It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lady287 HB User
Removal of whole right colon

Hi,
I'm having a colon resection done next week - Dec 5th. I went for my pre-op today. I was told by my surgeon that he would be removing my entire right colon, up to two feet long. I have been religiously watching the posts and have printed up everything I can find about resection surgery. (Thank you Redneon, Clover100, Driver37, Marmex, goody2shuz, libloom, MrsQuuez, nanabee and whoever else I may have missed). I'm taking about fifteen pages of your expereinces with me to the hospital so that I will know what to expect. It certainly is much more helpful than the medical help. Anyway... my question is this: does it make a difference that they are removing so much? Has anyone else out there had the less common right-sided diverticulitis? Any feedback is appreciated....!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:58 AM   #2
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User
Re: Removal of whole right colon

I'm not sure of the differences between right and left. I had the surgery on the left side, but I had 18 inches removed. I don't think it matters so much how much is removed as whether or not they are able to remove all the diverticulae. If I remember right, I think Harry had even more taken than me, and others have had major removals and have done just fine. I don't notice any changes in my bowel habits, 2 years into it. It may certainly take some time for your body to adjust to the changes, but again, I can't speak for the right side. Best of luck to you! Your date is coming soon, and good for you, doing your research! I agree, that hearing from those who have had the same experience have a lot more to offer than the medical staff sometimes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread