It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
(female)

ganma7 HB User
Will a Dr. do a scheduled colonoscomy if you are having a bout of diverticulitis??

I have the beginning symptoms of diverticulitis. I am scheduled for a colonoscomy Oct. 24th and possibly surgery the next morning. I have delt with this for years. I had my first colon resection in 1990 but have continued to have about 2 bouts of diverticulitis a year. So, I am probably looking at another colon resection the 25th. I can probably manage this with not eating but was just wondering if they will follow through with the colonoscomy if when I get there I am having a flare up. Has anyone been in this situation? Should I go in and see him now? Thanks.. Joyce

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
(female)

lsmcam99 HB User
Re: Will a Dr. do a scheduled colonoscomy if you are having a bout of diverticulitis?

Hi Ganma -
While I've not been in your specific situation it is my understanding that a colonoscopy during a diverticulitis flare is not a good idea due to the risk of perforation.

Good Luck
Gilly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
(female)

maggiemoo HB User
Re: Will a Dr. do a scheduled colonoscomy if you are having a bout of diverticulitis?

Joyce,

Yes, you should probably go in and see your doctor now so this can be treated before your procedure.

I read your other post about another resection. Did they think there were some scattered diveticulas in the rest of your colon or did you develop some new ones. I think I live in fear of developing new ones.

With that being said, I'm off for my nightly dose of Metamucil.

Maggie

Old 10-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
(female)

ganma7 HB User

Thanks for the reply, Maggie. I did call my dr.'s office and was advised to mostly do a liquid diet and soft food, if any, for a few days. If things don't clear up, they will call me in antibiotics. My pain in my low left side is a little better, but the bad bouts of diahrea after eating are gone..since I am barely eating.
As for the second colon resection, I won't know until they do the colonoscopy. My first surgery was done by a different dr. The dr I see now told me about ten years ago that my first surgery was not done the way he would have done it and that this would haunt me one day. I do have more diverticuli... I as well have a septated cystic mass in my pelvic region and hopefully it can be removed with the same surgery. I have had a complete hysterectomy and the gyn says it's not his area but it definitely needs to come out. Guess I will just have to wait til the 24th. Isn't the waiting the worst part???? Joyce

Closed Thread