It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

paddler HB User
Question Should I be worried (yet)?

I posted on here recently regarding Walmart's version of the Senokot laxative, and now I've taken it twice in a row (before bedtime the past 2 nights) and NOTHING. I read something somewhere online that said that if a person does not achieve results with laxatives they should see their doctor because things could be serious.

However, the Senokot laxative is a very gentle, vegetable laxative. Does anyone know if it might take a few days to kind of accumulate in my system before I have any results?

Should I be concerned that I have not had results after two days of taking this laxative? I must say that I'm worried, but this is also my first experience taking a laxative, particularly a natural vegetable one, so I don't know what to expect or not expect.

Also, I'm on a number of medications (prescription) that I'm going to have to look into to see if they cause constipation. Still, I would think that if one or more of them do cause constipation, that the laxative would take care of that, so to speak. Ack.

Any feedback, info, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Kel123 HB User
Re: Should I be worried (yet)?

Hi,

I have tried senekot in the past also and did not have any results from it either. I think it is very mild. I ended up taking milk of magnesia 1 Tbsp. It is also very gentle, but works much better for me. It has never given me explosive diarrhea or anything--Just the ability to get things rolling. I have had to repeat the dose sometimes. (usually I would take it before bed, then again in the morning if no success) Best wishes--I hope this info helps you.

Kelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

Milk of Magnesia was recommended to me by the nurse after I had surgery. I hear it works great, I haven't tried it yet. Before surgery my gp told me to take magnesium citrate since I was constipated due to pain pills. It wasn't pleasant but seemed to work OK. It wasn't painful, but just... sudden. Be near a toilet if you take it. You also should be able to call your doctor office and leave a message for the nurse. She'll call you back and you can ask her directly.

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
(female)

paddler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeGirl View Post
Milk of Magnesia was recommended to me by the nurse after I had surgery. I hear it works great, I haven't tried it yet. Before surgery my gp told me to take magnesium citrate since I was constipated due to pain pills. It wasn't pleasant but seemed to work OK. It wasn't painful, but just... sudden. Be near a toilet if you take it. You also should be able to call your doctor office and leave a message for the nurse. She'll call you back and you can ask her directly.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. I have tried Milk of Magnesia and that has not been helpful either. I'm going to give the vegetable (Senna) laxative a bit more time and then try Milk of Magnesia again.

I'm afraid to try any of what are referred to as "harsh stimulants".

Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
(female)

paddler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel123 View Post
Hi,

I have tried senekot in the past also and did not have any results from it either. I think it is very mild. I ended up taking milk of magnesia 1 Tbsp. It is also very gentle, but works much better for me. It has never given me explosive diarrhea or anything--Just the ability to get things rolling. I have had to repeat the dose sometimes. (usually I would take it before bed, then again in the morning if no success) Best wishes--I hope this info helps you.

Kelley
Thanks so much for the info. At least I'm not the only one who is not getting any results from Senna (the active ingredient in Senakot and the Walmart brand I've been taking).

I've also taken Milk of Magnesia, but it didn't really work for me.

I'm going to give the Senna laxative a bit more time, then try Milk of Magnesia again (maybe I need to take it in the morning and at night like you mentioned).

Closed Thread