It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
(female)

michelle13 HB User
Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

The other thread was getting so long. I thought I would start another one for our recovery (BeachGal).

I'm a 39 year old mother of 2 and I'm scheduled for surgery next Thursday. I was very nervous about it until I found this site. I think I'm prepared now and ready to deal with the recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
(female)

beachgal01 HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Hello! I am a 48 year old gal who is scheduled to have the surgery on 12/3/07 at 1:30. YIKES! THAT'S TOMORROW! Ha! YIKES is how I felt about this surgery when my doctor first uttered the word. Then I found this site ... and YIKES doesn't begin to describe the dread with which I associated this surgery. Now, having read everything there is to read on healthboards.com - from TammyNoska to Big Budha, I found Hemorrhoidectomy Hopes and got to know the group on that thread as they had their surgery and into their recovery.

We all agreed that our surgeons gave us a very small percentage of the information you really need to survive surgery, so TacomaGuy put together his amazing Guide to Thriving after Hemorrhoidectomy and shared it with us. I have purchased everything he said he used, and I am doing WAY more prep than my surgeon indicated was necessary. I can give you the reason in a few little words - 'THAT FIRST BOWEL MOVEMENT AFTER SURGERY'. I am interested in giving my butt a bit of time between the surgeon's scalpel and my next bowel movement - and even then, I will be in the tub when the big event occurs.

I will do my very best to keep adding to this thread because the thing that makes me feel so prepared and ready for the surgery is having followed my good pals TacomaGuy and ILoveFrogs and RoadRunner0213 through theirs - their generosity of spirit inspires me to try to follow their lead and log my own journey through.

I will be taking my poop cocktail this evening around 6 p.m., and as I remember from my colonoscopy prep a mere month ago, the hems do NOT like pooping so much. Oh well ... 24 hours from now, I will be getting home and climbing three flights of steps to my apartment! Hopefully, it won't be long before I'm acing those steps in my quest to move around, move around, move around! So the instructions begin. Nothing after midnight by mouth, of course, even though my surgery isn't until 1:30 pm! That does NOT seem fair, to me!!

Michelle and RHales ... I know you're rooting for me, gals. I'll try really hard to give as complete a journal as those who walked these steps before me. I wonder if I will be able to offer anything new - since we have been guided very carefully and completely already!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hi, all! Just checking in. I am actually excited to be getting this over with, kids! Yahoo! Tomorrow is the big day! Since my surgery isn't until 1:30, I don't need to leave my apartment until 11:30. So I am going to work for a couple of hours in the morning - which should keep my mind off of things til my 10:30 a.m. enema! Yup - that is the entirety of my surgeon's pre-surgery orders: One enema an hour before I leave for the hospital.
Of course since we are dealing with MY ********, I know better than him - I am in the process of roto rootering my system using the colonoscopy prep stuff. I reckon I will not have to cope with a bm until at least Tuesday evening, depending upon how much I decide to eat on Monday night/Tuesday day. Haven't really given it much thought, but I have LOTS of good stuff ... plenty of gruel (my man's word for oatmeal!!) and turkey noodle soup and bran muffins! Gotta keep everything running smoothly, right?!

Ok - I'm beckoned back to my bathroom. I wish you all could see my bedroom and bathroom! I have candles and incense burning so there is flickering light all around. The tv is droning on about something (not really paying attention!!). I have gone all out to set the mood to calming and peaceful! I'm hoping that will help ease through this cleanout process! I have a big fluffy warm quilt on my bed with lots of pillows and it is really pleasing to the eye. Hopefully, I won't just be looking at it for the next few days! Everyone please cross your fingers that I will be able to get out of my waterbed with a minumum of pain/effort after surgery! It really is my favorite place on the planet!

Here's to an early finish on the pooping ... talk to you all in the morning!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
(female)

rhales199 HB User

Yep, I'm rooting for ya, girl! Here's hoping you have a good day tomorrow, your surgery goes well, and you make it up those stairs ok! (If ya need to, just take your time... plus whoever is driving ya home could probably help you get up the stairs~ )

Take care!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
(female)

rhales199 HB User

Just saw your newest post, beachgal--- I was kinda wondering about how you would handle the morning, so I'm glad to hear you'll be working,s o that would take your mind off of it. I know I would go nuts having to wait until the afternoon, especailly after not being able to eat since the night before.
Your bathroom and bedroom sound WONDERFUL!!

Here's hoping your waterbed won't give you too much trouble!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
(male)

TacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB User

3 flights of stairs, waterbed boards to crawl over, excited about surgery - you are a bit of a thrill seeker, aren't you?

That did make me chuckle though...candles to set the mood. Now don't you go and make a bubble bath tomorrow after surgery. You get epsom salt and water. Actually, that's all that I used. I would stand up and shower off afterward - usually before bed - and soap everything except my incisions. I never soaped my incisions until the second week. I was in the water so much, I was mostly lathering up for my face and hair. The rest of me didn't get much chance to get too grimy.

