It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

RoadRunner0213 HB User
Hemorrhoidectomy hope

Hi everyone-

I've been a lurker here since July when I found out I would need a hemorrhoidectomy for severe internal and external prolapsed hems.

I had my surgery last Tuesday and was terrified after reading some of the posts. Surprisingly, it has not been as bad as I thought. Don't get me wrong, it's been far from a pleasure cruise, but it gets easier.

Day one was tough. I woke up from surgery and felt like I'd been napalmed. The nurse gave me a shot of morphine to put the fire out. They also gave me a prescription of Percoset to take the edge off the pain. I was not expecting to feel so nauseous and dizzy. The nurse who wheeled me out of the hospital must've once dreamed of qualifying at Talladega the way she pushed my wheelchair. (at least that's what it felt like). Suffice it to say, I didn't make it very far before I needed an emisis basin. Needless to say, puking didn't make the incision site feel good AT ALL! The pain was rough, but the dizzies were worse. I almost passed out going down the stairs. Luckily, my BF was there helping me down the stairs. All I could eat was two or three bites of lime jello.

Day two's big accomplishment was putting makeup on. I was winded after that. The pain was still pretty intense, but not mind-shattering and I was able to eat some soup and crackers. More Percoset...

Day three, I actually ventured outside with my BF to check the mail. Those mailboxes never seemed so far away. I was winded after my little down and back trek. Thankfully, it was not so much pain as just dizzy. I am now eating more solid foods.

I finally made a BM on day 4. It felt like battery acid, broken beer bottles and barnacles were coming out. Not very fun at all. I think the colace and fish oil tablets I'm taking are helping. I couldn't imagine passing solid stool, yet. Unfortunately, it brings up a problem with wiping. It's just not possible yet. Short of going out to the car wash to get hosed off, I use my sitz bath as a bidet of sorts, followed by a shower and/or bath. I can't wait to see the water bill this month.

Every day the pain seems to lessen a little. My BF went back to work today after staying home all last week with me. I am now able to take a shower by myself and I actually did my hair today. Before yesterday, I just got too lightheaded standing up that long. I still look at BMs with some dread. The pain afterwards feels almost like labor. There's a lot of pressure mixed with the pain, but even that is dissipating with every day that passes. I was in labor 59 hours with my first and didn't ask for an epidural until after 52 hours. For me, the hemorrhoidectomy was worse.

I was expecting pain that I would not be able to stand. Luckily, that hasn't happened. I've tried Lamaze type breathing when I make a BM, but it didn't help when I was in labor and it doesn't help now. I am able to get in and out of a chair easier now, and I've noticed that even while my rear end is still sore, I can sit on a toilet without prolapsing anything. Before, any time I sat on the toilet for ANY amount of time, squatted to pick something up, etc., my rear end "fell out" as I so fondly referred to my condition. My BF asked me if, knowing what I know now, would I do it again. Yes I would. Today is a full week since my surgery and while I'm not ready to go out and run a marathon, I think I'll be back to work in another week-10 days.

I don't know how I could've done this without my BF. He's been great. He never lets me feel sorry for myself and always keeps my spirits up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
(female)

michelle13 HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy hope

Iím so glad that you started this post. Iíve been reading the old ones every since I scheduled surgery (Dec 6th). Iíve been a nervous wreck thinking about it. My doctor has told me that the first 2 weeks will be the worst of my life (worse than labor). Iím preparedÖI think. He has also told me that I should be good to travel for New Years. Thatís 3 weeks after surgeryÖ.flying from AL to RI with one layover.

I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answerÖ

Does it help with recovery if you start on a high fiber diet before surgery?

Does it help if you are active & work out regular before? I ask this because I saw in another post where the female was a trainerÖand worked out herself. She seemed to get through everything pretty wellÖ.compared to others.

Would love to hear more about what people ate during recoveryÖand if it seemed to help.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
(female)

blueskys HB User

Hi michelle13 ,

I had the same surgery you are going to have about 7 years ago. I remember the pain was very intense the first week. It does get better each day. I have no regrets about having the surgery, and If I had to do all over again. I would have actually had the surgery sooner. For me, I was having pain all the time after a bm. Sometimes worse than others. And it was a constant thing for years. Yes, you do have pain the first few weeks after surgery, but it gets less and less and eventually completely goes away. Which makes it all worth while. Some advice tho, after your surgery, get on a well balanced fiber diet. I wish I would have done that. I am now on a balance fiber diet, I take Benefiber everyday along with a better diet of foods.

