It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

Goldie_Locks_5 HB User
Sphincteroplasty Patients- C-section for future births?

I have been reading up on the other posts about those of us who had 4th degree tears during childbirth - and have had bowel issues since....

I have some control- and am trying to do exercises to make it better - I found a great website from the UK that explains exactly how to do them... I absolutly can not go through sphincteroplasty anytime soon--- maybe in a few years if the problem persists -- but after the horrible healing from childbirth - and hoping to have another baby in the next 2 years- I simply can't afford the time off of work (i'm on my feet all day so healing from that type of surgery would have me on disability for a long time).

If you had this problem (surgery or not) - did you have a c/s with your next birth? I am planning to ask my OB for an elective c/s with the next birth - I don't think she'll give me a fight... A colorectal surgeon friend of mine already suggested it to me- so I have "back up"

Just wanted to hear if you had one, or not- and how it effected your bowels, or if/when you ever found some relief with exercises or only surgery, etc.

I know a lot of the stories are in the other posts (part I-V) but looking more specifically for births after the inital damage was done.

Thanks!
Gail

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User
Re: Sphincteroplasty Patients- C-section for future births?

Hi Gail,

Unfortunately, I don't think that anyone on the previous thread had children after the surgery. I know we have all talked about it, and most everyone would vote for a c-section. I finished having my children (3) before I had surgery. My Ob/gyn did say that I would have to have a c-section for any future births. My leaking issues definitly got worse with every pregnancy. My 4th degree tear was with my forst daughter, and 2 pregnancies later, I leaked horribly and decided to look into it further. Best of luck.

Kelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
(female)

taquitobunny HB User

I know you posted this a while ago, so I don't know if you're still interested...but for what it's worth...after my 4th degree tear in 2002 it took me a long time to heal! I miscarried a baby in March 2006 and then had a baby in April 2007. It was C-Section!! I could not even fathom a vaginal birth! Although I know some have done it after a 4th degree tear, my Dr. told me that were I to rip to that extent again the damage may be un-repairable. (NOT a risk I was willing to take!)

I had reconstructive surgery in Nov. 2007. Sphincteroplasty and several other repairs. My surgeon has instructed me that I can NEVER have a vaginal birth now. He recommended not even having any more babies, but said that if I decided to that just carrying the baby only posed a small risk of doing damage to my repairs. I'm only 30, and more babies aren't a certainty but are a possibility and I won't hesitate to have one if we feel it is right for our family. Hope that helps.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
(female)

jesscotta HB User

Hi Gail
I had my 2nd child via c-section and am SO GLAD I did. The pain lasted 2 weeks, unlike the 10 or so months after the childbirth tear from my 1st baby. I waited to have a sphincteroplasty until after the c-section healed. I plan to have another baby within the next couple of years, and will DEFINITELY opt for a c-section. Any doctor who would not recommend a c-section when you already have incontinence or sphincter damage issues, is in my opinion, crazy!!!! Good luck! Jessica

Old 02-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
(female)

Goldie_Locks_5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscotta View Post
Hi Gail
I had my 2nd child via c-section and am SO GLAD I did. The pain lasted 2 weeks, unlike the 10 or so months after the childbirth tear from my 1st baby. I waited to have a sphincteroplasty until after the c-section healed. I plan to have another baby within the next couple of years, and will DEFINITELY opt for a c-section. Any doctor who would not recommend a c-section when you already have incontinence or sphincter damage issues, is in my opinion, crazy!!!! Good luck! Jessica
Thanks, Jessica- glad to hear your c/s went much better!! I am 100% planning to have a c/s with our next child (if we are blessed with another- I am 35 and have PCOS)...

i have good weeks and bad weeks with my sphincter muscles- if i remember to do kegals it helps for sure.... the thought of going through the reconstructive surgery makes me shiver --- perhaps one day when my kids are much older and i would be able to take the time off of work- and be able to truly relax while healing... unlike dealing with a baby.

fortunately i don't have urinary incontinence- which many of my friends have who didn't even tear! i'm lucky with that i guess! lol

thanks again- it make me feel good to know that other women in my situation were able to find something to make pregnancy/birth easier... i know a c/s can be hard to heal from, too- but i'll take my chances!!

Closed Thread