Actually I hope you come out of surgery in the condition that I did. I was sore, but never felt much pain until the BM. I think you are correct on when it is likely to hit, but everyone is a little different.

Once again, best of luck.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hi, everyone! Thrill seeker? Ha! If you only knew how far that description is from the real me! No, I just have an unusual approach to that which scares the hell out of me or makes me want to transport to another galaxy. I set a goal beyond the event, and try to focus on only that goal. My goal is 'Beachcomb along the beaches of Lewes, Delaware' - and I would LOVE to be ready in 3 weeks. There is lots of walking and bending and reaching and deep knee bends and we are typically out for three or four hours at a stretch ... I am setting my first beachcombing date for the weekend before Christmas! And I want to beachcomb at the Point at Cape Henlopen State Park - bayside walking towards the ocean. Here's to making that date!!! I am a positive thinker ... always.

Ok - it has been a disturbingly easy night ... pooping didn't begin in earnest until 4:30 a.m. - and I need to be done enough to go to work in an hour and a half, so I'm off to take care of that. I have to wonder why the prep worked so differently than for my colonoscopy! That stuff worked within an hour of taking it and kept me in the bathroom until I was done. Last night, it was as if I hadn't taken anything!!! Interesting. I would be absolutely SCREWED if my surgery was this morning, wouldn't I? Yahoo that surgery isn't until later! (there's that positive thinker again!!)

TG - thanks! I hope I come out of surgery as you did, too! In fact, that is anothe thing I've been focused on ... following your path of recovery! You inspire me, dude ... here's hoping! And no, I know not to use bubble bath right away ... my Dr. Bronner's Castile Peppermint soap will be with me, though. Keep smiling!

Last edited by beachgal01; 12-03-2007 at 04:19 AM. Reason: forgot something!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:37 AM   #8
(female)

RoadRunner0213 HB User

Good luck today. I'm thinking about you!

Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #9
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh! I just got a call from the surgical center asking me to be there an hour and a half early! Oh no! So I rushed home from work and I'm doing the enema and my entire schedule is screwed up now! The surgeon promised that if I show up early, he will begin surgery at noon! So, all those good thoughts for 1:30? Move them up to Noon, please! I'll check back later ...

Old 12-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #10
(female)

michelle13 HB User

BG, even though you still have a few more hours till surgery....I'm thinking about ya! ...wish I was going on in today as well so that I could get it over with!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Good evening, kids! I'M BAAAACCCCKKKK!

As I mentioned earlier, I had my surgery at noon. I was shocked to get the call to come in early for surgery (I have NEVER heard of that!!!), and informed my doctor that he had literally stolen a full hour and a half of worrying that I didn't get to do. He was great fun and helped to make this a terrific experience so far!

Of course, you can tell that there is no pain down yonder at this time. Whatever they gave me down there, I wish I had some to take every eight or so hours ...

I had internal and external work done. I've been bleeding alot - filled the elephant pad they gave me at the surgical center on the way home, and have almost filled another maxi pad.

Michelle and those who come behind me (ha ha) ... go get a few ziploc sandwich baggies and stash them in the bathroom. The pads today have really smelled awful -- and I do mean awful. I would've stunk up my entire apartment without my ziploc bags! And put some air spray around your room and bathroom, too. It took about five minutes for this place to smell like a sick bay and that will NOT do! I love the new Febreeze Air Effects Spring and Renewal scent.

So I do not hurt one little bit. I took extra strength Tylenol (2) at 3:25 and took a Benadryl at 4:25 (I had some issues with sneezing, which did make me feel like my *** was falling out - mucho pressure, not pain. I think that particular feeling will not be a good one when this magic dust wears off, so I think I will be mighty good pals with Benadryl for the next few days. The operating room was FREEZING cold ... so maybe that's why the runny nose and sneezing?)

Thanks to you all for hanging with me ... I think I got my wish - I am having a Tacoma Guy experience so far. I am going to grab my printout and read about your first night, Trey - keep sending me those positive vibes!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #12
(female)

ILoveFrogs HB User

BeachGal, did you have a spinal or general anesthetic? Did you get RX for pain meds or just planning on tylenol? Glad you made it up the stairs okay. If you are still bleeding that much tomorrow, you might want to double check with surgeon that it is okay. Good luck tonight, hope you sleep well.

P.S. Love that Dr. Bronner's peppermint also, but might not want to use it on your butt right now, might be a bit too much excitement for your butt right now.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #13
(male)

TacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB User

Firstly, I have no idea what Dr. Bronner's peppermint is. I have a feeling that by now, Beachgal knows whether it was a bad idea or not. Hopefully it wasn't. I'd stick with epsom salts unless that's the base of the peppermint stuff.