In answer to your questions:
Does it help with recovery if you start on a high fiber diet before surgery?

Answer: It may help you pass your bowels easier, but I know that constipation and diarahea can agitate hemroids. So you have to find a balance. If you can find the right balance of fiber for you, I believe that it would help you before and after recovery.

Does it help if you are active & work out regular before? I ask this because I saw in another post where the female was a trainer…and worked out herself. She seemed to get through everything pretty well….compared to others.

Answer: Everyone is different, overall they say if you are more active and fit that you recover easier. I am an active person, but I don't work out, and I recovered fairly quickly from the surgery with no problems.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. The best of luck to you.

blueskys

Last edited by blueskys; 11-13-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
(female)

michelle13 HB User

Thank you BLUESKYS!!!

After reading some of the posts on this site Iím not as nervous as I wasÖbut I still have 3 weeks before I go in. Iím sure closer to time Iíll be on edge again.

Iím trying to do everything I can now to prepare. I quit smoking 9 days ago, Iím in the gym doing cardio 5 days a week for an hour and weights 2 days a week. Iíve changed my diet so that Iím eating more fiber and only drinking my one cup of coffee in the AM and then water the rest of the day.

If anyone has any other suggestions, Iím all ears!!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
(female)

michelle13 HB User

ROADRUNNER -

I hope you will continue to post your progress. I know itís only been a couple of days since you wrote lastÖbut from what Iíve read in other threadsÖ.a lot can change in a few days.

Please keep us updated!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
(female)

RoadRunner0213 HB User

Well, today is 9 days since I had surgery. Things are still going well. My life is still revolving around my morning constitution, but at least today, it wasn't as bad. I took an Aleve beforehand as per Dr's orders to releive swelling and it has helped a bunch. Yesterday, I needed a good two hours to recover from the BM. Before the Aleve, after a BM, it felt like "laborlike" pressure.

As for the physical excersize beforehand, I'm 34 years old and have been an avid runner for over 20 years. I had been planning on running the NYC Marathon on Nov 4 until thrombosed hems and a lancing put a stop to that. It seemed that if I went any higher than 5 miles, I had an "episode". I was up to about 2-3 hem episodes a week before the surgery.

I actually ventured outside last night to go grocery shopping with my BF. I thought I was ready. WRONG! The pain was pretty good, but not horrific. I could just feel where the stitches were and if my legs/butt brushed against them from walking, let's just say it wasn't pleasant. Plus, I think I was still under a slight Percoset fog because I was very lightheaded and needed to hold onto the cart. My BF poked fun of me and asked me if I needed one of the "Jazzy carts" in the front of the store. I don't know what I would do without him.

I've scrapped going back to work next week. Now I'm shooting for after Thanksgiving. I really hope to be back soon. There's only so much TV I can watch. One would think that with 300 some channels, I'd be able to entertain myself. I'm chewing the walls.....

Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
(female)

rhales199 HB User

I'm kinda glad I came across this thread. I have been having some pretty bad hem pain, and those suppository things just don't seem to be working for me, so I might be having to do the surgery thing sometime soon.
I appologize if this might seem a dumb question, but is the surgery done as an out- patient proceedure?
And I look forward to hearing what happens with each of you. Will give me an idea of what to expect.
I've never had sirgery before, but can kinda sorta relate to some of the things you all mentioned because my husband just had neck surgery the end of August. He was in the hosp for two days. the evening after his surgery he could only stomach ice. He tried to eat blue jello but threw it up 20 mins later. Only a few weeks ago was he able to start taking a shower again (but part of that's because he has a disability- if that makes sense). During the first few weeks, I stayed home a lot to help-- three things that helped me from getting cabin fever (which takes a while for me to get... but I was starting to!)... and these may be ideas for you all as well... puzzle books.... puzzles.... books or books on tape/ CD.

