It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

patti1961 HB User
Trouble with BM

For about a month now I have been having trouble passing stool. I get very gassey. The smell is horrible and embarrasing. When it does come out I have to strain very hard and it is just blah. It reminds me of the consistancy of peanut butter. I have to take laxatives to get a complete movement. I am in alot of pain and feel pressure in my right side just below the ribs. This is painful, uncomfortable and extremely annoying. Any suggestions?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
(female)

kayleah82 HB User
Re: Trouble with BM

I'm sorry to hear you are having a hard time and not feeling well. As a long term sufferer of chronic constipation for the past 5-6 years I can relate I realized my problem was the over use/ abuse of laxatives. I am currently 25 yrs old (female) and I had been taking 6 laxative pills each week for the past few years on and off. What happened was that I had depleted my electrolytes to very low levels. Specifically potassium and magnesium I also was not eating enough b/c of stress at work. It got to a point where I could not have a bowel movement unless I took laxatives and it literally made life a living hell. Everytime I would go to a doctor they would just tell me to eat more fiber or try to get me to take zelnorm which has now been recalled b/c of its dangerous side effects. Luckily I only took a couple of doses b/c the side effects made me feel weird. It wasn't until all of a sudden I got some scary heart palpitations and had my doctor take blood that it was discovered that most of my vitamins and minerals were low. I was referred to a cardio to have some additional tests to make sure my heart was ok. I had an ultrasound, ekg and angiogram of my heart and wore a monitor for 24 hrs. It was determined that I was having some skipped/ premature heartbeats but structurally my heart was healthy according to the tests. The cardio reviewed my blood work and told me my potassium level was 3.5 which is pretty low and my magnesium level was a 1.5. My cardio informed me to drink 3 glasses of OJ a day and eat 2 bananas in order to replenish my electrolytes. He stated that he could prescribe supplements but that alot of ppl get heart palpitations due to vitamins and supplements so he didn't want to make my symptoms worse. I looked at him in disbelief and honestly did not think that something as simple as drinking OJ And eating banannas would help but it did. Within 2 days my palpitations decreased significantly and I began having 1-2 bowel movements a day. Mind you I had never been regular my entire life. Its been 2 months and my heart palpitations are gone. I go to the bathroom regulary everyday and have not taken a laxative in over 2 months. So my advise to you is to make sure you are getting enough potassium/magnesium in your diet and to make sure that u are eating 3 meals a day. Very often not eating enough can cause and perpetuate constipation. Good luck with everything and I hope al goes well

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread