It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
(male)

Desmond1990 HB User
Strange symptoms... Mucus-like substance

Hi, I've been experiencing strange symptoms. I've looked all over the internet, and when I couldn't find anything, I came to this site because I found another persons thread useful a few years ago

I drink a lot of coffee and water, and I've been drinking coffee for many years, so I'm used to going to the toilet a lot, and my body seems to have a high caffine tolerance. I sometimes get a 'bloated' feeling... And whenever I go to the toilet, I'll try to poop to releave the bloated feeling. Gas often comes out. This is 'normal' for me.

Recently, I've noticed that as well as gas, a thick translucent mucus-like substance will also come out too. This has been happening for probably about two months. I didn't think anything of it until today, where I also saw -what I assumed to be blood- within the mucus. There wasn't much 'blood', but I'm sure that any is bad. I've been watching out for any red colours since, and I haven't spotted any(I'm wondering if it could have been a red shade of brown). I rarely get constipation or diarrhea (despite the coffee). I'm not overweight, but I'm not a 'health-friek' either

(I think) My diet contains a lot of sugar, sodium, fat, starch and not much protein. I eat a lot of fruit (mainly oranges and apples). I'm a vegetarian, and have been for 12 years. I do not eat meat or fish, though I do eat eggs(<-extremely rarely), cheese and milk. My main source of protein is from artificial meats, such as quorn. And I drink about 8 cups of brewed coffee a day, in patterns like: 2/3 cups, 6 hours with none, 2/3 cups, 6 hours with none, 2/3 cups. I eat quite a lot of food, but my metabolism is quite high.

....I also have two cats.

I feel healthy, and I've never felt any pain. Well, I sometimes feel a hot sting for a few seconds AFTER I have an exeptionally big poop (whether thats normal or not). That is very rare though.

Please tell me whether I have a problem, or is this normal? The 'mucus' definitely is not diarrhea, it's a clear/brown sticky, thick goo.

Please help,
Desmond

Last edited by Desmond1990; 10-14-2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Wanted to expand on several points

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
(female)

annoid77 HB User
Re: Strange symptoms... Mucus-like substance

I had that mucus and blood. I believe the mucus is from colon irritation. The blood however could be ulcerative colitis, which I had.

These things happening to your GI are an indication that it doesn't like what you are doing to it. When I was young, I thought it was cool to be tough and eat anything I want and just deal with the consequences. I did finally have to have my entire large intestine removed because it really got sick and I could no longer control it.

You should go to your doctor with these symptoms and pay attention to what your body is telling you. I believe that you are making it very unhappy.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond1990 View Post
I sometimes get a 'bloated' feeling... And whenever I go to the toilet, I'll try to poop to releave the bloated feeling. Gas often comes out. This is 'normal' for me.

Recently, I've noticed that as well as gas, a thick translucent mucus-like substance will also come out too. This has been happening for probably about two months. I didn't think anything of it until today, where I also saw -what I assumed to be blood- within the mucus. There wasn't much 'blood', but I'm sure that any is bad. I've been watching out for any red colours since, and I haven't spotted any(I'm wondering if it could have been a red shade of brown). I rarely get constipation or diarrhea (despite the coffee). I'm not overweight, but I'm not a 'health-friek' either
Hi there, it is so funny people are this week out of the blue bringing up things that I am suddenly experiencing too! LOL

My main curiosity now from your post is the "mucous", but let me bore you with the whole thing you talk about.

Now, I'm a bit different from you - I'm pregnant! But, I've been fighting UPPER GI problems for 2 years now - with some possible related lower GI issues.

Anyway, 1 thing that has happened to me since knowing I was pregnant (after 1 month) is constant bright bleeding when I have BM. 3 months of this. I've had a huge hemorrhoid for some 12 years now, and when I 1st got rectal bleeding this time around, it was just after I found out about prego AND I noticed distinctly that "tearing" feeling that 1st day when BM. I figured another fissure split open partly thanks to that stupid "hemo".

I just talked to my OB-GYN yesterday, and mentioned how I've been bleeding on every BM for months (I'm 5 mos now, growing in size finally). Knowing my history with GI he said it's probably nothing more than my pregnancy "engorging" "down there" aggravating hemo and fissure causing lots of trouble. See, lots of blood is down there so veins may be really sensitive.

But that's me, which would not be you as a man! But bear in mind, I did have a big hemo for years and I've had fissuring in the past. I've had bleeding episodes before - just not for months straight!

But last week, I noticed I am now often "spitting out" what I might call little mucous stools! Actually, they're so small and seem so hard, I wasn't sure if they were REAL stool in tiny form, all gray/white (alarm signal!).

