It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 02:01 AM   #1
(male)

AnxiousMan HB User
Colitis - How many types are there?

After being given the all clear with one doctor I tried another one as my symptoms persisted. I wanted a colonoscopy too. Today they tell me I have Colitus.

Is this life treatening? Is there now a high chance of getting Cancer?

Last edited by AnxiousMan; 10-23-2007 at 10:43 AM.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
Re: Colitus

My mother has had colitis since in her 30s. She's 70 now. She more lately struggles with all kinds of GI issues (GERD, gall bladder out now, diverticulitis), but thankfully, nothing "serious", yet.

I think you can have really bad colitis which can make daily life a real hell, but don't know if it's a precursor of cancer. I think you do have to watch out for maybe colon problems. But I think it's partly the degree. You can suffer intermittantly for years and not come up with any deadly disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
(male)

AnxiousMan HB User

I am waiting to hear if it is an infection or full on Colitis/Chrohns desease which is inflammatory Bowel Desease. The biopsies will tell us better.

The GI has suggested doing stool test (check for infection) and more blood tests to check for inflammation.

I am so scared, the uncertainty, the links with cancer, the problems later on in life and surgery.

Physically I feel fine and have no pain or anything bad, the only thing I get is hemmoroid like fresh blood with BM's.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 AM   #4
(male)

AnxiousMan HB User

Can anyone help?

I have patchy inflammation on the right and left colon - (Minor to Moderate) and I keep hearing of people wwith terrible symptoms in UC.

What are ‘attacks’? I feel well and I don’t have diarrhoea and I don’t go to the toilet more than 3 times a day. I only get rectal bleeding – so how would I know if there is an attack? Some of the stories I have read are of people seriously unwell, will my condition get worse?

I feel fine, except I have Colitis or Chrons....am I not supposed to be bed ridden?

I am confused.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I don't think you are supposed to be sick just because you have Crohn's or Colitis. I have Crohn's and usually I am perfectly fine. Occasionally I feel sick, I get this burning/tearing feeling in my stomach, blood and just a feeling of being unwell. I know the signs now so when it starts I can start my treatment (several pills a day for a few months) and I feel better soon. Of course down the road the inflammation can cause damage that needs surgical repair but that's not inevitable.

You should really Google crohn's and colitis, there are lots of foundations out there with great information about the disease. Lots of people lead active lives. Some people go years without any flare ups.

BTW, I'm 37 yrs old and been aware of this for a few years now. I live a very typical/normal life. I coach soccer and cheerleading and run a business.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:35 AM   #6
(male)

AnxiousMan HB User

My point is that I don't have any flare ups, all I see is blood in stools with no pain or any other issues. Is this what you would call a flare up?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:42 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I think any symptom of inflammation would be a flare up. You are very lucky to not have pain... they should be starting you on some medications and the blood will go away.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
(male)

AnxiousMan HB User

Thanks for the info. I am waiting for biopsy results but the GI is confident it is Colitis that is causing my bleeding. I have no other symptoms except for maybe slight increased Bowel Movements but it's only about 3 a day.

God willing it will be the curable Colitis, and not the IBD version. Whatever happens, I am so scared of developing cancer as I have patchy inflammation on all 3 parts of the my colon.

Any other UC sufferers out there?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #9
(female)

kymetime HB User

Hi..I suffer from a supposedly "slight case" of UC but I seem to think that it is worse than the doctor is letting on. I have to constantly worry about what I eat and I have not pinpointed the exact things that bother me so wherever I go I need to know where the bathroom is. The doctor said that he doesnt want to put me on the meds for UC but I just want to at least try them to see if they work so maybe I can get some kind of peace. I am sick of having to take imodium after I eat and always being worried if the food I eat that day is going to be a problem. I dont know if anyone else feels the way I do but its not a fun feeling. Sorry I just needed to vent a little, it somtimes helps!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
(male)

pbumps HB User

As I understand it, there is only a slight increase in one's probability of getting colon cancer once they've had UC. The probability increases over time, as it does with all not aflicted with UC.

I think we all, those of us with a bowel disorder, fear mostly the unknown. Keep researching and share your knowledge, it will help us all.

Closed Thread