It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 05:02 AM   #16
(female)

michelle13 HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

I hope I haven’t made things difficult starting another thread!

BG ~ I’m SO glad things went well for you! You sounded GREAT last night! I hope that you’re feeling as good today. Did they give you a choice on your anesthetic before surgery? So, they didn’t put you to sleep? I’m assuming whatever they did wasn’t bad…as chipper as you were….

Today is my last “normal” day. Tomorrow afternoon I will have to take my Citrus Magnesia at 4pm and only clear liquids after that….and nothing after midnight. I have to be at the hospital at 9am on Thursday morning. I’m going to get a couple more good work outs in before then….about to head to the gym in a few minutes.

Guys & gals, I have to say I’m really starting to get nervous and anxious. I thought I was doing fine….but today I’m questioning that.

I’ll be checking in to see how you’re doing today BG….keep us posted as much as you can.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:21 AM   #17
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hey, peeps! Hope all is well! I'm getting a little weirded out about this, but I still feel very little pain. There was considerable uncomfortable-ness during the night - tingling and stretching - but at 3 a.m., I took a couple of Advil's (at my doctor's suggestion) in case the swelling was increasing and all was well til I woke up at 7:30. In order to stay on schedule with meds, I took 3 Tylenol & a Benadryl. Now I'm sitting in my chair with my legs crossed up on the side of my bed having breakfast with you guys, my crew!

I keep waiting for the wakeup call for a bm, but nothing yet. I did take a look at what he did - I have the handiest little book light that I got for Christmas about three years ago and never used. I popped a couple of batteries in that bad boy, got out my little handheld mirror and took a good long look. Oh god - when the feeling returns, I think I'm in for quite a ride! There are two very obvious spots where my skin is open (doctor said he prefers leaving the wound open - he thinks it reduces infection) and I cannot imagine why on earth it doesn't burn when I pee! I guess leaning forward on the toilet has kept the pee where I don't want it ...

I'm going to go eat my gruel (shoprite brand cinnamon roll oatmeal with 2 tablespoons of unprocessed bran on top - delish!!) and 1/2 apple - wedges with skin on, three prunes, 1 nice hot cup of decaf coffee. I've been drinking so much that I've been peeing clear since yesterday afternoon. I will continue to do that ... no constipation here!

Michelle - Yes, they did put me to sleep. I remember before surgery being positioned by the nurses and then the table was rising and being put into position by the surgeon and they asked if I was comfortable, and that was the end of that! I woke up feeling like a million bucks - sitting on one of their rolling recliner chairs being wheeled to recovery!
I was a really nervous nellie yesterday morning ... up to the point when they called asking me to come early. They were amazing at the surgical center (for those of you in the Delaware area, Christiana Care RULES!! My surgery center was right next door to the Wilmington Hospital campus on Jefferson Street in Wilmington - the nurses were excellent and warm and caring and they LOVE my surgeon! What put me at ease right away was hearing how much the nurses and surgical staff respect and like him!

So calm down, girl. The only thing negative about my experience was how f&^*%$% cold the operating room was!! I'm still sniffling and sneezing ... so Benadryl is really important. Do you have any? I did, but just by luck. You might want to pick up a bottle just in case you have this problem because sneezing really makes you feel like your insides have fallen out - and would be VERY painful if I wasn't still numb!

Thanks, all. I'll check back later to keep you posted. I cannot imagine that this painfree state can last much longer ...

Last edited by beachgal01; 12-04-2007 at 05:28 AM. Reason: forgot to answer a question!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 06:22 AM   #18
(female)

RoadRunner0213 HB User

BG- Glad to hear things are going well for you! Hope you have a speedy recovery!!!!!

Michelle- Good luck. You'll do fine!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:34 AM   #19
(female)

rhales199 HB User

Hi everyone!
BG-- I was thinking of you yesterday. I'm glad to hear that you seem to be doing well.
Sorry i didn't post any encouraging words yesterday, but my internet was on the fritz (thank goodness it's working this morning!)

Michelle- Here's hoping you have a good day tomorrow-- I will be thinking of you!

Glad to hear everyone else is doing well.

