It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #76
(female)

ILoveFrogs HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy hope

Beachgal, it will probably be about a day or so before you want to sit and type on the keyboard. Well, you can stand and type, that is what I am doing right now. Have been trying to sit and type now for an hour, but keep having to run to the bathroom, so now I am too sore to sit, so I am typing standing up. Talented, huh?! Definitely agree with TG on the clean your bowel out before surgery deal.

Had pretty good day today, had surprise visitor this morning, my guy took a vacation day and we spent the day together. I had a couple of appointments in town, so I was gone quite a bit of the day. I felt pretty good til later this afternoon, felt real shakey and now tonight hurting because I have been in and out of bathroom and it is time for a pain pill and a hot bath. I would have to say today was my best day so far, day 8 for me. Think I better take some miralax tonight and some metamucil, stool a little too hard for comfort tonight, but that is because I didn't eat enough vegetables yesterday and today.

I have been eating two meals a day now, and I have been taking vitamins and metamucil and colace. Appetite picking back up now. I did have a little bit mexican food for lunch, first time to eat out since surgery, but I didn't get my favorite chili verde and I laid off the fabulous hot sauce with fire roasted chilis and stuck with the mild instead.

I also tried to make amends for the little shopping addiction I picked up last week and returned the HSN and QVC face and makeup stuff I ordered that came in yesterday and today. But I refuse to return the MAC eyeshadows I ordered from ****, they are fabulous and I made my eyes up all pretty like a peacock, three different colors and paraded around the house, and looked at my face. instead of my butt for a change and decided I was looking pretty decent with my bright eyes and new sparkley lips.

Yeah, TG, decided the witch hazel kind of burns like fire after a while, so laid off that stuff. Switched to the baby wipes. Is that list in this thread, I will have to look. Beachgal, you should do fine, just have someone to check in on you, that first day or so at least and make sure you get your pain pills filled right away. I didn't have any nausea, but they gave me something in my I.V. line for that during the surgery.

TG, your friend lives up my way, I am north of T-Town, actually raised in Queens, NY. Beachgal and RR, my guy is from Philly, PA and S. Jersey originally, not too far from you girls. Funny we meet in Oklahoma.

Hope you all had a good day today. I am hitting the sack early tonight. I hope.

Nope, no early bedtime for me. Have a couple of questions..

RoadRunner... how long before you didn't have to wear pads anymore? I am sick of wearing these big old things. Think I am going to air out tonight and just put a towel under me.

Beachgal... I too have enjoyed being on my own, proudly independent and quite stubborn and my tendency is too always try to do too much. I have to say, it has been really nice to meet someone who gives me my space when I need it, but also is there to help me. He is stubborn too and quite a negotiator (actually was former union negotiator), he is good at letting me know when he thinks I am taking on too much. Took a darn, long time to find him too. It can really be a trial on a significant other when a partner is sick and some take it better than others, sometimes it is hard for guys to know what to do when their girl is sick or hurting. It can make you stronger as a couple, but we all have different ways of dealing with illness and helping out. So if he wants to do for you, let him, tell him what you need, cause we forget they can't read our minds, and I bet he will come through for you in the way that is best for you. Sometimes like you said, it is hardest to admit we need help and babying once in a while, doesn't mean we aren't still strong, self-sufficient women anymore. So I am telling you in advance, let him know what you need and let him do for you. It will make him feel better too, because men are doers and feel best when they feel they can fix something. I hope your surgery goes well and wish you all the best in recovery.
In my case, my guy will soon have some surgery of his own coming up and I will be there to baby him in return.

Last edited by ILoveFrogs; 11-27-2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: added stuff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 12:37 AM   #77
(male)

TacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB User

Woo Hoo! 2 Weeks Finally. Well, almost. I had surgery on Thursday and since it was so early I'm considering day 1 and this morning (even though it is 2 AM) is day 14. So depending how you look at it, I might be on day 13. Sorry about not posting my list yet, but I'll try again tomorrow.

