It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 03:12 AM   #1
(female)

Gavi112 HB User
Colonoscopy prep - fleet

I am due colonoscopy on 5th Dec and have just received my prep from hospital. I have heard some bad stories about fleet prep and would just like to hear from people who have used it or advice on what to do to lesson bad effects. I am going to ask my Dr if there is a nicer prep available so any suggestions appreciated.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy prep - fleet

I dont' know if you can get this or if its sold under another name in England, but ask your dr about OsmoPrep (sodium phosphate monobasic monohydrate / sodium phosphate dibasic anhydrous). This was the prep I used when getting a colonoscopy back in Sept and it was surprisingly mild. Its 32 tablets, taken 4 at a time in 2 rounds. No cramping, minor nausea but no vomiting, and no feelings of "pending bum explosions". And it did what it was supposed to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
(male)

David79 HB User

Hi Gav

I have had this prep 3 times now and have to say it tastes dam horrible but apart from getting it down I had no other problems. I asked my consultant if taking it with pure orange juice instead of water would be ok and he said yes it would be fine. Because orange juice is quite a powerful taste in itself I found it really helped and I didnt taste it as much.

My sugestion would be to mix it with a glass of orange juice and then neck it as it isn't easy once you start sipping it. Oh and dont go far from the toliet because my god that stuff works!!!

Hope this helps and if you need anymore info just ask.

Cheers
David

Old 11-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
(female)

Gavi112 HB User

thanks both. david I will take your advice and put it in orange juice and also suck it through a straw as a neighbour advised to stop it touching the taste buds. How much liquid did you drink ? and how long does the effect last - I have read that first one can affect you for up to 6 hrs and second dose up to 3 hrs.

I am a little concerned about it affecting my potassium levels etc but haven't heard of anyone having a problem with this who didn't have an existing low potassium problem anyway.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hi! Just had my first colonoscopy last month, and found a tip from a friend to be great! Ginger ale was my helper in swallowing the stuff - I mixed it with one can of ginger ale and drank it with a straw - just drank it down all at once, without stopping! Then drink another can of ginger ale - not all at once. Turned out that I didn't taste the stuff at all because the ginger ale is so strong and tingly. Good luck - the prep is pretty bad, but the colonoscopy is a breeze! p.s. - a dab of A and D ointment before and after going made it less burn-y back there during the repeated toilet visits!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

I'll pass this tip on. My GI told me to avoid all tomato and citric acid, lettuce, fruit with skins, vegetables with skins and the obvious seeds/nuts for 7 days prior to the test.

By doing this I had no cramping, or burning sensation of any kind when the prep kicked in. I am assuming because of the lack of heavy fiber and a totally non acidic diet.

Anyway....it was my first colonoscopy (Tues) and all the anxiety I had leading up to it...turned out to be for nothing. The prep and test was a cake walk. I mean...yes I did make 22 total trips to the bathroom LOL but there was no irritation or soreness at all. And the Versed/fentanyl cocktail I received during the test put my lights OUT.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
(female)

Gavi112 HB User

Thanks for the tips - I was going to go on a low residue diet for a week beforehand which I have been told is basically white bread, chicken, eggs, low fat dairy and jelly etc. As I normally eat wholemeal bread and green vegetables every day it will be quite a change for me!

I will also stock up on the bum cream! and moist toilet roll.

Did anyone drink rehydration/sports drinks during the prep??

Old 11-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
(female)

alaska_free HB User

Hi Gavi

I am having a colonoscopy on Dec 10th and have some of the same concerns with potassium level. I already deal with low potassium and take potassium daily. When I told my family dr about the prep and colonscopy, he prescribed oral potassium to take during the prep.

My prep is mag citrate, ducolax (possibly), and miralax.

jennifer

Old 11-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
(male)

David79 HB User

Hi Gavi

I have to say I found that once I drunk the first fleet drink that I had to go to the loo often and it didnt really go back to normal until after the colonoscopy.
I am unsure about your potassium levels though. I'd consult your GP before hand as I'm sure they'll know.

I hope everything goes well, you'll find the drinks the hardest bit and after that you'll find it a breeze.

David

Old 11-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska_free View Post
Hi Gavi

I am having a colonoscopy on Dec 10th and have some of the same concerns with potassium level. I already deal with low potassium and take potassium daily. When I told my family dr about the prep and colonscopy, he prescribed oral potassium to take during the prep.

My prep is mag citrate, ducolax (possibly), and miralax.

jennifer
I too have to watch my potassium levels. My prep...4 dulcolax tablets at 2pm, and then starting at 4pm, miralax 119 gms mixed with 32 0z bottle of gatorade over 2 hour period...followed by another 119gms of miralax mixed with another 32oz bottle of gatorade to be consumed within another 2 hour period.

The huge amount of electrolytes in the gatorade more than compensates for any loss during the elimination.

Last edited by Vickie306; 11-24-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #11
(female)

tweeteebird HB User

Hi.....I have been getting colonoscopies for many years (15) for ulcerative colitis. I must have tried all the preps out there and believe me most were horrible,,,horrible! I now take one which is a breeze. It is called Pico-Salax. It come in 2 little pouches, you mix it with 5oz of water and it taste like lemon aid. I would recommend this to anyone. Hope this helps. Take Care...Tweetee

Old 12-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #12
(female)

Sabrina67 HB User

I wish I had known the dulcolax prep when I had my colonoscopy...I dad the fleet stuff and put it in orange crush........EWWWWWWWWW. I still cant drink it two years later. I was so sick and pooped and pooped. Which is the point , but whew. It tasted so bad and salty. I realise the person performing the test needs a clear view(ahem) but wow.
I think if I have another Tweeteebird has a great product.
Good luck with your test.
Sabrina

Closed Thread