It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
(male)

CaptainCrunch HB User
Pain in the butt!

Hey there. Thanks for reading.
Every now and then over the last 7 years I'm woken up in the middle of the night by a sharp pain. It is so random. Sometimes it's once a month or twice a week. I can't seem to link it to anything. It only happens during the night when I'm in bed.

-It feels like it's a couple inches inside.
-No blood.
-I've pressed around the area and it doesn't increase the pain.
-I've streched and exercised to try to pinpoint the pain location exactly but it's very difficult.
-I usually take a pain killer and it lets me get back to sleep.
-I almost always wake up with an erection when it happens but lasts well afterwards.
-Actually sometimes the pain only lasts for 10 minutes and then I can get back to sleep

I have a bad habbit of "holding it" when I need to go #2 until I can get to a more suitable place to go to a bathroom. I have a feeling that has something to do with it.

I remember seeing a poster in a doctors office a long time ago that showed how you can rupture your bowel system. It showed waste squeezing though holes/cracks in a bowel. Does anyone know what that is called?

I'm living in a foreign country at the moment and can't communicate so I'm afraid to get checked out.

I'm afraid it's cancer or something.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
(male)

CaptainCrunch HB User
Re: Pain in the butt!

nobody wants to give their two cents? Is there a place on the net where I could learn the top 10 problems/symptoms people have with their digestive systems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
(female)

beachlovr HB User

There is a name for the pain you are describing. My mom and her mom had the same rectal pain you are describing. My mom almost always gets it in the middle of the night. I recently heard the name for this particular rectal pain but cannot think of it. I believe that it does not have other underlying implications and that it is just basically intermitant rectal pain but I could be wrong. If you search around on different medical websites, I'm sure you will find the name for it and more details about it.
Good luck!

Old 10-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
(female)

LanieJayne401 HB User

The name of what you have is Proctalgia Fugax. I have it also, had all kinds of tests done, but nothing showed up. I found it by research.
Check it out. Hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
(male)

drhunter HB User

Sounds like LanieJane401 gave you the right answer to your question based on symptoms. Sugest you google the term proctolagia fugax and see if symptoms match yours. One other less likely diagnosis is levator ani syndrome. Check them both out and see which one matches your rroblem more closely.
As far as I know there is no treatment for proctologia fugax but you can take ibuprofin or muscle relaxants or have the levator ani muscle massaged to achieve some relief. Hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
(female)

bess01 HB User

Hi to all you people who suffer from this problem. Fortunately i dont suffer from this my self,BUT i have seen first up,from my loved ones, who suffer from this horrible delibertating problem.My husband has had this problem lots of times in our marriage life.I am also sorry to tell you that its also inherited,our second daughter was only 5 when she had her first attack,she is now 34 and still gets an attack.My husband does not get as many attacks as he used to, thankfully.He always needs to take panadol when he gets the pain,and now he finds it helps by going to the toilet and tries to move his bowels.For some reason i dont think its as bad now as when he was a young man.I remember once when he was a young man the pain was so fierce that he was groaning in agony and his skin was all cold and clammy.Our poor daughter used to cry in agony and warm baths and pain medicine did nothing to help.I took her to 3 different doctors with this problem and not one of them knew what was wrong.Now when she has an attack she drinks a full bottle of prune juice.I am so pleased you have posted your story,I looked up proctalagia fugax and it fits the description of my husband and daughter to a T.I am going to post my daughter a print out about proctalagia fugax.Another thing, my husband believes in, is eating cooked cabbage every night.Best wishes from bess01.

Closed Thread