It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User
Lap or Open colon resection

I am now scheduled for colon resection surgery in early November and of course suffering the anxiety and dread. My doctor said that he always starts as a Lap procedure but will switch to open if it is required. He said it is 50/50 with me that it may have to be an open surgery due to inflammation. I know that the Lap is supposed to be easier for pain and faster recovery. I would like to know if someone has had both and could tell if it was a really big difference and how. I am not vain so the scar is not that big an issue for me. I am hoping for the lap but wondering how much worse it is to have an open procedure.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
Re: Lap or Open colon resection

Hi there.....I had a resection done around 3.5 years ago and ended up having it Laproscopically with the surgeon informing me exactly what you have been told. I woke up and the first thing I did was look at my bandage and saw that I had it lap and then went back to sleep!!

I have frequented this board and must tell you that whether it is done lap or open the recuperation period is pretty much the same. As far as the handiwork done internally there are the same amount of muscles and layers cut and resutured and so the pain and recuperation is pretty much around 4-6 weeks. In fact, my doctor told me that having it done lap poses somewhat more of a risk since the surgery takes longer and you are under general anesthesia for a longer period of time. However, I must say that I was much relieved to see that I had it done lap.

Good thing is that since I have had my resection I have had no further episodes of infection or problems. I can eat EVERYTHING, nuts, seeds, popcorn, and my favorite EVERYTHING bagels!! Not having to be hospitalized for 5-7 days or on those nasty meds for 10 days is such a relief!!

When you go for the surgery the most important thing to remember is to get out of bed ASAP....the faster you are walking around the faster your bowels will wake up and things will get moving and you will go home. I was in the hospital for 3 or 4 days and had a PCP pump of morphine which took care of the pain and after that a med called toridol which was an injection that lasted a good 6 hours and didn't zonk me out as much so I could get up and about during the day. I saved the morphine for at night which allowed me to sleep.

When you come out of the surgery some surgeons will have a nasogastric tube in your nose to your stomach but I didn' have that....it was removed in the recovery room before I even woke up. You will also have a foley catheter to collect your urine which you will welcome not having to get up to go to the bathroom until you are up to it. That only stayed in for a day.

As far as when you get home have loose fitting clothes such as sweats without a tight elastic band. You will probably be able to eat a regular diet except avoiding anything hard to digest such as the seeds and nuts, beef, raw veggies or fruits, potatoe skins or skins of veggies and fruits and the like. Otherwise everything is okay.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. There are still a few of us resecties around to help alleviate any anxiety you may have.

~ Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User

Thanks so much goody2shuz,
What you have told me is certainly good to know. I am sure that you also had the anxiety before and can appreciate my aprehensions. I am hoping that my results are as good as yours have turned out.
gary

Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
(female)

Clover100 HB User

Goody2shuz---is the pain a sharp type or a very sore muscle type following the surgery? Does it feel like a diverticulitis attack pain? I can tolerate a sore-type pain, but I'm worried about severe pain. As a child, I had a ruptured appendix and almost died. I can still remember the horrible pain and I think that's why I'm getting upset the closer it gets to my surgery date next Thursday. I really hope the doctor can do is laproscopically. Right now I am in pretty good shape with no seeming infection. Can you describe what kind of pain you had and more about the needle in your back for pain relief (that sounds absolutely horrible too).

Closed Thread