When I went to the Dr last Friday, they had me start putting some steroid cream on my suppository that I have to use every night. They want me do use it every night for a week, and I go back in on Friday to see if it helped.
They also 'checked me again (this was a new Dr, so they 'HAD' to make sure it was a hemrrhoid). The pain was just as bad as the last time, but I was able to handle it better- I don't know if it was because I was already in pain by that time, or if I was expecting it to hurt (maybe both). I forgot to use the suppository Fri night, and was in pain most of Saturday. It is amazing how much being in pain drains you. I remembered to use the suppository Sat & sun. night, and didn't have much pain sunday or yesterday. I forgot to use it last night (was very tired and fell asleep) but seem to be doing good so far, but I've only been up 2 hours (but already had a BM and didn't have too much of a problem).

well, here's hoping everyone has a good day!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:15 AM   #20
(male)

TacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB User

Beachgal,

It sounds like you are doing great - I'm glad the blood stopped. I think you are expecting more pain than you are going to feel pre-BM. I never really hurt much before the BM. I was just uncomfortable - mostly from the swelling I think. After the BM, I wasn't in significant pain either. It just felt like everything was falling out. I'm sure I was just swelling worse and I was just feeling pressure from it, but it really felt like if I had jumped my guts would had fallen into the floor - but I wasn't walking the floor in pain at all. I was just uncomfortable. Now recognize that I am talking about after the spasms have stopped. Spasms hurt because you can feel them pulling at the surgical site - but they aren't unbearable pain (for me at least). Mine just lasted so long that it wore me out. But it makes you sleep well afterward. Actually, I can't remember ever sitting around just hurting unless it was related to a BM. But anytime I felt much discomfort I climbed into the tub. My surgeon sewed my wounds up, so you may have a different experience...but the epsom salt water never burned when I climbed into the tub. It only provided relief. Now that's not to say I didn't feel pain. Sitting down, getting out of bed - some things like that would hurt sometimes - but it wasn't mindbending pain and it was very short duration. If I sat down in the recliner, it might hurt a bit til I got leaned back. But it was more just an indicator to be careful - not that I was about to cry from it. I'm sure it was the result of staying on schedule with the pain pills - understand that I didn't necessarily stay on my surgeon's schedule. I started at every 4 hours per his instruction. I increased to every 5 or 6 hrs pretty quickly without any issues, but I wouldn't jump to every 8 hrs without doing every 5, then 6, then 7. I didn't get very aggressive with pushing the schedule. I think I did every 5 to 6 hrs max - plus at any signs of pain, I took another pain pill and restarted the countdown to the next one. Just be aware how many you take a day since they cause constipation. At any sign of a BM I would take a pain pill within 3 hrs, but not 2. I kept a zip lock baggie of my pills that I carried around with me & a glass of water. I carried those to the tub, bedside, chairside, etc. It was annoying to get all reclined and realize it was time for a pill.

I'm sure you are taking stool softeners too, but I'm just going to check. The fiber isn't going to be enough. I'm sure that bacon will get soft after you eat it so probably no issues there, but anything that is gritty in your mouth you should chew extra well. I would chew things into a pulp. It sounds like you are doing plenty of water like you should.

Again, it sounds like you are doing great. I'll check in again later to see how you are doing. I don't think that BM is going to hit until late tonight or tomorrow morning; but best of luck with it - just remember not to push nor hold your breath, and it'll do its thing. Hopefully it'll sneak up on you like mine did so you don't have time to think about it.

Michelle - I didn't get the jitters til the day before surgery & mine were pretty bad until I woke up the morning of surgery. I had trouble falling asleep, but the morning of surgery it was like I was in a rush to get things done for the hospital visit - that took the edge off. I envy Beachgal's attitude going into this. After you get to the hospital, they will be pretty quick about getting you in a bed and on "happy" meds.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:21 AM   #21
(female)

michelle13 HB User

BG ~ I think my doctor had said the numbing shot they will give me should last a couple of days….sounds like that’s what you got. I sure hope mine does! I’ve asked my husband to take off work Thursday & Friday…not sure if that was really necessary. If mine doesn’t wear off until Saturday…you think I could make my husbands company Christmas party on Friday night?? LOL…I’m just kidding.

I went to the gym this morning and got a GREAT workout in…amazing how that can lift your spirits and make you feel better about everything.

BG, are you taking prescription pain meds or just OTC stuff? Did the surgeon give you any instructions when you were done? I’m amazed at how little I’ve been told by my doctor. I’ve had to ask for any information I’ve gotten. Funny when it’s cosmetic they tell you EVERYTHING. They even give you your prescriptions to get filled BEFORE surgery so that you don’t have to mess with it afterwards….but stuff like this and when I had my hysterectomy….you get nothing really. Maybe that’s what has me a little frazzled. I like to know everything ahead of time. You guys have been great with giving me that information…and you have no idea what that has done to help me prepare…it just makes me nervous that I’m not getting at least some of it from my doctor. Does that make ANY sense?

Time to clean house….I’ll keep checking back in.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #22
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hi, guys! Thanks for your wishes ... seems like they are working! Still very little pain. No bm yet, but I think I might be working on one of those 18 inchers TG told us about since I have been RAVENOUSLY hungry! My butt is starting to send little stingy sensations to my brain ... I'm thinking that some time in the tub is coming after the Young and the Restless is over. Haven't used the sitz or the tub yet ... figured that if nothing hurts, why screw with it by sitting in warm water!
I am not sleeping well at all ... and I am so darned tired. I'm going to lay back down. Thanks again for the wonderful wishes. You guys are great support.

Michelle - yes, this must be the long lasting pain shot your doctor told you about. Mine didn't mention how long I'd be numb - and I couldn't have HOPED for this long, so I am a happy girl! My doctor gave me pretty good instructions for after care, and they gave me a bottle of pills, not a prescription. There was no hassle after surgery at all!

Keep a good attitude, girl. You're prepared for everything you need afterwards, and you will be fine. Thanks again, TacomaGuy, for the Guide. It has been very helpful.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #23
(male)

TacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB User

Hmmm.... Am I the only one that is wondering what Michelle had done cosmetically? *wink* Just messing with ya.

Beachgal is using Vicodine...not sure if I ever spell it correctly, but that's what I was given also. I was given Valium as well, but BG hasn't mentioned that anywhere.

Beachgal, read the side of your vicodine bottle. Mine says not to take tylenol with it because it has tylenol in it and you can take too much. I wasn't allowed Tylenol until I stopped taking the prescription stuff. I could take Ibuprofen though. I don't know if all vicodine is the same or if mine is a mixture of some sort. I don't have it at work to look at.

I think most of us found this board because we felt that the Dr didn't give us enough info to prepare for surgery. Mine would not fill the prescription before surgery, not even the day before. His staff offered to fax me my post-care sheet after I complained, but I don't own a fax machine and I didn't want that to come across the company fax..so here I am.

Glad you are still doing well after lunch, Beachgal. I wasn't told of any numbing shot, but who knows what all happens when you are in surgery.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #24
(female)

michelle13 HB User

I hate surgery! I ALWAYS gain at least 5 lbs afterwards. I’m hoping that this time I won’t eat as bad knowing the pain it could cause when it exits. I always want pizza rolls with ranch dressing during recovery….I’m pretty sure that’s not a good source for fiber.

I wonder why some doctors prescribe a muscle relaxer along with pain meds and others don’t. I would think that if you’re having spasms (which everyone has said they’ve had them) that a muscle relaxer would help with that more than pain meds.

43 ½ hours countdown for me. I think I’m ready.

Last edited by michelle13; 12-04-2007 at 03:37 PM.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #25
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hi, guys! Well, I did it. My first bm ... and I wasn't even in the tub yet! I was filling the tub and sat down to pee before I got in the tub for what I was sure would be gas but just in case it was more, I wanted to be in the tub! So I was peeing, and realized that it was time. Not time was coming, but time was here. And it wasn't so bad! I was so surprised - it was nice and soft and easy ... just like I studied for all last week! Hip, HIP, HOORAYYYYYY!! Michelle - I hope you have been experimenting with fiber and stool softener ... I found that the perfect combo for me seems to be 1 colace and 2 (520 mg) Psyllium Fiber pills in the morning, and 2 colace and 1 Psyllium Fiber with dinner. Along with 2 packets of oatmeal with extra bran at breakfast and an apple a day - 1/2 at breakfast, 1/2 at dinner. So far, so good! I am certain that they won't all be like that, but wow, it was a dream come true!!

I am EXHAUSTED - I'm going to lay down. Hope y'all have had a great day! Funny - my Aflac rep called to see how I am doing and to offer his 'get well soon' wishes!! I got quite a chuckle from that ...

Old 12-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #26
(female)

michelle13 HB User

WOOHOO for BEACHGAL!!! I know you’re glad the first BM has come and gone!! I’m glad the pain wasn’t as bad as it’s been for some. I’ve got my fingers crossed for the same….

Got a question…where do you get extra bran & fiber to add to your food?