For what it's worth, my dad had hem surgery at my same age (31ish) back in the 70's and had no long term problems afterwards.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:40 AM   #8
(female)

michelle13 HB User

To be honest with youÖmy hem (one very large one) hasnít really given me much trouble except itís ďout thereĒ. Every now and then there is a little blood with a BMÖbut not really any pain like most experience. Iíve been putting off the surgery all year worried that it would affect my social life and traveling. I finely decided to schedule the surgery and just deal with the recovery.

My surgery is out-patient. I guess they only keep you if there are problems. Thatís fine with me. Iím sure itís gonna be hard enough to sleep with out all of the extra noise from a hospital.

I do have one more question for anyone who has had the surgeryÖ.how soon before you can go up and down stairs? Reason Iím asking, my computer is upstairs at home. Iím really wanting to post each day of my recovery. Iíve found that reading others posts has helped put me at ease about the surgeryÖIíd like to help as well <<hoping mine will be as smooth>>.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
(female)

RoadRunner0213 HB User

It was an out-patient surgery. The surgery itself took just over an hour. I checked into the hospital at 6:20 am and was at home by 1:00 pm. I didn't actually get into surgery until about 9:00.

As for the stairs, I was able to walk up them when I got home. I definitely needed help, though. I was still very dizzy and light-headed. It took about a week to get along without any help.

I had internal and some prolapsed external hems. The external ones were always "out", too and I couldn't push them back in because they kept falling out (gross, I know). It was a leftover gift from my second pregnancy. For the last 4 years, it really didn't bother me too much. When I started training for the NYC Marathon is when I started getting problems. I couldn't sit on the toilet for even a few seconds without major fallout. I love to fish, but I couldn't squat for the same reason. I even had "fallouts" after sex. It was even getting to the point that it was a hygiene issue. Because I was always "out", it was hard to keep the area clean.

I went to the surgeon in July and when the nurse practitioner took a look at me, she thought I had a prolapsed rectum, they were that severe. Even then, I tried to put the surgery off until after the marathon. In Sept, though, my rear end had other plans. I had a nice bout with thrombosed hems and they won. So, I figured while I was young and in shape, I'd do it now rather than later.

Today, I am actually thinking about getting out of sweatpants. Progress...... WOO HOO!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
(female)

michelle13 HB User

ROADRUNNER Ė Iím curious to know how you are after 3 weeks. We are traveling to Boston for New Years and will be leaving 3 weeks and 1 day after my surgery. I wondering if itís crazy to think Iíll be up for itÖbut my doctor seems to think I will.

Also wondering if they put a Transdermscope patch on you before surgery. I had a breast reduction about 4 months ago and that was the first time that I had been given a patch before surgery. It really did help with the nausea afterwards. Iím sure not all doctors use themÖbut Iím going to ask for one.

I only have one LARGE external ďbutt goblinĒ (I donít like the word hemorrhoid). I think the whole hygiene thing bothers me more than anything. It canít be pushed in..itís ALWAYS out.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
(male)

TacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB User

I had my surgery yesterday morning at 7 am to remove a pretty decent size hemorrhoid that was on the edge of my opening - kind of partly an inner and outer but it hung out all the time. My doctor said that having it cut out was my only option. I started researching this a bit late, but after reading people's experiences I did some "cram" type research. Please take into account that I've had a umbilical hernia surgery at the same time - which I would have done separately if I knew how much more difficult it is making getting around. But honestly right after surgery the hernia was more painful to me.

I am 36 and I'm in fairly decent health. I work out some and I have about 20% body fat. I think that helps alot. Getting up and down would be really difficult if I were more out of shape.

If I could do this over again, I would probably change my diet as soon as possibe to match what you plan on eating after surgery. The reason is that it is important to know what your body needs to get a soft stool that still has bulk in it. I did start using Metamucil a couple of weeks ago, but I wish I had experimented with other softeners and mineral spirits with my diet. Having to experiment after the surgery is more stressful since this is a VERY important part of recovery. Be aware that your pain pills will cause constipation and if you allow that to happen, it will affect your recovery experience quite drastically.

I did really well the first day. Today the mineral spirits made me puke some, but nothing too bad. I've been trying to stay on schedule with my meds. I did sleep a bit too long until I was hurting a bit.