In either case, I've gone through 2 whole days at work. I've been late to work each day - an hour to 2 hours - due to having to potty in the night and being wide awake afterward. Plus, the morning routine is significantly longer now. I am trying to get back on schedule, but having a few difficulties. I'm used to being up, showered, drressed and out the door in 15 to 20 minutes. It takes over an hour now - I refuse heading to work until after I have a BM. I was on a 5 meal a day sort of diet before surgery, so I had a protein shake on the way out the door & I took 2nd small breakfast with me to work that I ate around 9:30. I've been really tired every morning and having trouble getting out of bed - plus it's pretty cold in here that doesn't help alot. Since I'm not getting any workouts now, I've only been doing the citrucel and the bowl of soupy oatmeal in the mornings to get the BM to occur - and that prep takes about 15 extra minutes. The BM probably adds 10 more minutes. Luckily I am far enough along that I can shower usually without needing the bath. Then it's water until lunch time.

I have eaten very normal for the last 3 days without major issues. I have been very close to diahrrea once and I lowered how many softeners I take. I think I took 3 today plus citrucel in the morning. But I was gassy or something. I was having kind of cramping pains in my intestines - I thought I had either diahrrea or constipation. I didn't have a BM after this morning, nor this evening but I could tell there was stuff in there & grumblings. I went to bed but woke up uncomfortable - kind of bloated feeling - so I took a senokot (or whatever that vegetable laxative is called). I think that was a mistake because within 15 minutes I had a BM. It didn't really hurt too much - it didn't happen as easily as normal either. It took it's on sweet time to start, but when it did happen I swear I didn't push at all but my body still convulsed kind of and it all plopped at once. The last part looked to be about the right consistency but I think it was kind of constipated in the beginning - but I flushed and showered and came in here to share with you all like a good little boy. I'm pretty sure there was no bleeding - however I flushed some gauze - I sorta forgot it was there til it was too late. I admit I'm also concerned what that laxative is going to do in the morning.

Besides that little fear before each BM, I feel like I'm doing great - although I do think another week off work would help with fatigue - but since I'm late into work I'm only really working 6 to 7 hours although I try to work some from home each evening to keep up. I do find it harder to remember to take the softeners and ibuprofen each meal since everything is going well. I think that is part of the problem with getting the consistency I want. But also my body had soup for 6 or 7 days in a row so I'm sure it's normal that my body is trying to readjust. I can tell it's too soon to stop softeners in either case. The gauze has some mucus on it when I go, but usually very little - and I haven't seen blood (that I could confirm was blood) in quite a while. I think I'm safe to go without a pad now although I need the gauze. I still never could get the thin ones to stay flat in my underwear, so I have been sticking with the thicker ones. I think I may try just the gauze tomorrow at work.

I think I'm supposed to see the Dr for a followup on Friday so we'll see what he has to say about everything.

During my surgery, I was at the hospital at 6 AM - by 7 AM I was in surgery (remember I had 2 surgeries with 2 surgeons). By 9 AM I was in recovery. I think around 10:30 they had me getting up to pee. I was leaving by 11:30 - and most of the extra wait time was because the hospital filled the prescription for me and I had to wait about an hour to get the pain pills. You might call your surgeon to get those filled the day before to save time. I don't remember being nauseous after surgery, but I did have trouble with ice chips and water at first after waking up. I can't remember what the problem was, but I had trouble swallowing in the reclined position of the bed I think. I know the nurse kept asking me questions and I wasn't responding to her satisfaction - she wasn't rude, but I remember he telling me that she couldn't read my mind a few times. But simple questions seemed hard at the time. On a scale from 1 to 10, how much do you hurt. Well, I was hurting pretty good at the time, but I low balled it because I wanted to leave plenty of room in case the pain increased alot - but they didn't give me meds because of my answer. Until I really was in quite a bit of pain - it was a really quick increase in pain as things wore off, but it was all the hernia surgery that was hurting.

Well, I'm going to go back to bed and hope I can be at work on time in the morning. You all have a good Wednesday.

The Following User Says Thank You to TacomaGuy For This Useful Post:
Zen3101 (09-25-2012)
Old 11-28-2007, 04:54 AM   #78
(female)

michelle13 HB User

TG, glad to hear you’re getting through your days at work. Thank you for your “time frame” with surgery. I don’t know why I’m concerned about what time I’ll get home. I’m sure it’ll all be a blur.

Hope you all have a great day!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #79
(female)

michelle13 HB User

While in the shower a few minutes ago, I happened to think of MORE questions…

1. How long before you are able to wash your hair – or feel like it?
2. How long before you feel like (or are able to) shave? I would just say legs – but I’m curious about bikini area too.
3. What if you don’t have a recliner – where would be the most comfortable place to sleep?
4. What positions are most comfortable for sleeping? PLEASE don’t say stomach!! I still can’t sleep on my stomach due to implants.
5. Does it hurt when you bend over?
6. Does it hurt when you step up and over when getting in the tub?
7. Would a hand held shower head work the same as a sitz?

OK…I think that’s all I have for now. I’m sure some of these sound strange – but they are things that I wonder about.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #80
(female)

RoadRunner0213 HB User

1. How long before you are able to wash your hair – or feel like it? I washed my hair the next day. You'll probably be in the shower a lot anyway. I found that washing my hair and putting on makeup made a lot of difference. I just didn't style my hair. I would say be careful in the shower, though. I was very woozy the first few days and needed help standing upright in the shower. I found that I got lightheaded if I was bent over and then stood up.

2. How long before you feel like (or are able to) shave? I would just say legs – but I’m curious about bikini area too. I shaved my legs right away. I did it when I was laying down in the tub. As far as the bikini area, I did that right away, too. I just put a rag over my "other area" so I didn't have to look at it and shaved around everything.

3. What if you don’t have a recliner – where would be the most comfortable place to sleep? I slept on the couch the first two nights and in bed the third night. It's just that our bed is high off the ground.

4. What positions are most comfortable for sleeping? PLEASE don’t say stomach!! I still can’t sleep on my stomach due to implants. I found that sleeping on my sides or back was best. Putting a pillow under my knees helped.

5. Does it hurt when you bend over? No

6. Does it hurt when you step up and over when getting in the tub? No. Just be careful getting out, because you may be lightheaded.

7. Would a hand held shower head work the same as a sitz? Yes. Just don't hold it too close to "the area". It hurts if the water touches it with too much force.

OK…I think that’s all I have for now. I’m sure some of these sound strange – but they are things that I wonder about.

Last edited by RoadRunner0213; 11-28-2007 at 10:45 AM.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #81
(female)

michelle13 HB User

Thank you so much RR…you’ve really been a huge help with all of the questions that I’ve had from the beginning.

I agree that sometimes when you’re feeling your worse, clean hair and make-up can make you feel better. I know I also feel better if I’ve just shaved. Good to know that even though I may be feeling like I’m on my death bed…I don’t have to look it! Lol

TG – being 2 weeks out, do you think you could start walking for exercise? I had asked my doctor how long before I could start working out again and he said that I would be good to start walking after 2 weeks, maybe start very light workouts after 3 and then just wait 4-6 for any abs. Just wondering if that time line is crazy or do-able.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #82
(female)

RoadRunner0213 HB User

I'm 3 weeks and 1 day past surgery and I'm definitely not ready to start working out. I'm just sooooo itchy and there's still some pain around the stitches that I can't even think about running, let alone doing weight lifting.