Often happens in the morning, when I awake and 1st go to bathroom. Generally all I need on waking is #1, so I don't expect any stool. But now the last few weeks I have alot of gas spitting out in the morning when I sit on the toilet. Last week, I happened to notice this little white thing lying at the bottom! Then other times, it has happened when I "pass gas" on the toilet. They always seems small, no more than 1" long/wide. Sometimes I have my blood in them - see above.

So, I sympathize. Only I often feel "oh, more pregnancy complications", so I don't totally freak out!

Maybe you should just ask your doctor about all this. If I wasn't always getting in trouble at work thanks to so many doc appts (now mainly prego, but before GI problems), I'd probably go pronto, just because I've never even heard of it on these medical things!

Tell us if you find anything. I'll tell you if I do - if I am motivated enough to go!

Old 10-20-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
(male)

Desmond1990 HB User

Hey.

I haven't suffered from my gas symptoms since I posted my first post. The hint of blood in the mucus has only occured once, and I'm sure that it didn't happen before (I'm sure that I would have noticed it). My stool are still covered in mucous (though they're slightly less 'mucousy' than they were before I tried improving my diet) and I'm still not feeling any pain.

My stool are a dark brown, I don't know whether thats normal/good/bad, they also come out in usually a mixture of a few small round 'rabbit droppings' or larger lumps (I think they are hard)...Which I also don't know if thats normal/good/bad. I think that could be a sign of mild constipation, but I never have trouble getting it out (lol... probably the mucous acting as a lubricant). I think I'll try to eat more high-fibre breakfast cerial or something.

I read somewhere that the amount of mucous can increase if your digestive system is unhappy with the pH of your diet I've cut down on the coffee, which I assume should create a better pH. And I've heard of white stools before; I think they have a number of causes.

If I had a hemroid or any cuts within my colon/rectum, would I feel any pain? And if there is pain, is it obvious?

Thanks,
Desmond

Old 10-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

All I can say for sure is that if my (big) hemorrhoid "acts up" (I guess if it's irritated by bowel, maybe dry constipation), it can hurt for a while. Sometimes even not on the toilet, it's an irritating feeling. Same basically for fissures on the anus, but they give a very distinctive "tear" feeling when they 1st occur - a burning type of paper-cut pain. While not as bad, after the fact the fissure and an irritated hemo both feel like a paper cut trying to heal. I can't tell you about internal for sure, because I don't know that I have those issues. I'd imagine they're not much different in that awful "tear" feeling.

As for white STOOL proper, I'd be alarmed because consistent gray and clay and "white" is often described as a bad liver problem. I'm not sure I've gone that far yet, and since it's only when it's spat out by gas and I often have mucous in my stool, I just assume it's a ball of muscous! I hope that's all we have.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Hi everyone, boy am i glad i'm not the only one here. I have posted before and got no reponses hopeing to get some here? I am having abdominal discomfort and mucus yellowing floating stools does anyone know or relate to this as well? Does anyone think having ovarian cysts and bowel problems could make this all worse?
Love, Monkey

Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey5 View Post
Hi everyone, boy am i glad i'm not the only one here. I have posted before and got no reponses hopeing to get some here? I am having abdominal discomfort and mucus yellowing floating stools does anyone know or relate to this as well? Does anyone think having ovarian cysts and bowel problems could make this all worse?
Love, Monkey
Hi, please ask a doctor about yellow stools if they are persistent. Sometimes, I have read they can be a bit worrisome, almost like the gray/clay colored. Also mention the other symptoms, but the 1 detail here that'd make me flag is the yellow.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

olinerebel, thanks for the reply, i have also been concerned for a while, i am having my ultrasound on halloween. I'm not sure whats going on and if i get any worse again if i have to i'm gonna crawl to the er as of right now everything i eat comes back out and thats pne of the reasons i had to quit drinking even socially. All my blood work came back normal, but they think it's ithier my gallbladdr or liver, not sure if my liver blood work can come back normal in this case or not. I just want it to go away or be fixed.
Love, Monkey

Old 10-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Dear bowel sufferers. i wanted to add a few more things and wonder how concerned i should be and if this is more GI gallbladder or liver related, i am seaking to get some comfort in waiting for ultrasound ugh. I have some yellow stools, some mcus and thier semi long and like weird shaped basically and very loose some of it floeats to the bottom and some float and i get very bad discomfort in the upper right abdimen and it i always feel real pressure in that area of the liver and its like it can feel numbness also like it's radiating up to below the breast and if i sit sraight up it gets very uncomfortable when i stand i get some relief, but i have alot of swelling across the whole upper abdomen. What does this sound like, i know something is wrong but just need my mind eased till i can get through this. I am very concerned about the liver as i have taken pain pills fo a long time do to back problems. And i do know that i can get off them and maybe get relief some other way and save my liver if thats the case, so chat away as i am not scared of the unknown too much! I know my body is telling me something is wrong, but when do you really worry if dr.s have rules they have to go by to get you diagnosed.
Love, Monkey
Love, Monkey

Closed Thread