I had my first BM about an hour ago & I'm still hurting pretty good from it. I'm hoping that passes pretty soon. The BM wasn't what I expected. I had quite a few false calls before where it was just gas & that time it started a little and BAM it all happened in one convulsion. I wasn't pushing at all, but my body still pushed all of it. It was about 18" long I think...I don't think that was normal but it really hurt. I don't really know how to explain the pain now, but it's a constant throbbing but I don't think I'm bleeding badly.

I hope that's the worse one... I'm really concerned about the next one.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #12
(female)

michelle13 HB User

I started eating high fiber for 2 reasons…to prepare for the surgery – hoping that I’ll get used to it and it won’t make me so gassy once I have the surgery. Also, because I have trouble with BM’s. I’ll go days with out having one. I was taking a supplement called Colon Cleanse but my doc told me that I should get off it. He said that it’ll cause me more problems down the road. He has me taking Merilax (I think that’s how you spell it) once a day. I seem to be a little more regular and don’t have to stay close to a bathroom now.

I’m worried about the pain pills. My doctor talked like I wouldn’t be getting any due to them making me constipated. I have a pretty high pain tolerance...have birthed 2 kids (one naturally – all 9 &#189; lbs, 22 &#190; inches of him). Do you think it’s possible to go through recovery of this with out them? I want to do whatever it takes to recover as fast as I can.

TACOMAGUY – I wish you the best of luck with your recovery. Please continue to post and let us know how you’re doing.

Last edited by michelle13; 11-17-2007 at 07:05 AM. Reason: mispelled colon

Old 11-17-2007, 09:20 AM   #13
(male)

TacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB User

I will try to let you know how this has gone for me so far, but you'll have to decide if we are starting from the same place before surgery. I went into surgery in a pretty healthy state. I didn't have issues getting in and out of the floor and I worked out at the gym about twice a week - but I was far from being all buff. But I was in decent shape.

The only thing my doctor told me to do before surgery is to stop eating and drinking before midnight. From previous posts I knew that it'd be a while before I could do anything very meaty later, so I had a super nachos from taco bueno the night before surgery - I think that was a big mistake. However I had already started using citricel once in the morning to get my body used to it & I ate 2 prunes before bed. I ate my meal around 8:30 to 9 pm so I don't think it had time to get completely out of my system. I did 2 enemas the next morning around 4:30 am & was at the hospital by 6. I had surgery at 7 am. I felt gassy that morning, probably partially what I ate the night before plus I think anxiety does that.

If I had it to do over again, I would have only had soups, jellos, puddings, and such for a few days with my stool softeners. After surgery, I had no idea how much to take of what but I could tell I felt gassy still.

The hospital gave me graham crackers to take with my pills. Again, my bumm was not hurting at that point, only my umbillical hernia repair. I don't know what pain pills she gave me, but they did make me feel better in about 20 minutes. I had no problems with urination, I just have no pressure when I pee because I can't push with my stomach. I think the whole thing would be easier if I didn't have both surgeries at once.

From what I've read, people that don't eat have more trouble than those who do so I did eat the day I came home. I stayed on schedule for my pain meds & honestly my bum never bothered me at all at that point. I was taking the pills mainly because my stomach hurt.

That day I ate a couple of sheets of graham crackers, half cup of raisin bran, a cup of chicken soup (cambells select), a small container of vanilla pudding, and a cup of jello. I mixed a tablespoon of mineral oil in my soup and it didnt digest right and I couldnt keep it down, but it was apparently on the top of my stomach cause it was a very light experience. I also had a bran bar with fruit in the middle - similar to a newton. I might also mention that I am chewing the hell out of anything I eat right now. I try to completely pulverize it before I swallow it because I know it has to leave my body at some point...especially the bran cause that stuff feels like it'd be rough on the other end. I was able to walk around the house, etc. I just couldn't reach too low because my stomach would hurt. I spent a good 90 minutes in a sitz bath with epsom salts. It helped me pass gass & it was pretty uneventful. I only did warm water because I've read that hot water, although more relaxing for pain, will make you more apt to bleed.

