It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

eittod HB User
Question Hemorrhoidectomy Questions

Hello again,
First I really want to thank tacomaguy for the "guide."
How awesome! I cant even imagine the time you spent working on this for everyone. Thank you, thank you.
I am having a hem-ectomy Friday as I posted in a different thread. I really would like to know if anyone else has had the hem-ectomy where only ONE hemorrhoid (external) was removed?? If yes, how was it for YOU during recovery process? Time span before you could go back to work? I have a sit down desk job. I wonder this because I notice many posters have had more than one, or internal / external, and I'm wondering if the pain during recovery is less or the same? I would suspect it would be less? Also, I don't have a tub, but do have a sitz bath thingie that goes on the toilet. Someone posted somewhere about blood pooling when using one. This is all that I have, is this going to cause me issues?
Any information from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone , this forum has been so so helpful to me.
-Eittod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
(female)

ILoveFrogs HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy Questions

I used a sitz bath bowl, and I know some doctors say don't use it because if you separate your butt cheeks it can put pressure on stitches, wound, etc. But my butt is small enough to fit inside the sitz bath bowl, so I didn't worry about using it. It felt quite good actually and i still use it occasionally for a few minutes at a time to soothe and clean my bottom after a bm. I am 16 days postop. If you are only having one external, you should be pretty well recovered in week or two, the internal ones are the ones that take a while to heal up it seems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
(female)

michelle13 HB User

E, as you know – I’m leaving for the hospital for surgery in about 30 minutes. Not sure if I had mentioned to you before that my hem is just one large external one. I’ve instructed my husband to get all of the information from the surgeon on what he did before I leave so that I can share it with you guys. I’ll let you know how it goes. I’ll be posting my recovery on the other thread.

Good luck tomorrow!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
(female)

eittod HB User
Unhappy Re: Hemorrhoidectomy Questions

Thank you you guys! Michelle-I will be waiting to read your post after surgery today. Thank goodness for this forum, and all of you! Thank you Frogs for responding so quickly!
I have another question if you don't mind. I have been taking Citrucel twice a day, and also Colace twice per day, PLUS eating lots of high fiber food, and I am STILL very constipated, last bm had to push and strain like crazy. I know this is NOT good for after the surgery. I am on Vicodin right now too, for pain of my hem prior to surgery tomorrow.
Any suggestions how to make it so I can have a normal bm? Should I increase the Colace OR the Citrucel? I have to write that all the water with the Citrucel makes me EXTREMELY uncomfortable. It makes me feel like an ocean and FULL and just "yucky."
Please if anyone has the answers to this, PLEASE share. Thank you so so much!

Old 12-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
(female)

ILoveFrogs HB User

eittod, Citrucel was not helpful to me as far as a fiber supplement. I have had best results with Colace and/or Miralax and metamucil and eating oatmeal and lots of water and vegies.
I also take Colace every day and then if I feel a little constipated or that my stool will be hard, I also take the Miralax which can now be bought over the counter. My doctor recommended the Miralax over the Colace and it does not cramp you, it is something that helps bulk your stool and also soften it. It is a little expensive, but may help you over this little hump. You are right, try not to strain with bm's, although sometimes that is hard and your body just takes over and pushes on it's own. I noticed you had said on another thread you were eating bananas, bananas are recommended for people with diarrhea, so they can actually be contributing to your constipation along with the pain medicine.

Last edited by ILoveFrogs; 12-06-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
(female)

michelle13 HB User

E~ I thought I was going in for just one large external but ended up I had a couple of internal ones that were removed too. I’m only on day 2 post-op…but I have to say that it’s not as bad as what I was expecting. I’m staying on the pain med schedule and doing everything the doc said. So far, so good.

How did your surgery go yesterday?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
(female)

starbright1923 HB User

Hi E. I had my hem-ectomy and fissurectomy last week, and I was directly instructed NOT to use the sitz bath that goes on the toilet. (I had bought one in a panic (and pain!!!) before the surgery for the pain I was having after just regular BM's) My surgeon explained to me that it put pressure on your anus/rectum, the same way that sitting on a toilet for any extended amount of time does. So if sitting on the toilet for long periods of time can CAUSE hemorrhoids (along with straining ofcourse) then it made since to me why the sitz bath on the toilet was no good. I hope you can come up with another option! Hope all goes well for you....I am in sooo much LESS pain since the surgery, I was shocked...hopefully you'll be just as lucky!

Closed Thread