dream. I was walking down a street and a doctor that I didn't know started walking beside me. He put his arm around my shoulders and said, "Are you sure you really want Dr. (my surgeon's name) to operate on you??" After that I woke up---but it creeps me out that maybe someone is trying to tell me something. I guess the mind can do strange things. My surgeon operated on a nephew (by marriage) last Fall and he seemed to get along OK and likes this surgeon.
Oh well---I'm always a worrier.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Clover.....

Think of it this way....if you would have answered "yes" to this mystery doctor who asked you that, he would have said "good....you are in good hands!"

Nerves....they do us in some times!!

Linda

Old 10-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Getting Nervous About Bowel Resection Surgery

I too am scheduled for a sigmoid colon resection surgery (Nov. 5th) and am also very worried about the colostomy. You said the same words I was thinking, about not wanting to see anyone or leave home if that happens. My wonderful surgeon told me that he would only be forced to do a colostomy if I start bleeding severely during surgery, or have some other serious complication during surgery. The worst part for me is hoping that I don't get another bad infection or perforation or abscess before the surgery date, because then I would probably have to have emergency surgery. Every little twinge, every bout with constipation, every too-heavy meal, makes me scared. I want the next 5 weeks to go by quick! Thanks to everyone for all the positive comments, it seems that on other boards all you hear are the horror stories. It's nice to hear the positives.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:17 AM   #9
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

Clover and Neon-I will say again, the waiting is the hardest part! It gives the mind too much thinking time, and too many worst case scenarios to create. I too had strange dreams, and many of them were about the operation. I even had a very vivid dream about watching my doctor do it, like an out of body type thing. It was very detailed, but not a scary thing. Neon-I was eating low residue/fiber for months before my operation. Even with that, I had to stay on the antibiotics up until the operation because I didn't seem to be able to keep from getting flare ups. Just not having to take those antibiotics alone is enough to make me grateful for the surgery, let alone the other effects of being able to eat balanced and healthy foods again and being free of constant infections. I think you will both be pleased with the results. Yes, there can be complications, there can be incision complications, and ng tubes and nausea in the hospital, etc., etc., but I think in the long run, most people have been pleased with the outcome! Ironically, I am still Mrs "Queasy," but it is not from diverticulitis. It is from a diabetic medication I am taking.

Renata

Old 10-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
(female)

ganma7 HB User

Hi, I too am scheduled Oct. 25 for a colon resection, depending on results of my colonoscopy on the 24th. I also have a large septated mass that they hope to be able to remove if the surgery happens. This will be my second colon resection, first one in 1990. I posted earlier today about this but haven't gotten a single reply. The first few days after surgery are not fun, but actually recovery afterwards is quite speedy. Good luck and I will have you in my prayers. Joyce

Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

I did see your post, but I don't really know much about it yet since I am waiting to have my surgery. I'm sorry you are having to go through it again! I hope it all goes very well. I have been put back on antibiotics since I am having a flare up, and I am hoping they work because I do not want to go back to the hospital! (Bad experience). I'm hoping the next 4 1/2 weeks go by well and quickly, because I really want to get this over with! Another issue is the fact that I work and am expected to put in a 40 hou week (also a 2 hour round trip commute) and I am missing so much work due to not always feeling well, and Iam getting a lot of negative flack from this. One more thing to deal with! The surgery can't come fast enough for me!

Again,, good luck and best wishes!

Old 10-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #12
(female)

Sallygal HB User
Exclamation Re: Getting Nervous About Bowel Resection Surgery

I was diognosed with diverticulitis, had the colonoscopy two days ago, and am waiting to hear from the surgeon. I'm hoping it's soon, but now after hearing what you are all saying about waiting so long for surgery, I'm wondering how long I will have to wait. I was told to eat whatever I want, which, is a little scary to me. I want it done laproscopicly, which is a faster recovery time. Anyone have this surgery?

Old 10-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
(female)

Clover100 HB User
Unhappy Re: Getting Nervous About Bowel Resection Surgery

Ganma and Red Neon---I can certainly appreciate your apprehension. I received a big packet of information from my surgeon last week. The worst thing is that I have to go through that darn "prep" again--like for a colonoscopy and not eat anything but clear liquids for TWO DAYS before the surgery. I remember how hungry I felt before the colonoscopy. On top of that, he sent me a prescriptions for two antibiotics (one is that terrible Flagyl which to me is like taking poison). Oh well, ten more days to go until the 25th. I guess I'll be thinking about you Ganma on our shared surgery date. If any others who have had this surgery want to share any positive thoughts--please do!

Old 10-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

Actually, I have been on Cipro and Flagyl for the past 11 days, and surprisingly, I was only nauseated the first 2 days, and now I feel fine. Only a decrease in energy (which I don't have much of anyway). And the bowel prep didn't bother me as much last time (for my colonoscopy). Maybe I've been through too much that these things don't bother me as much! (I had a pic line installed last time in the hospital...verrrryyyy unpleasant, as well as a drain in my lower abdomen that had to stay in for 10 days after I was released from the hospital). Anyway, I hope the procedures go easier than expected for you. I am looking forward to all of it because it means surgery and hopefully the end of all my colon issues. I have 3 more weeks and I am praying that they are infection free and that I can make it to the surgery date without any more complications. I will pray for you both on the 24th and 25th, and hope to hear from you as soon as you are able after surgery.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:34 PM   #15
(female)

Clover100 HB User

On a positive note, the surgeon's prescription for the "prep" medication was for Magnesium Citrate which is a 10 oz. bottle (instead of having to mix up gallons of that awful stuff). Granted, I have to drink three of them during the day on Tuesday before my surgery on Thursday the 25th--but I was able to get them in Cherry Flavor (which is better than the usual Lemon/Lime stuff and much less quantity). Maybe I can just pretend it's "Red Pop". Today I went through my pre-op tests at my family doctor's office. Did an EKG, chest x-ray, blood work, and the usual blood pressure, temps and listening to my chest. The doctor said I was "good to go". I certainly can appreciate what a "pain" those pick lines are. I had one for three weeks when I came home from my diverticulitis attack last Fall. I was always edgy when my husband would connect the tube to the IV port (too many old movies about killing someone with a air bubble). I guess the time will pass rather quickly now, which gives me less time to worry.

Closed Thread