It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

Address7 HB User
Colonoscopy -- what do you feel?

I read that during colonoscopy, the doctor or nurse might press a bit on your belly, to guide the probe through the colon. This made me wonder: do you feel the probe passing through, bumping into the wall, etc.?

Old 11-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
(female)

Clover100 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy -- what do you feel?

Whatever my doctor gave me, I really didn't feel anything. Afterward I remember thinking that I might have felt some pressure briefly---but nothing really painful. I woke up, wasn't even groggy, and went out for lunch afterward. As everyone always says, the preparation is much worse than the proceedure. Trust me, you will be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
(female)

Address7 HB User

Yeah, it can't be that bad, that's what everyone says, but I'm just wondering if you can feel the probe itself.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

I actually woke up in the middle of my colonoscopy and was asking the doctor questions. I didn't feel pain but rather was curious about what I was looking at on the computer screen. I didn't feel a thing, including not feeling the "probe" or anything else. the only thing I felt ws a little soreness because they took several samples to biopsy for colon cancer. Other than that, piece o cake.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

Just had my first screen today. Am home now to snooze off the meds. The prep wasn't bad at all....but then again...I love gatorade. The Miralax was tastless and had no grit to it. I had no problem getting down 2, 320z bottles of gatorade mixed with the miralax over a 5 hour period. And the 4 dulcolax tabs too.

Going wasn't a problem at all. No cramping .....I actually couldn't tell if I was peeing or doing the other!! LOL I had myself very worked up over this...as I am an IBS sufferer and had myself convinced the prep was going to cause ER visit type of stomach pain.

I thought so much laxative for such a tiny person. I'm only 5'3" and weigh 105 pounds. There's no way I could have as much food in me as a 200+ pound person. But the GI office said....nope you still have to take as much as a much larger person would. Go Figure!!!

Anyway.....this morning when Dr came in and we discussed my IBS-C condition....and how I effectively manage that, (by using laci le beau diet tea) and diet modification. This GI is totally fine with using that product...as the stimulant is "natural" not chemical, and there is absolutely no research to indicate it's harmful short or long term. I have been using it daily for 12 years.

He said he was going to use 75mg of Fentanyl and 3mg of Versed. The girls came over and said this is going to act very quickly Vickie.....and that's all I remember.

When I woke up in recovery....he came in and told us that the lining of my colon was pristine and in great condition....I'm in my early 50's now. One of the cleanest he had ever seen....and that he was going to start recommeding the tea to more of his IBS-C patients. Oh yeah...the best part....I don't need another colon exam for 10 years!!!

Now....I'm off to the sofa for some outstanding nap time courtesy of the twilight cocktail!

Last edited by Vickie306; 11-20-2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Old 11-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
(female)

Address7 HB User

That's great, Vicky!

I'm surprised to hear that you (and others on this board) were given sedatives so as to sleep through it all. I don't think they do that where I live.

(I'm of more or less the same height and weight as you, by the way. Good job on getting the prep done.)

Old 11-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
(female)

mimiof3 HB User

I was given the sme thing Vicky was. I also had an endoscopy ( down the throat-esphogus) at hte same time..reflux.. BOTH procedures took about 15-20 min. Hubby was shocked at how short it was. I had a tiny.. the size of a pin head polyp, that the gastro doc was SOOOOOOO POSITIVE was benign. Turns out it was a tiny pre-cancer. Thank God I had this VERY VERY EASY safe procedure done. He said the polyp may or may not have turned into a cancer, but it would have been yrs. I DO HOWEVER.. have to go back every 5 yrs., instead of every 10. If your first one is CLEAN.. no pre-cancer..it's every 10. I will go in 3 yrs. just to re-assure myself, I have a friend that passed away last spring after it had spread to her liver THIS PROCEDURE can save lives. GO FOR IT!!

Closed Thread