It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

peacefrog HB User
Post colostomy reversal question

Okay.. had a colostomy for diverticulitis with perforated colon, and C-Diff. Reversal was successful 10 months ago. Now experiencing a feeling of unbearable fullness immediately below the sternum after eating. It hurts to touch, frequent (6-8/day) tho not loose bms, rectal soreness with perhaps a little discharge(not stool or blood, just sticky. sorry for being graphic) occasional sharp pain in right lower abdomen, and a combination feeling of gnawing (lile hunger) and being bruised on the stomach. Feels like I was punched repeatedly. Currently on Asacol and it really seems to help, but wonder if I should pursue the cause. Hate to have another winter like last. Think I'll seek out a gastroenterologist, but wondered if anyone was familiar with the symptoms. Thanks

Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
(female)

sj2110 HB User
Re: Post colostomy reversal question

Have you taken any probiotics to replace the good flora of your gut? I have a colostomy and will have it reversed next week. Last year I had an emergency colostomy due to invasive endometriosis. I have found that digestive enzymes and probiotics are very helpful in re establishing normal function, reducing gas and cramping and also enabling the body to fully use the nutrients in food. Try it. I use 'Bio Beads' since they are guaranteed to disolve only in the intestines, not in the stomach where the flora can be killed. I also you digestive enzymes. Once in a while I use simethicone in gel cap form. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Post colostomy reversal question

peacefrog,

The below sternum pain after eating is usually caused by a hiatal hernia and has nothing to do colon problems.

Intestinal cramping as well as spasms are usually caused by lack of magnesium in your diet. Also, you may need calcium along w/ vitamin D3 for absorption. Also-- hiatal hernia pain is helped with these supplements.

Females will needs these supplements eventually to prevent osteoporsis-- anyway. So, I think you need to start now or get it checked out.

God Bless--- Harry

Last edited by Harry; 06-14-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Closed Thread