You know I had told you guys that I had changed my diet to more fiber…well, in the last few days I have slipped back into my old habits. I guess I have in my head that some of this food is going to be a no-no for awhile and I should enjoy it now.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #27
(male)

RX7CANEDOG HB User
Cool Re: Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Hello

Thank god for these two threads. i have surgery tomorrow dec 5th. Wasnt nervous or prepared at all. then this morning i pulled up some post from another web site describing horrible negitive post surgery stuff. Unbearable pain ect.. then came to this site and found a big relief.ive been getting ready all day. and i also plan to be very positive about my experiance. Thanks to all who have keep up on their experiance on these threads. Hope you all feel great soon. I cant wait to get this done and focus on regular life again.
I will have general anesthetic,to remove internal hems on with a skin tag.
They are not hurting or bleeding latley but i want this done for good.

does anyone have a quick survival list, hints, Diets, or thread # just to make sure i have every thing i need.

what i do have is this:
fleet ez prep - bowel cleanser- for tonight
fleet enima for late tonight---should leave me extra cleaned out
stool softner
tylonol
benadryll
medicated wipes
pads
bidegt
febreeze
ziplockbags
epson salts

please tellme anything im missing or anything i need to think about

i plann to hold off my bowell movement long as possible with liquid diet
i also plan to document my experiance on this thread hopefully to help others
ALSO IM A BAD SPELLER WITH LITTLE TIME LEFT LOL
TANKS AGAIN

Old 12-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #28
(female)

michelle13 HB User

There is a thread called Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery Guide Page 1. Check it out. It will give you all sorts of information. Our friend TACOMAGUY gathered all of the information from others (and his own) recoveries and put it in order as you would need it.

Also, I’ve heard that you want some substance to your BM’s…might want to do more research on that liquid diet before you start it.

Good luck tomorrow….Please keep us posted with your recovery.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #29
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hi! Me again - just finished dinner. You are not going to believe this ... I am questioning my sanity, actually, but here's what I ate: 3 bbq ribs, oven fried potato wedges, salad with blue cheese dressing, and a brownie and peanut butter ice cream.

I decided that my take home instruction sheet is right ... resume normal diet as tolerated. And I was starving. I couldn't bear another bowl of oatmeal or soup ... I needed to eat. I am able to pass gas successfully and painlessly - more so than before surgery, in fact, because the excess skin interfered with the passing gas process! That is improvement right there ... ALOT of the excess skin is gone! Woooohooooo!

I have been pretty active today - walking around alot (though I just have a two bedroom apartment, so that isn't saying much!) and just moving. I cannot believe that there is no pain yet ... it's not something I was prepared for, to tell you the truth! I never imagined that I would be sitting at my dining room table eating dinner with my man tonite!! Sitting like I DIDN'T just have a hemorrhoidectomy! I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the doctor cut a nerve or something!

Michelle - I got this stuff called Quaker Unprocessed Bran at my local Shoprite grocery store. It packs quite a wallop - 8 gms of fiber per 1/3 cup serving. I sprinkled it on my oatmeal in the morning, into my soup at lunch and on my peanut butter ice cream a few minutes ago! I got psyllium capsules at BJs (2 bottles for $10!!) - I cannot stand Metamucil, and I refused to pay top dollar for the other stuff!

RX7CANEDOG - I would strongly urge you to rethink the liquid diet decision. That is the worst thing you can do, according to many of the sage folks who took this journey before us .... do a search for anal stenosis - or for anal dilation. That's how they fix anal stenosis - the narrowing of the anal canal. They have to stretch it manually if you don't keep your poop normal sized. Sorry to be so blunt, but welcome to the wonderful world of surviving hemorrhoidectomy.

And Dog -- PLEASE take Michelle's advice and read TacomaGuy's guide to recovery. It is guiding my path ... except that I'm a gal who colors outside the lines most of the time, so I am taking a little different route than he took with eating. I hate to waste calories on non-satisfying food ... thus my rib dinner the night after my hemorrhoidectomy!!

Old 12-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #30
(female)

michelle13 HB User

OK Beachgal…are you SURE you had a Hemorrhoidectomy???? LOL I sure hope that I’m doing as well as you after my surgery!!! I do think that you got the numbing shot that my doc is giving me…he said that it would last a few days. Hopefully by the time it wears off the worse part will be over with…just a wishful thought!!! I’m so glad that everything is going smooth for you!

How is getting in and out of the waterbed going?

Closed Thread