I have a new problem now..... last night I made the mistake of looking at the area. It seems that I have a huge skin tag and there's still A LOT of loose tissue hanging out of me as well as visible stitches. I started crying and am now really upset about this. Part of the reason I went through with this surgery is that I wanted to get rid of all the skin that was hanging out of me. It was a hygeine issue and was embarassing. I don't want to think that I went through this for nothing. There's actually more skin hanging than ever before not to mention this huge bump!!!!! It's not that I have aspirations of posing for Hustler Magazine, but it was very embarassing and I don't want to have a deformed rear end. The best way I can describe it is that there is a bump the size of a pencil eraser between my anus and vagina and so much skin hanging out of me that it looks like a raw clam.

I have a follow up appointment on Dec. 17, so I'm hoping upon all hope that it'll just go away. There's no way that I will just accept this and live with it. I want it GONE! I don't care if I have to go through another procedure to get everything removed.

I feel like crying.....

Old 11-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #83
(female)

michelle13 HB User

RR, have you called your surgeon to see if this is normal? I don’t blame you for being upset but I do think that before you let it really get you down…you should ask your doctor. If you’re about to cry now…you shouldn’t wait until the 17th to see if it goes away!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #84
(female)

RoadRunner0213 HB User

I just got off the phone with the doctor's office. She's not in today, but the medical secretary said that she would ask her and have her call back.

I know the doctor said that I could develop skin tags and that they could be removed at a later date. I just expected them to be able to get rid of all that hanging skin.

I know that if I don't get this taken care of, I'll be very embarassed to have sex. Like I said before, it's not that I want to put my rear end on display for all to see, but I want a "normal" looking rear end for all my troubles. It's actually worse than it's ever been!!!!!

Last edited by RoadRunner0213; 11-28-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #85
(female)

michelle13 HB User

That’s my fear! My hem (only one large external one) has never really given me any problems except for it being “out”. The only reason I’m doing this surgery is to have a normal looking butt (and the fact that my doc said I should have it removed now before it causes me problems). The thought of going through all the pain from this surgery and then having more hanging out than before….I know I would cry!! I’m sorry RR…I know I’m not helping you feel any better. I can imagine what you’re going through right now and I want to cry for you. Please let me know what the doc says!! If this is normal, I would like to know that ahead of time. My doctor never said anything to me about skin tags. I just assumed that once I had this surgery – I’d have a perfect butt.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #86
(male)

TacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB User

Roadrunner,

I think you are referring to the bumps around the incision site - some people are calling them "wings". That is normal. You should not really consider what it looks like til 6 weeks or later. Sometimes you are just seeing where you are swelling and the skin has to tighten up - it won't have a chance to do that til your swelling stops. Take your ibuprofen regularly if you are still swelling. Sometimes the surgeon will have to remove the extra skin afterward because they don't risk removing too much which could cause fissures with BMs. I've read that the 2nd surgery to remove excess skin will be done only after swelling stops and it is in office and very painless and a very quick recovery - I wouldn't worry about that at all. I've seen that in multiple threads - don't fear that surgery - everyone has posted it was really easy.

Michelle,
Remember that I had a hernia surgery on my stomach at the same time. I slept in my bed the first night, but I could only sleep on my side. It wasn't bad...you just swell down below and get uncomfortable and have to get in the warm bath to calm things down every 4 - 6 hours for a few days.

I don't think you'll be comfortable at all in a regular chair for a few days (4 or 5) after surgery - and it'll have to be a very padded seat. But you spend hours in a bath those days too and hours sleeping. I have a recliner and I didn't spend much time in it til day 3 or so. I would just invest in quite a few pillows and use the bed as your resting spot - you just may not be able to share it with someone else because I've read someone else moving the bed will cause you discomfort as well.

