It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Question Post-Resection Swelling & Pain

Hello, I had a bowel resection on Nov. 5th. I was sent home on the following Friday. I was just wondering for those who have had the surgery...how long am I going to look like I'm smuggling a grapefruit under my shirt? And when does the pain go away? I am very swollen on the left side (the side that was operated on) and although the pain is less, it is still there enough to hinder me. I can't fit into anything but sweat pants and pajamas, which makes going anywhere about impossible. I am probably being way too impatient, but I would like to know about how long to expect to look 4 months pregnant! BTW, I had the open surgery, not the laser, which I'm sure is a factor in the swelling. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Re: Post-Resection Swelling & Pain

Redneon.....

Yep...patience is the name of the game at this point. Altho I had my re-section done with a laparoscope, I was really swollen, too. I haven't had a flat tummy in years and was so bloated for so long, it didn't bother me much. I think it took 2-3 weeks for me to zip up my jeans....if not longer!

I had open belly surgery back in the 70's and remember it taking forever for me to be able to wear my jeans. So much soft tissue damage and trauma.....and just thinking about what they did in there to our colon...no wonder we swell!

Give it a couple more weeks. It's waaaayyyyy too early. Your pain will ease with each passing day, too.

Good luck,
Linda
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
(female)

Marmex HB User

Hi Redneon-

I had the open resection surgery in 2005. I had the swelling as well- definitely on the`left side where the removal of the sigmoid colon took place. It took quite a while for it to subside- in fact- I still have some signs of it that never went away. Pain wise it takes a while to go away as well- like Linda said a little at a time. I have IBS so many may not relate to my response and symptoms. In the first few weeks I had diarrhea a lot- accompanied by pain. I worried about every pain but was fortunate to get help from this site and assurance that all was really going along normally. It sure did help me to hear that others had the same concerns and how they handled their day to day recovery. Nothing like hearing from someone who has been there. The resecties who respond on this site are knowledgeable, caring and priceless.

Hope you continue to do well- sounds like your recovery is going along as it should. You are in the early days tho and everything is so new to you- just keep writing and someone will respond with their experiences that will be helpful to you. Take it easy and try to relax- Stackie

Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Post-Resection Swelling & Pain

Thanks so much for the replies. I know I am being way too impatient. I feel pretty good in general and the best thing, it's not like recovering from a bout of diverticulitis, when you are both in pain and sick (not to mention on those horrible antibiotics). I have IBS too, and I am very fortunate that my bowel movements have been normal. I do have some pretty strong pain after I pee and have a bowel movement but it subsides pretty quick, and I have been able to eat what I want within reason. No prime rib or spicy Mexican yet! I'm just impatient with not being abe to get around easily or wear anything but pajamas and sweats! My b/f has not seen me yet and wants to visit, but I will definitely hide my incision from him until the staples are out and it is healing.

Thanks again and I will stay on here for a few weeks so I can both get good information and possibly help others who will be going thru this.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
(male)

Driver37 HB User

Hello, sorry I can't help you about the swelling. It will be two weeks tomorrow since my laparoscopic resection and I've been released by the surgeon to go back to work. I have absolutely no pain and no swelling. My big problem is BM's. They're still loose, diarrhea, and urgent at times. I do have Crohn's but I was hoping that by removing the diseased part of the intestine I could get a break from the symptoms for awhile.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
(female)

Clover100 HB User
Smile Re: Post-Resection Swelling & Pain

[/B]Hi Redneon----glad your surgery is over and you are doing well. I'm sure there is much more trama to an open surgery than to a laproscopic one. It was three weeks ago today that I had my surgery and I can't believe how well I've gotten along. I even did a 2-mile walk in the local fieldhouse yesterday morning. I had an appt. with my surgeon on Monday and his nurse said I should be a "poster child" for the surgery. She said "you don't even look like you've had surgery". I have a puffy "pooch" right at the top of my navel where the surgeon made a 2 inch incision. Other than that, I just have three little scars from the holes they poked in. Granted, my jeans are tight---but I think most of that is because I ate like a condemned woman the week before surgery thinking I'd lose at least 10% of my body weight. Ha, that didn't happen. I don't think I even lost a pound. When I was at the surgeon's office, he said I could eat anything---but I haven't been brave enough to try popcorn yet, although I did buy some. I have eaten walnuts and Mexican food with no adverse effects. The first week I had loose stools, but things have really returned to normal now. Other than the two painful days in the hospital after they removed the epidural pain block, I have felt really good. I didn't even fill the prescription the doctor sent home for pain. I have to go back to the surgeon in Feb. for a final check. He wants me to do a Fleet two hours before my appt. and he said he would do a check to see that everything is holding together correctly. That doesn't sound like fun---as I'm imagining he will put some instrument up "where the sun doesn't shine" to look around. Hang in there Redneon, things will improve as more time goes by. You should be feeling 100% better by Christmas.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Angry Re: Post-Resection Swelling & Pain

2 weeks later & I am still very swollen and had to go back on the Toradol (pain meds) because I could not tolerate the pain. The surgeon does not seem to be concerned but there is one section of my incision that is oozing icky whitish/beige-ish goo, so he did not steri-strip that section, he said to let it drain. How long should this ooze before I get concened? I do feel a lot better and it's great to not feel sick like I have for the past 3 years with the diverticulitis off & on & always having bowel issues. I do have a hemorrhoid that is bleeding somewhat (yet another thing to deal with!) but my appetite is good and bowel is working. I am impatient, I want to be able to go out just shopping & to the bank but I am embarrassed to go out in sweat pants. Oh well...patience is a virtue I guess!

Closed Thread