It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
(female)

alaska_free HB User
Nervous about Colonoscopy Prep for Sunday and test on Monday

Hi

I am supposed to start the prep on Sunday. I am quite nervous about it. I am supposed to take bottle of mag citrate at 10 am, dulcolax 4 tabs at 1 pm (optional), and 32 oz of Miralax at 4 pm. If I stay on a light/soft diet on Saturday, then I can skip the dulcolax. If I eat alot, then I need to take it.

Will I get alot of cramps from this prep. How soon will the mag citriate kick in? The colonoscopy is being done because of rectal bleeding and a history of pre-cancerous polyps on my mom's side at 45. I am only 33.

I am also nervous about the colonscopy. I had one about 7 yrs ago and was asleep. I have a colon rectal surgeon doing it this time because he is treating the hemmorhoids. Any way I can be assured to be asleep or at least not care. I am not interested in waking up with a camera up behind.

Plus, I ate popcorn and nuts a couple of days last week and now paying for it with bleeding.

Thanks
Jennifer

Old 12-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
(female)

ScamperFletcher HB User
Re: Nervous about Colonoscopy Prep for Sunday and test on Monday

Hi Jennifer,

Actually I'm having surgery (fistulotomy) & a colonscopy tomorrow morning!

My CRS is having me drink "Fleet" saline solution. I took my first dose a few hours ago, and have been visiting the bathroom frequently; but I'm so happy to say that I have no cramping at all! That was a big concern for me too.

I realize you are supposed to take Mag Citrate. Now for me personally, that caused quite a bit of pain/cramping. (I was taking it for supplemental purposes at the time - so I didn't take much). I read later on that it can cause cramping/runs in some invidivuals.

I followed some advice I found here on the board & on another site - I ate a "low residue" diet for the past 5-6 days. Basically white bread, white potatoes, noodles, tuna, chicken, eggs, pudding; avoided all greens, nuts, legumes, fruit/veggie skins, and whole grains. I also avoided all tomato products, as well as citric acid.... a poster here said that will help avoid any "burning" associated with the runs. And - it's true.

I also bought good, soft TP and some A&D ointment.

This prep has been very tolerable for me. If you tend to get cramps easily (which I do!) you might want to ask your CRS about using Fleet instead.

This will be my first surgery & colonoscopy, and I'm pretty scared!! At least the prep hasn't been as awful as I feared

Good luck to you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread