It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Question Questions for anyone who has had open bowel resection

Hello~
I had a open sigmoid colectomy (bowel resection) 4 weeks ago. I have about a 6" incision down the middle of my tummy. Most of the swelling has gone down, but the left side (where the section was removed) just below the belly button level is still swollen in kind of a "pooch" shape. It's just to the left of the incision. I'm wondering if this is normal this far past surgery, and if it will eventually go down. I really don't want to be left with a left side belly pooch! I'm also surprised about the level of pain I am still having. I do realize that this is a major, major surgery but if I am on the right track for recovery I would feel better. I'm supposed to go back to work in 2 weeks and since I work on a construction site I am required to wear work pants or jeans, not pajama bottoms and sweats! Also, my incision is still oozing and has 2 small "holes" which my surgeon and his nurse say is ok as long as they are not infected (they are not). Anyone else have a leaky incision? Thanks for any help! Happy Holidays!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Re: Questions for anyone who has had open bowel resection

1 month + post surgery and still got the left side "pooch". It just won't go away.... But the incision is slowly healing and the pain level gets terrible sometimes and is non-existent others. Go figure. Just mainly concerned about the swelling on the left side. Is it possible that my intestines fell out of where they are supposed to be? Kind of like a hernia? I'm concerned! Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
(male)

olsoneagle HB Userolsoneagle HB User
Question Re: Questions for anyone who has had open bowel resection

Hi Brand new to this forum. I was Googling colon re section and diveritcultis and found it. I had open resection last Feb. My history is I am 66 year old male in good health. Had gut pains and symptoms in fall of 06. Waited a month to go to the Dr. I had no blood pressure and was taken to hospital. In for 3 days on IV antibiotics-had bad diverticulitis. All was well until Ferbruary. Was in SC for winter. Hurt shoulder on first day there and had rotator cuff surgery. Not to move shoulder for 6 weeks! In 3rd week started haveing ab problems and went to "walk in clinic" Dr told me I could have it again and gave me some antibiotics. Told me not to wait long before going to hospital. The next day I knew I was in trouble and went to ER. They did Cat Scan and said I had an abcess in colon and needed surgery NOW!. Took out 8" of colon and was in for 7 days. Tough experience especially with my shoulder in big sling. Just could not move in bed. Had epidiral for 3 days and lots of morphine. Got through it and hoped it was over.
I am now really obessed with my gut. I have had small pains all over my abdomen ever since. Have fist size lump just down and left of my belly button. Think my waist is about 2" bigger! I am so worried about getting this again. I know I still have diverticual. Am also scared by the fact that I went from feeling fine to an abcess and emergency surgery in about 3 days. How could it happen so fast? Now whenever I get pain or change in bowels I wonder if I have it again. I try to watch what I eat and try to get fiber. Just feel better having typed this. I may go to Dr Monday to see if 3 days of watery stools mean its back! I do not want to go thru this again. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
(male)

Grim76 HB User

I replied to you on the other thread you posted on. Good luck with your visit.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Redneon.....

To put your mind at ease, give your doc a call. The "pooch" is more than likely inflammation from the surgery. Four weeks is early in the healing process. Having had a couple of abdominal surgeries, it takes time....

The pain is also normal. You had open, right? Lots of soft tissue insult and cutting thru the muscle in the abdomen is probably the most painful type of surgery. My hipe replacements were a walk in the park in comparison.

Patience.....it will all fall into place for you.

Linda

Old 12-30-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
(female)

kitnkate HB User

I had the same surgery in March of 2005.Don't worry about the pains that you are having now or the swelling. Nerves and muscle take a long time to heal. I had more pain 7 months after from nerves and muscle tightness than right after. My dr said that it takes a very long time for bowel resection pain because of the major muscles, nerves, digestion process and tissue damage. I am a nurse and I still could not find any better support and information about colon resection than on this health boards.Take it slow and when you do more activity and get pains back off for a while. It is normal to have those swelling pouches. They go down after time. You will have weird tugging sensations also. Good luck and keep asking questions and telling others of your pain. We need each other. Oh, a low fiber diet helped me more that lots of fiber. I eat soups, crackers, yogart, puddings, ice cream and soft meats. Too much fiber all at once is really hard on me. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
(female)

peacefrog HB User

Olsoneagle, let us know how you make out. I had a similar situation last year (but with a temp colostomy, now reversed). I too am a bit obsessed with any change or pain, and am trying to figure out how to prevent a repeat. I had an upper GI and small bowel follow-up, and a colonoscopy a couple weeks ago. Most was normal, just a small polyp and still have diverticuli. I have pain in the lower right quadrant that concerns me.I am not sure what the symptoms of an attack are early on. I didn't think there was anything seriously wrong until it was acute. I'm seeing a GI now and feel more confident that things are under control, but I think its normal to be vigilant after all we've been thru.

Closed Thread