It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User
after colon resection surgery?

Hi,
I am scheduled soon for colon resection. I am 60, but have been active with jogging, sports and going to gym for weight lifting on a regular basis for 25 years. I see that people do talk about return to work and eating more freely after this surgery. I am wondering if you feel that you ever return to 100% of your pre surgery physical condition and would I be able to pick up my regular physical activities that I had before. Maybe you never recover 100% from any surgery once you are 60 years old. I don't know and would appreciate you sharing your experience if and how long the total physical recovery takes. I know about not lifting heavy weight (5 lbs. ?) for a time. Can the colon connection or stitches tear or separate after it is healed? Would that be a permanent weak spot in your colon?
gwb

Last edited by gwb123; 10-19-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
(female)

peacefrog HB User
Re: after colon resection surgery?

I was concerned about that when I had my colostomy and reversal. My surgeon said it will actually be stronger when the "reconnection" is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hi.....

I agree with peacefrog that the re-sected colon would be stronger. The area being removed is weakened and thin and the two sections being connected would be healthy colon.

As for physical activity (specifically those you asked about), I see no reason that you'll not be able to jog, play sports and exercise at the gym. I am 60 and had my re-section in August and was back to normal (for me) activities within 6 weeks. Mind you, I have 2 total hip replacements, too, so no jogging on the agenda for me!! However, I do go to a gym and work the machines that work for me!

Good luck,
Linda

Old 10-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
(female)

Clover100 HB User
Unhappy Re: after colon resection surgery?

I appreciate all the information about the ability to function after surgery. I am an avid walker and usualy do over 2 miles on 4 or 5 days a week. The thing I worry about is possibly having chronic loose stools or being consitipated afterward. I have always been very "regular" and that's one reason I was shocked to have a diverticulitis attack last year. It must be genetic because I certainly didn't "fit the mold". I exercised, had lost a bunch of weight, never was constipated, and never felt I had any problem before it struck. Anyway, I really hope I will be back to being my old self by at least Thanksgiving time. I just wish the surgery next Thursday was over.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Clover.....

I didn't fit the mold either and had more than one doctor tell me that. I also had one tell me that it had taken years for my colon to become so diseased. Diverticular disease is insidious.....and I also believe there is a genetic pre-disposition.

Good luck with your surgery next week!

Linda

Closed Thread