It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Long time :(

Is it normal to have diarroerah for almost 5 days?

I started having it last saturday night and have had it pretty much contsantly since. Yesterday i felt a bit better so decided to eat some egg and bread, plain and bland i thought.

2am this morning i woke with bad stomach ache, i went to the toilet and had a bad diarroerah attack again. But when i got to go back into bed i had this horrible sensation of my whole body stinging and burning, right through my back and stayed burning in the back of my neck.

I woke my Husband up in a panic and called an ambulance, they came did some checks and took me off to Hospital. My sats were 100% BP was fine and pulse fine, my sugar levels were fine too.

I had a further 2 attacks at the Hospital but the hot feeling seemed to subside.

The Doctor did some usual tests but NO bloods she didnt think it necessary as she palpated my stomach and it was all very soft, no masses anywhere.

She decided that i have a viral gastroenteritis, and that only thing she could give me was anti spasmodic drugs to calm my stomach, which havent worked too well.

I feel weak, empty and thristy, she said i wasnt dehydrated as i hadnt vomitted at all.

How long does it take for a virus like this to pass? it seems to be going on and on, and the longer it goes the more im worried its something more serious.

Anyone have any input please?

Last edited by Worrybucket; 10-25-2007 at 07:20 AM.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Re: Long time :(

Try the BRAT diet.....bananas, rice, applesauce and toast (dry).

If blood tests or urinalysis weren't done, how could the doc be sure you weren't dehydrated? Drink, drink and drink some more....Gatorade or something similar.

Sounds like a virus and these bugs can last a week or longer.....

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 03:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

i totally starved myself for 24 hours yesterday, i didnt have any bowel movements at all, and no cramps. So on the nurses advice i eat some soup and about 9 hours later i have stomach cramps AGAIN, feel like i need to go to the loo, but havent yet. Can this bug STILL be there a week later???????? its getting me down.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Yep.....the gut isn't ready for certain foods yet. The good news is that it didn't go right thru you. It stayed in!

Seriously....try some plain rice, applesauce and dry toast. Gentle on the stomach.

These stomach bugs can be nasty and hang around for a while.

Linda

Old 10-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
(female)

roseang HB User

It just sounds like you have a bug, maybe the stomach flu.

Just keep hydrated and you should be fine in a week or so.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

It.s getting me down, it feels like ive had it forever!!

I think i may have turned a corner now as i can eat small amounts and it doesnt go right through me, so hopefully im getting over it. Its been awful

Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Dear worry.....

Years ago, I had a stomach virus like you're going thru. 5-6 days of diahhrea and felt like crap. My grandmother's "cure" was to mix a teaspoon or so of cornstarch in a glass of water (I did juice).....and it worked! I'm thinking it was very similar to Immodium, which wasn't around in those days.

It does sound like you've turned the corner....but remember to hydrate a lot.

Good luck,
Linda

Old 10-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks very much

its really knocked the stuffing out of me.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

i thought i was getting over this. But today ive had stomach ache again and going ot toilet quite a bit too, although my stool is firmer, but still not right,. Should this be going on so long???? its been 10 days now.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hi worry.....

10 days is a long time. Do you have a family physician who could see you? Do a stool sample and prescribe some antibiotics? This may be bacterial instead of viral, in which case you'd need a course of medicine.

At least the stool has firmed and is not liquid. These bugs can be "buggers," but you have gone on long enough without further testing.

I'm sorry.....but do you have a history of diverticular disease?

Keep us posted....good luck,
Linda

Old 10-31-2007, 04:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

liboom,

I just got back from the Docs after another night of the runs!!

He has said its bacterial and that i need to take some antibiotics now. I have to take 8 a day !!!! i dont do good with antibiotics but i have to try something. Its getting silly now. So im on them a week, lets see if this gets rid. I have to have another stool test done when ive completed them. Will keep you posted. Thanks

Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Wow...8 a day? That's okay, it's necessary......

A little secret when I had to take so many antibiotics for my diverticulitis (especially the Flagyl). I hid the pill in a teaspoon of yogurt. Any kind will do. The pill slid right down. Same concept with jello...... Eat a few crackers or a piece of bread before taking them.

How long are you on them? A week? 10 days?

Good luck.....
Linda

Old 10-31-2007, 10:22 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Im on them a week from today.

My poor stomach seems already ripped to shreds with the bug, now the antibiotics will make it worse. But i cant go on with this diarreoh, and the cramps in the night are horrible.

Its really scary when you get something like this, The Doc says its ok not a serious bug, but does need to be eradicated. i hope i start to feel better soon, thanks for your concern

Last edited by Worrybucket; 10-31-2007 at 10:23 AM.

Closed Thread