It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
(male)

Dave1967 HB User
soft stool causes? need help please

I just turned 40 and over the last 3 months my stool is always very soft. I have to wipe forever it seems because everything does not come out. This is something very recent. My diet has not changed at all. Any ideas on what could be the cause? Or how to get back to being normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
(male)

ACE12345 HB User
Re: soft stool causes? need help please

Eat more fiber. Fiber makes your poo hard

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Well it is probably because you are aging and your bowel and sphincter muscles just aren't as sharp as they once were. There are many older people that have to wipe and wipe and in fact buy those baby wipes along with toilet tissue to help so as not to get so raw. As far as why your bowels are softer...hummm who knows. As my husband and I age so much changes. If now I so much as look at an piece of fruit(which I love and have eaten all my life) I get soft to diarrhea depending on which way the wind is blowing that day! I swear this aging thing is the pits. There also seems to be just such a fine line between finding something to firm it up or cause it's evil twin constipation to bind things up. Good luck with your adventure into the golden years!

The Following User Says Thank You to AnnD For This Useful Post:
phoebe3 (07-21-2012)
Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
(male)

GATOR65 HB User

The past year I also have been experiencing soft stool issues. Never paid too much attention to it being that dairy bothers my stomach. The one thing that made me pay more attention was that after long runs of 10 + I would have to go to the bathroom and would experience very soft stool sometimes water. Had a physical lately and Doc. didn't seem concerned? Lately not only does chocolate bother my stomach but seems like any kind of food causes gas issues too. I have read on other posts about similar issues including gurgling sounds from stomach which I have experienced but only at night when I'm laying down to bed. I am extremely active run 30 miles a week, weight train weekly, and basketball twice a week. Please is there anyone who can help with some advise. Thank You.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

I also suffer from very soft stool for at least six months, maybe even longer. Once in awhile I also don't get the "signal" soon enough and I almost don't make it to the bathroom. That worries me the most, even though I must say it never happens when I'm away from home. Someone mentioned to eat more fiber, what would be a good source of fiber? Something with fiber you don't have to cook?
Laura

Old 01-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Ann, doesn't it seem to work that way. I swear since i turned thirty and had a Hysterectomy everything has gone down hill Luckily i have a very understanding family! Sometimes i feel lost but then they suprise me and say what else would i do that support you and be there for you! Right now i need it too, i am so scared. I am having my Colonoscopy done on Tuesday and i am worried about cancer even though it doesn;t run in the family that i know of, i have been having issues for so long that it really concerns me, but only until recently when there was blood in the mucus of my stools and the weight loss , appetite loss, and ect, but as i have read and been told it can be many things So i am trying to stay postitive. They checked my blood for Celiac diease and i can really say that scares me because i do have the symptoms and i can feel lymphnode type things in my abdomen and they didn't waste any time getting my tests done. The thing that makes me mad is that for months my dr. said it was okay to only have a bowel movement for a week even though it was sooner in the past, the GI dr. says no, you should go at least every three days at the latest. It makes me wonder who to believe except myself knowing things weren't right and my OB Dr. suspecting after finding ovarian cysts referring me to the GI, i would have probably unfortuantely waited longer, wich may have saved me. Sorry so long, i just wanted you to know i know how you feel with the age thing!
Love, Monkey

Old 01-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello everyone,

I was reading your posts and I had a similiar experience when I turned forty. I am a musician and play a wind instrument and I found that everytime I started practicing (ie. breathing deeply from the diaphragm) I would have the urge to have a bowel movement. My B.M.'s also began to be on the loose side where this had never happened before.

What helped me was to start taking a probiotic supplement everyday. This is already known to help with diarrhea caused by various bacteria such as C-difficile and I found that it actually restored things back to the way I was before. Perhaps what some of you have is an imbalance of flora in your colon. I am sure that with age this can happen and the bad bacteria can start to outnumber the good bacteria. Probiotics come in either yoghurt, dairy drinks or pills. Increasing your fibre in order to bulk up your stool is also a good option. Just be sure to eat the right kind of fibre. Soluble fibre (the kind that retains water) will bulk up your stool but insoluble fibre (the kind that your body cannot digest) speeds up the transit time of food through your colon. The shorter the transit time, the more liquidy the stool and the longer the transit time, the drier and harder the stool (since your colon has more time to absorb the liquid). Ideally you should ingest both types of fibre so that your stool is neither too hard nor too soft. Soluble and insoluble fibre is found in all fruits and vegetables as well as in all kinds of nuts, seeds, grains, beans etc... Most of us do not ingest enough fibre and we need to reduce our meat intake and increase our fruit, veggie and legume intake. A word to the wise, if you increase your fibre intake, be sure to also increase your water intake. Too much fibre without enough water can actually cause constipation. A natural psyllium fibre like Metamucil can help tremendously and now comes in a capsule instead of that horrible orange drink. Just be sure to drink enough water with it.

Hope I have been of some help.

Closed Thread