It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
(female)

KatyaS HB User
Diverticulitis/Diverticulosis vs. IBS

I was hospitalized with a nasty case of diverticulitis this summer - had a big ol' abscess, etc. - and at my last follow-up visit, my surgeon said he wanted to have me in for a colonoscopy just to confirm it wasn't IBS. I'm doing some research, but it seems to me that my symptoms don't match IBS - what my problem was: I became severely constipated and then severely in PAIN. They did a CT scan with contrast and found the abscess and hospitalized me and put me on heavy-duty antibiotics. At first the doctor thought he might have to do a surgery right away, but the antibiotics seemed to do the trick and now with lots of fiber in my diet I seem to be doing OK - well, other than the fact I continue to have pain in the lower part of my abdomen, a few inches inside my pelvic bones, if I put pressure there (doesn't take much pressure, either). Sometimes there is pain below my belly button, too. I actually spent over a year before I was hospitalized thinking this pain was ovarian cysts, because I'd had a couple ultrasounds that showed I have huge ovarian cysts - even had a surgery to remove an ovary, but when the doctor got in there the cyst was gone. I'm wondering now if they were seeing the wrong thing. Anyway . . . I'm babbling, mostly because this is seriously strange. I also suffer from fibromyalgia and chronic pain from problems in my neck and thoracic and lower back. So, I'm a bit of a mess. . . Anyway, anyone have any ideas re: diverticulosis vs. IBS and whether I should let him do that colonoscopy, or is he just trying to squeeze more money out of me? Thanks :-)

Katy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lady287 HB User
Re: Diverticulitis/Diverticulosis vs. IBS

I am new to this too and not sure that I can answer your question. But I just had a colonoscopy this morning and glad that I did. I was hospitalized for four days in late September due to a perforation. I never even knew I had diverticulitis. They told me then that I needed a colonoscopy in four weeks followed by a resection in four more weeks. I was also wondering if all this was necessary. I have MS and only can get catastrophic health insurance, so my out-of-pocket will run in the thousands. But the colonoscopy showed diverticulosis thoughout entire colon, but no more inflammation from the Sept flare-up. I was hoping that it would make the surgery unnecessary, but he said that once you have a perforation it should be taken care of. (He was not affiliated with the surgeon in the hospital, i was seeking out a second opinion). So what the colonoscopy did for me today was that -- it confirmed the diverticulitis and at least I know. I also found it to be a breeze compared to the flare-up and awful antibiotics. I was able to use Osmoprep, which was in pill form rather than the terrible drink-stuff i hear so much about. I feel like I may as well get all this done in the calendar year, and hopefully start new and fresh and healthy in 2008!!

Old 10-31-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Re: Diverticulitis/Diverticulosis vs. IBS

First, definitely have the colonoscopy....if for no other reason than a look around in there. However, I'm not sure IBS can be diagnosed with a colonoscopy. He may be looking for the diverticular disease and inflammation.

Secondly, I, too, was hospitalized with an abcess and perforation (which was contained) this past May and ultimately had the re-section surgery on August 6th. Feel fine now...no more pain, cramping, bloating, gas.

All along, I thought I had IBS (and this after 2 colonoscopies in the past 10 years). They had found some diverticular disease....but, as the doc put it, nothing significant. Ha! So much for that theory.....

Most importantly, whenever you feel you are having a diverticulitis flare, take your temp. I was sick as a dog with a fever of 102, chills, etc.

Good luck,
Linda

Closed Thread