It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
(female)

kat62 HB User
Colonoscopy

For those of you that are scared of having a colonoscopy, please don't be. I was having stomach problems and they wanted to do one and I didn't want to do it, I was scared. I am so glad I did, the test was a cinch, now the prep the day before was not fun but once you get through that, the worst part is over. The test is nothing, you never feel a thing. I almost told them that I would just wait until I was 50, because that is what they say if you have no family history of colon cancer but I went ahead with it, I am 45. I had some inflammation and they found a polyp which they removed and the biopsy came back okay. So if anybody is contemplating doing it, get it done. It could save your life.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
(female)

bab87 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy

Glad to hear of your good experience. It seems that some people are asleep throughout and others awake and in pain. This may seem like a dumb question, but when my doctor gave me a prescription to have screening colonoscopy (I'm 52 yr. old female) she didn't tell me where to go. I am with Blue Shield and searched their site for "colonoscopy" with no luck.

Who performs colonoscopies, drs? technicians? Where are they performed
dr. offices, hospital? Do I need to see a gastroenterologist first?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Rachel,
Make an appointment with a gastroenterologist. They do the colonoscopies. Don't worry, it was easy for me too. The prep the day before is the worst, drinking that yucky stuff and on the pot most of the day. The procedure was not bad at all, over before I knew it. I was in a "twilight sleep". I waited until I was 57 because I was so scared and there is colon cancer in my family. Everything was fine, one small polyp and it was benign. I go back every 3-4 years because of family history. Just go and get it over with. Anticipation is worse than the real thing.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
(female)

Clover100 HB User

I have talked to lots of people who have had colonoscopies and they agree with my experience that "the prep" is the worst part. I woke up afterward feeling clear headed and even stopped for lunch at Cracker Barrel on the way home because I was really hungry after nothing but liquids the day before. My suggestion for surviving "the prep": get a good book and camp out on the commode for the evening. Also, it pays to wear something like Depends if you decide not to "camp out" in the bathroom because when "the urge" hits---the results are almost instantaneous.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
(female)

kat62 HB User

I cannot tell you just how easy it was and yes, a gastroenterologist performs it. I was having stomach trouble and that is one of the things they do I guess, do the colonoscope which I always said I would never do. Now I wonder what in the world was I so afraid of. I'm so glad I went ahead and did it, I also had a benign polyp and some inflammation and I have to have it again in 4 years. I didn't stop at Cracker Barrel on the way home but I did go through the drive-thru at Wendy's. Anything was good at that point. I was starving. You can't have anything but clear liquids the day before. After the prep, the rest is a cinch, I promise, but you can get through the prep just stay close to your bathroom. I also was clear headed after it was over but each person is different.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Thanks for the info guys!

Hey, it sounds as if it's best NOT to go to work when you're doing the prep!

My mom has endured this several times, so I sort of know. Mom is really bad, though - she lets it wreck her entire being to where she is practically "sick" and can hardly get to the hospital for testing! Then she feels awful many days after - she gets way too emotional and depressed over the weakness and diarrhea of the prep, as well as stressing over what "they're going to find"!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
(male)

AnxiousMan HB User

I had it today and it was fine. Ask for pain killers and sedation through the vein. I was awake but don't remember anything almost as if I was drunk through it.

It is totally fine and nothing to worry about at all.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
(female)

bab87 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiraven View Post
Rachel,
Make an appointment with a gastroenterologist. They do the colonoscopies. Don't worry, it was easy for me too. The prep the day before is the worst, drinking that yucky stuff and on the pot most of the day. The procedure was not bad at all, over before I knew it. I was in a "twilight sleep". I waited until I was 57 because I was so scared and there is colon cancer in my family. Everything was fine, one small polyp and it was benign. I go back every 3-4 years because of family history. Just go and get it over with. Anticipation is worse than the real thing.
Thanks for the reply. I thought there would be some sort of designated lab or such, kind of like with a mammogram and I would not need to go see another doctor before I get the screening colonoscopy.
(The moderator changed my user name from RachelKnott to bab87 in case you are wondering where I came from!)

Last edited by bab87; 10-25-2007 at 01:53 PM. Reason: left out word.

Closed Thread