It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
(female)

alaska_free HB User
Colonoscopy prep-3 step process

Hi

I will be having a colonoscopy in a month. I have been having problems with rectal bleeding, weightloss, and nausea after BM's. I went to a colon rectal surgeon that I saw 7 years ago who treated the hemorrhoids again last week. He strongly suggested that I get a colonoscopy done. My last one was done 7 years ago. I was told last year that I needed to do one when I turn 35 because my mom had a precancerous polyp removed when she was 45.

It looks like my dr threw a kink into my plan and I will be doing it next month. To be honest, my colon-rectal surgeon scared me when he told me that he has diagnosed colon cancer in people my age.

Anyways, the prep that he is giving me is 3 steps. I am doing a combination of 4 dulcolax tablets, then a bottle of Magnesium citrate, and later I take mirlax. He said that it will start early and hopefully be done early. How much cramping will I experience with this prep? The thought of taking this much stuff is nerve racking. I am very regular and never had problems with constipation.

When I did the colonoscopy 7 years ago, I didn't not remember it. I had a spinal procedure done under sedation last year and was crying and screaming off and on. I made it clear to the dr that I am concern about the sedation and he told me that if I wake up, he will stop and give me more medication. I am scared that I will be aware of it. I don't want to be in pain or even care about it. Will this be possible?

How bad will the cramping be. Any way to reduce it.

Thanks
Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy prep-3 step process

I really can't help you but just a note to say I've got to go thru the same thing & I'm terrified. I'm allergic to mag citrate & mag sulphate & have hypoglycemia. I think they said I would be getting Halflytely which also has 4 Dulcolax at the beginning. Good luck & keep us posted.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

alaska_free HB User

Hi

I am terrified too. I talked to the receptionist that schedules the colonoscopy. I explained my concerns about taking Dulcolax. I think I took it 7 years ago and had some major stomach cramps. I am so regular and sometimes deal with loose stools during a particular time of the month. Since that time falls during my prep time, the receptionist told me that if I go on a very light diet the day before the prep and liquid diet on the day of the prep. Then I can skip the dulcolax. I can easily go on two days of liquid diet. I do it all the time with grad school. So, it looks like the prep is mag citrate and miralax (glcolax).

The receptionist told me that one of the dr's did a colonscopy recently and was complaining about the cramps he got from the Dulcolax. Other patients have complained. Makes me wonder why they give us this stuff. I think these preps are overkill. I took the fleet stuff last time and was cleaned out on the first round.

I am not looking forward to it. I just want it done and over with. Then I won't have to deal with it again until I reach 38.

alaska

Old 11-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

Alaska, I'm not sure but I think the Miralax & Dulcolax both have the propylene glycol in it. I bet there's not much difference in them. The propylene glycol in what my allergist said to avoid because it is the same as anti freeze. The more research I do on this the more I dread the colonoscopy.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
(male)

anders15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi2 View Post
Alaska, I'm not sure but I think the Miralax & Dulcolax both have the propylene glycol in it. I bet there's not much difference in them. The propylene glycol in what my allergist said to avoid because it is the same as anti freeze. The more research I do on this the more I dread the colonoscopy.

I just had a colonoscopy monday of this week and i suffer from bad anxiety and Vasovagal Syncope which makes me faint and they are from stomach cramps. I had to stay overnight the night before and be admitted and I was very worried because I'm only 17. It was really a breeze, I had minor cramping which they provided me with regland to reduce it but i didn't need it. I had a worst case scenerio type thing going into this and I came out fine. It's really a breeze the worst part is the taste of the stuff and how much you have to drink, the frequent bowel movements are all that bad. You will be fine, keep us updated.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
(female)

sickiemcgee HB User

Hi there!
No need to worry about the process, I had a colonoscopy 2 months ago with the same prep. I also have problems with stomach cramps and the cramps were really not bad! For me it was not as much cramping as it was the need to get to the toilet quickly. So in my personal experience it wasn't bad at all. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Closed Thread