I walked the length of the house quite a few times the first 3 or 4 days. I recovered pretty quickly - I think I could walk half a block by day 4 or 5. Now I can probably walk 2 without too much discomfort, but I'll know I did it if I don't take ibuprofen for swelling. Remember that on day 10 or 11, I was out 2 stepping and doing the electric slide. However I was REALLY worn out the next day, and it did cause swelling - but nothing unbearable by any means. I can't do any heavy lifting due to the hernia for 6 to 8 weeks. I don't think I asked the hem surgeon about it, but I haven't done my followup yet. But I've read that at least 8 weeks and not to do anything like squats for maybe half a year.

BTW, I still haven't shaved my legs yet but I showered pretty much every day after being in the tub after a BM because I felt "dirty" til I showered - I only used Epsom Salts in my bath water. I didn't soap back there though and I never used a wand shower head back there.

Last edited by TacomaGuy; 11-28-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Cause I can't spell....

Old 11-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #87
(female)

RoadRunner0213 HB User

Thanks Tacoma Guy. I really hope that's what's going on. Hopefully, by the time I have to go back to the doc's office, I'm all healed up to my satisfaction.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #88
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hi, all. Oh, RoadRunner ... I feel so bad for you. I agree with Michelle ... I would be freaking out, too. But then there is TacomaGuy - who has read these threads as voraciously as I did! I've seen on MANY of these threads that you absolutely cannot judge what the final outcome is until about the six week mark. And I'm sure TG read those posts where too much skin is removed in the initial surgery, leaving horrible problems (fissures, especially!), so DON'T panic! They do say that 'skin tags' can easily be removed in the doctor's office ...

But your concerns fit right in with what my surgeon told me yesterday. I had my consultation yesterday, and was completely open and honest with my surgeon about my hopes for the surgery. Along with being rid of these ugly and painful things, I want a cute ********. You should've seen the look on his face! He was great - but he told me that I concern him in that I may have my hopes set too high about the end result. He said that he would do his best removing the loose skin since it IS a hygiene issue, but there still would be some. He said that he cannot recreate a perfect ********.

That probably doesn't help right now, and it sent me into quite a funk since I definitely hoped that along with removing the hems, it would be cosmetic surgery to give me a cute ********. Alas, I've decided that the perfect ******** for me is one without hemorrhoids ... whatever loose skin is there will hopefully be minimized in surgery and I hope I can be ok with that.

RR - know that we are here to listen and try to help. Sorry there isn't more I can do ...

Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #89
(female)

michelle13 HB User

Glad you posted this BG! I really thought that I would have the perfect ******** after surgery. I do agree with you you though..."the perfect ******** for me is one without hemorrhoids"....I can deal with extra skin much better then the hem...esp if I know ahead of time that it may be that way!

Last edited by michelle13; 11-28-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #90
(female)

beenthere07 HB User

Hi everyone, my husband is at 12 weeks after surgery. I want to give you some hope because there is light at the end of the tunnel! The first few days were hell. He had a spinal and because he wasn't getting the feeling back in his legs and it was getting late he spent the first night in the hospital. We are both so grateful for that!

He had a lot of pain for about the first 4 days then he started easing off the meds. He was back to work on day 21 and he says that was too soon. By week 4 he started slow runs, just a couple of miles on weekends. Week 9 we spent in Paris, walking around and eating like mad. Today was his first day in the gym with his trainer and it went well. He worked out at home some before, but because of time and work he hadn't been able to hit the gym.

Things are pretty good. He sometimes has a painful bm and he has spasms now and then, although not as bad as the first week. He is not "normal" yet. The surgeon told us it could take a "while" for it all to completely heal.

Roadrunner, for the first time in a while he's talking about running marathons again. Long runs were out of the question pre-surgery since the hemorrhoids ruled his life.

One more thing, if you live alone this is a tough thing to go through. Get all your prescriptions filled ahead of time, have plenty of clean underwear and sheets. One of those pads that you use in cribs can be a lifesaver. BTW, my husband prefered sleeping on the sofa the first 3 nights.
Also the first couple of days, set your alarm for your pain meds. Don't let the pain get ahead of you.
Good luck.

Closed Thread