You are bleeding more than I did my first day, but my 2 hems that were scapeled were kind of on the edge of where my rectum ended. They packed some sort of dissolving gauze in my rectum so it being in there created enough pressure to stop the bleeding and it caught alot of the blood. That was really nasty when it came out with my first BM on the 2nd day. The gauze that the surgeon had put between my butt cheeks was probably half soaked when I removed it to get in the tub the evening after surgery. You may be bleeding because your external hems may have been further outside of your rectum, but I agree that you shouldn't be having your pads soaked in blood or I'd call the Dr also. It may have to do with walking the stairs also - so I think in the morning it'll settle down. I think the salt water soaks will most likely dry most of that up fairly quickly in either case. Just recognize a little blood looks like alot in water, so you'll need to judge your bleeding out of the water. Sorry, but that smell is going to hang around til the drainage stops. The good thing is that it's not too noticeable until you change the gauze out.

I think Ilovefrogs is thinking the same thing I am. You need to make sure you stay ahead of the pain and tylenol by itself probably isn't going to be enough. I expect it is the first dose and you are following it with something stronger after the hospital meds have a little time to start wearing off. But for what it's worth, it sounds like you are feeling better than what I did when I first arrived home. Hopefully you'll stay on your pain med schedule throughout the night.

When you start getting uncomfortable, head for that bath. I'm serious that I spent probably 10 hours each day soaking because that's where it was most comfortable. I'd get out mostly to keep on track with my pain pills, eat, or to sleep; but most of my "awake" hours were in the tub. Be sure not to fill the tub so full that you can't slide down onto your back to get your weight off your behind. I got really good at turning the water handles and pulling the drain plug with my toes so I could keep the water warm without getting up. Plus, what else are you going to practice in a tub for 10 hrs?

I was sneezy after my surgery too. I wonder if the breathing tube or something causes that. Or maybe you are over-frebreezing your bathroom And you are correct, coughing and sneezing really gets your attention.

Sounds like your first evening went well - I'm really glad to hear it. Stay on track with the pain pills - stay ahead of the pain. Your body needs food and rest to heal. Best of luck these next few days; hopefully you are sleeping really well right now. Sweet dreams .... mine were really weird on the meds - very vivid colors.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #14
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hi, all! It is sometime around 12:40 a.m. and all is well. I woke up at 11:30 to take my pain meds (staying on that schedule, come rain or come shine ....) and haven't been able to fall back to sleep! I was trying out my sprayer shower hose that hooks up to the sink right next to my toilet, and ended up spraying the room! Be careful if you buy one of those ... they have a mind of their own!! So I ended up having to dry the whole darned bathroom ... it benefitted from the experience and I spent half an hour making sure everything was organized just right for the next week or so!

I STILL have no pain. Even peeing was painfree. Kind of strange, huh? Nice strange, but strange nonetheless. I was bending down wiping the floor and felt some pressure from the position but no pain at all.

If this is staying ahead of the pain, I LOVE IT! Doctor said every four hours, and I even went five just now (time got away from me when the shower went ape, so I didn't end up taking the meds til 12:30!

I am not febreezing myself into sneezeland, I hope. Actually, haven't had the need to spray it since that first couple of pads - I'm no longer bleeding. I think it's probably a safe bet that 15 minutes on I-95 from Wilmington to Newark contributed, as did my steps!

I did not have a general anesthetic. I forget the name of the stuff they gave me, but they said it would only keep me asleep so I didn't get helpful during the operation. The real prize is whatever that local anesthetic was - I am sitting on a padded folding chair with my weight on my right butt cheek and my legs up on the side of my bed.

I chickened out with the Dr Bronners but plan to use it in the tub. Perhaps not when soaking, but it is just so soothing to me! It's base is castille soap, which used to be heavily used in hospitals (castille, not peppermint!!) It does pack quite a tingle, so I'm thinking ILF has the right idea!! I haven't had any reason to use either the sitz bath or the bathtub, but I am remembering how delicious and extra crispy that bacon was and am comforted to know that it will be rendered less painful on it's way out by me being in a nice warm tub with epson salts. (doesn't it sting??)

I am really hungry again! One of my neighbors works the graveyard shift and cannot sleep at night on his days off. He tends to do his cooking for the week on those days. Tonite he is making spaghetti sauce, and it smells soooooo good. If he was on my floor, I'd go knock on his door for a taste, but he is on the ground floor and that is a million miles away with two sets of stairs between us.

Well, I'm going to go back to bed. I so appreciate your notes, and I'm delighted that you are doing well. Talk more tomorrow!

P.S. - still don't know if I will be able to get out of my bed once the pain sets in, so I snagged a couple of diapers from another neighbor who just lost her 88 year old mother last month. I reckon if it is really bad trying to get out of bed to pee, I have a Plan B with that diaper. It will prevent me from having to make the bed, anyhow!

Last edited by beachgal01; 12-03-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: forgot something!

Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #15
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Oops - I forgot. I was given Vicaden for pain. I took it at 12:30 (I was an hour late due to that out of control sprayer!!) I took it, but really feel like I shouldn't since I didn't have any pain! But, keeping on the schedule is important ... especially since the local has not worn off yet!! Once the pain rolls in, I am going to be pretty glad I stayed on track, right?

Closed Thread