It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
(female)

zoelee HB User
New to the forum and bowel disorder after preggo

Hi there, I'm new here. Glad to find this place to share and get help.

Here is my situation. I've been having some mild problem with bm long before the pregnancy - I squat (yes akward) and when stool is dry I have to use fingers to press the area next to my anus to help push the stool out.

When I got pregnant 10 months ago, the situation got worse. Pressing on the side of anus no long helps. I have to press in front of it (below vagina). In the last couple of months of my pregnancy, I started having a couple of small pieces of stool stuck in the rectum, just 1 inch above the anus opening. When I stick my finger in there I could feel it. But no matter how hard I strain, I can't seem to get them out. So I use enema to wash them out. If I don't, they will never come out. The thing is, my stool is not hard, and even when I had a diahrea, there is always a small piece of stool stuck in my rectum in that same spot.

My doc said there could be a detour in my rectum where stool accumulates. And he said it could go away or get worse after the baby comes. Well I just had my baby 2 weeks ago and it's the same. Not worse, but definitely hasn't gone away.

I'm frustrated and horrified. I'm only in my 30s and I depend on daily enema to have a complete evacuation of my bowel! It causes a lot of convenience going to work, shopping, leave alone when I travel!

And I don't even know what this is. IBS? Sluggish colon? When I can't name my condition, it makes it 10 times worse and scarier.

Anybody with similar situation? Your advice is needed and greatly appreciated!

Zoe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
(male)

acne_free HB User
Re: New to the forum and bowel disorder after preggo

im in the same situation as you , this started happening to me earlier this year i believe due to change in my diet due to a job i got at the mall and i started eating nothing but crap daily. I dont kno whats going on and what i should.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
(female)

beachlovr HB User

zoelee,
I wish that I had better news for you but it sounds like what you have is a rectocele. Many women get rectoceles from having babies. I have one and a cystocele and uterine prolapse too (all from carrying my babies and having vaginal deliveries). My rectocele has progressively gotten worse with each pregnancy (I had 3). My OB never told me anything about how all the organs in the pelvic region can be damaged or altered from pregnancy and vaginal delivery. I believe that is why all the celebrities have scheduled C-sections. Their OB's tell them about all the possible damage to the pelvic organs that can occur from vaginal deliveries and they don't have to follow what an insurance company says because they can afford to pay out of pocket.

Anyway, go onto a medical website and type in "rectocele" in the search box. It will give you a lot more information than I could. I am just living with my symptoms from my rectocele because the thought of doing any rectal or vaginal surgery is not worth it in my book. There are always pros and cons to every surgery and the cons never make it worth it if you ask me. I have heard that people that have had rectocele surgery say it takes a long time to heal, have a lot of pain with recovery, and have trouble having intercourse for quite a long time.

Once you know what a rectocele is from a medical website, do a search here on Healthboards by typing in "rectocele". You will get a bunch of insite from other sufferers.

Hope this helps! Hang in there.

Last edited by beachlovr; 11-15-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
(female)

zoelee HB User
Thanks for reply

Thanks guys for your reply. I'll look it up. Beachlovr, I don't think vaginal delivery is the cause of my problem, for I've got the problem before the delivery, and after delivery my problem is not getting better or worse. I think it's constipation plus enlarged uterus.

zoe

Old 11-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

You need to go and see a gastrologist

Old 12-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
(female)

zoelee HB User
beachlovr

you said you are living with the problem and not considering getting surgery. I was wondering how you cope with it on a day to day basis? Did you just try to ignore the sensation of the incomplete evacuation, or did you use help like me for a complete evacuation? I try to ignore it, but it is just too hard to ignore. So I'm using water enema, but I'm also afraid I'll develop dependency, and it's not convenient.

Closed Thread