Yesterday, I sort of overslept and didnt take pain pills on time. I could fell my butt at that point, but it wasn't unbearable pain but it didn't take me long to pop my pills. I'm a guy so I don't know what child birth is like. That pain I could have dealt with, but I don't have anyone here taking care of me and it was enough that it might had immobilized me so I couldn't take care of myself easily. If you have someone there to bring you food and help you to the toilet, I think you could deal with that pain - but pain pills do help.

I ate a bowl of oatmeal with extra water to keep it soupy. I had my citrucel and I had 2 collace (stool softeners) because I felt like I was getting backed up. I had another cup of soup later during the day. And I did a couple of the baths. I was passing gass, but that's about it. I ended up taking a sennekot (vegetable laxative) around 2 or 3 pm since my stomach was pooching pretty good and I was worried I was getting backed up. Around 4 pm I started feeling pressure, but I couldn't tell if it was gas or a BM. I sat on the toilet for a bit, but you aren't supposed to push and nothing happened. I was kind of uncomfortable so I climbed in the tub again. I was kind of off on my pain pill schedule but getting in and out of the tub is a chore so I sat there reading a book. I started passing gas and passing gas & then I could tell more than gas was about to occur, but it didnt take long before it started hurting and I couldn't get out of the tub. I have no stomach strength right now so I have to roll ove to get up and my body was shaking too badly to do that...I can't say I tried too hard because I was scared about what was about to happen. I tried to relax the best I could - and I didn't push at all and I tried to relax all my muscles but my body had one big convulsion. It was really quick but it did hurt. And what came out was probably 18" long and that's no exageration. But again it was really quick, which actually was probably not a good thing but i didn't push but my body kicked it out there anyway. That pain wasn't so bad because of how quick it happened - had it been slow I would have a different opinion of bearable, but the next part was painful. I think it is what people have described as labor pains but again I'm a guy so I don't have a reference. But I could not move for probably 10 minutes because my butt was throbbing. It was bearable I guess, well I guess you have no choice but to bear through it. But I don't know if I could have gone 2 days like that. I think it was in spasm, but all I know is that it took 10 minutes before I could move and although it let up a bit, it hurt for a good 2 hours afterward. Getting up hurt, walking hurt, everything hurt down there. Cleaning up was a chore and I finally got in bed - and it hurt still but finally I fell asleep for a bit. I woke up hurting, took another pain pill and laid back down. When I woke up around midnight, although sore, most of the throbbing pain was gone. Walking has not been near as easy since. I had another BM then, but it didnt really hurt and it was lots softer than the first.

If I were you, I'd make my Dr prescribe them so you have them if you need them. Just because you have them doesn't mean you have to take them. My first BM was fairly constipated, but I think that's because it was in my upper digestive tract still when I was in surgery.

Thanks for the support... I'll let you know how the rest of today goes.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
(female)

RoadRunner0213 HB User

I didn't change my diet beforehand. In fact, my BF and I went out to dinner the night before and I didn't hold back.

As for the pain pills, I couldn't do without them. I didn't get constipated at all because I was taking colace, fish oil and miralax. I couldn't even venture a guess as to what would make me constipated after that.

What I did find was that the BMs did come up more suddenly. Almost to the point that I could've had an accident. They were definitely more "explosive" than ever before (although definitely softer). Part of that might have been that I was dreading them and waited until the last possible moment before "detonation".

At this point, day 11, I am eating pretty much whatever I want without much difficulty. I haven't taken a Percoset in 3 days. At this point, the pain is pretty minor and is being handled by Aleve. The main thing now is that I'm losing my stitches. My BF had a good laugh this morning b/c I was rolling around on the floor, fanning my rear end trying to stop the itch. I couldn't scratch it b/c it is still a bit raw and I don't want to rip out the stitches.

I got outside today for about 3 hours and actually did a little shopping and got a chicken parm sub.

So far, so good.

Last edited by RoadRunner0213; 11-17-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #15
(female)

michelle13 HB User

My pre-surgery instructions are to drink a 10 oz. bottle of Citrate of Magnesia at 4:00pm the day before surgeryÖclear liquid diet after that and nothing after midnight. The morning of surgery I have to use a fleet enema before I go to the hospital. I have to be there at 9am. Guess they want to make sure Iím good and cleaned out before I get there.

Closed Thread