It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

Hayley24 HB User
IBD or IBS?

After 5 years of thinking I have IBS, now I think it is actually Inflammatory Bowel Disease, paticularly Chron's disease. I have every symptom to the extreme, except for the blood in stool. Does anyone on this board know if there is always blood with IBD?

My doctor wants to do a colonoscopy, but thus far I have preferred to be diagnosed by my symptoms if possible because I don't want to go through the ordeal. And the doctor would not make a diagnosis without one. I also prefer not to take drugs that may have bad side effects, so my doctor visits have been pointless.

I weigh only 88lbs and am 5 6', which is 15lbs under from what I used to be. I suffer from malnutrion and fatigue, because I digest very little of what I eat. My diet consists mostly of soups, with pasta and veges as this is all I can handle lately. I also seem to be able to handle some breads and grains (not wholegrains) and unpasteurized raw milk, but every other food group causes a burning and tearing feeling in my gut. I also get the worst tummy aches that bring me to tears and chronic diarrhea. The weird thing is, even when I don't eat, my stomach feels stuffed. If I try to eat anyway, I can barely fit anything without a very uncomfortable full feeling, as if I might pop or something. I am assuming this is inflammation? I always have deep hunger pains at the same time and weird stomach spasms. I also have abdominal swelling and tenderness.

Anyway, just thought I would try to see if anyone can guide me here. It's a new revelation for me to think I might have IBD rather than IBS!

Last edited by Hayley24; 12-05-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
Re: IBD or IBS?

A colonoscopy really isn't an ordeal. It's is one of the easiest tests of all the tests I had performed.

I have Crohn's, however it is not triggered by food. It is an auto immune disease, which is my body attacking healthy tissue, thinking it's bad. So I will get inflammation, causing the pain, etc and it doesn't matter what I eat or do not eat. The medication puts me back on track and feeling healthy again.

I have recently had two months of not being able to get my Crohn's under control, to finally find out my gallbladder had stopped functioning (due to inflammation/Crohn's). I had it removed and I'm finally feeling better. My point, I had to have tests to narrow this down. We had thought it was my Crohn's until we tested my gallbladder because I was not having symptoms typical of gallbladder disease, it was all left/central which was my usual Crohn's symptoms.

The bloating and fullness could be caused by a lot of different things (gallbladder being one). I would think further testing would be something you'd want to do so you can feel healthy again. Also some drugs unfortunately do have risk of side effects. You have to decide which is worse: your symptoms or the side effects. I have had much luck with my treatments with no side effects even though there was a chance of having some.

Good luck and I hope you feel healthy soon.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi..if he suspects CD and your symptoms are more upper than lower ....maybe you should firstly have a small bowel follow-through before the colonoscopy. As well, maybe an ultrasound of the upper abdomen.

Then do the colonoscopy...

Sincd CD can happen anywhere from mouth to anus...you need to know exactly where you have it...a c-scope won't be your only test.

quincy

Old 04-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
(female)

amberwalsch HB User

Hey there! I was reading the board when I came across your response. It appears as though a lot of what I am going through is similar to you. And I was hoping for some advice. My doctor is thinking quite possibly Chron's disease for me even though my colonoscopy and endoscopy came back as everything was fine. He is thinking it may be in the region where the colonoscopy could not get to. Anyways... he is first ordering an ultrasound before the small bowel series to check on my gallbladder as he says my symptoms sound very much like a problem here as well. If it wasn't too personal I was wondering if you could share with me what tets you all did to confirm your chron's disease diagnosis and what your symptoms were. Also what tests were done to confirm your damaged gallbladder and what were your symptoms. Thanks so much for your help! Hope all is well!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Did you have a hemoccult test? You may have blood in your stool that you don't see.... Very common with CD.

You have to get the tests. It's the only way. There is also a blood test, but that is not always accurate.

Small bowel series, colonsocopy, EGD, blood tests, hemoccult test, these are the tests you should have done....

Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
(female)

amberwalsch HB User

Well no on the hemoccult test as far as I am aware. However, he did say he took a stool sample while I was under for my colonoscopy (however, I am not quite sure how he did, a little graphic... but I was soo cleaned out for my colonoscopy that instead of stool I was passing bile beforehand for quite sometime-how can he take a stool sample when nothing is there) Anyways... he ran this for parasites as my roommate had salmonella and he wanted to make sure that wasn't my issue. Parasites turned up negative? But would that mean he also ran a hemoccult test in that same way-as far as you know?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I wouldn't know for sure. The only way to know is if you get a copy of ALL your medical records since this began. That way you will know for sure. SO! Get to the medical records department & ask for your records, and then you will know. It's always nice to read your records anyway, because they don't give you all the info that they put in the record. (I think they think we're dumb.)

Closed Thread