It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
(female)

bess01 HB User
Angry Having a colonostopy and cant use deodorant

Has any one else been told they can not use deodorant of any kind, on the day of their colonostopy.Please excuse spelling mistakes.From bess01.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Having a colonostopy and cant use deodorant

Maybe they mean genital deodorant? Call the doc's office to make sure...because I've never had that stated on any of my 7 c-scopes.

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2007, 05:38 AM   #3
(female)

bess01 HB User

Thanks for your reply quincy.The nurse said to me have a shower before i come to the hospital,and dont use any kind of body deodorant.It does seem a bit over the top i think.I had my last colonostopy 10 years ago and cant remember what i did back then.Any way, my appointment is set for 12-30 pm 17 th dec,so i will have my shower just before i leave for hospital.
From bess01

Old 11-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Makes no sense to me....hope it goes well for you...ask the doctor before he puts you under WHY that's a request.
You have me stymied on this one.

Let me know how it goes for you..

quincy

Old 11-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
(female)

Gavi112 HB User

I think what is called feminine hygeine deodorant could also be called body deodorant and they wouldn't want your bits sprayed with something that could cause allergic reaction to something they use on you during the test.

I am having one in two weeks and haven't been told any of that but I am in UK and when I had my sigmoidoscopy and endoscopy they didn't even make me take any of my clothes off! For the sig I just pulled my pants down a bit!!!!

Old 11-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

makes sense...the "bits" (love the term Gavi) shouldn't have any dedorant/creams..etc or they could also interfere with the biopsy results.

Interesting request, however, if it means the underarm deodorant...

q

Old 11-27-2007, 01:18 AM   #7
(female)

ILoveFrogs HB User

They are probably meaning feminine deodorant sprays. But it could refer to underarm also. If they are putting you under general anesthesia, they don't want any thing oily or with residue on your body so that they can hook up monitors to keep your vital signs monitored while you are under anesthesia.
There are sticky pads they put on your body, connected to leads that monitor your heart rate and such while you are under and lotions and deodorants can cause the pads to not stick to your body. That might be one reason. The other reason is deodorants can contain aluminum which can affect things like xrays. There are a couple of different reasons why they might request that before a procedure but don't worry, going without deodorant is okay, You can bathe when you get home and use one then if you want to. I am sure you won't smell bad just going without one morning.
A little underarm odor is natural and not to be ashamed of. They might allow you to use one of those natural crystal deodorant sticks that you get from natural foods store if you are very worried about going without. You just wet it and wipe under your arms, it is made from natural minerals and doesn't have aluminum and it really works.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:29 AM   #8
(female)

bess01 HB User

Hi to I Love Frogs.Thanks for your kind response.I am looking in to the deodorant that you mentioned.I really do have a bad BO problem when i dont use deodorant.Thanks again from bess01.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...the deodorant stones are potassium alum.....still aluminum in another form.

It just doesn't contain aluminum chlorohydrate.

Play with words....definitely do the homework where they make claims about only ONE ingredient and have many assume it means all forms of that ingredient.

You could try Thom's or Jason's deodorant that contains no aluminum.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 11-27-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Closed Thread