It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

michelle13 HB User
Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Just got off the phone with my doctor’s office. The nurse told me to take 2 oz of Milk of Magnesia. I told her that gives me diarrhea. She decided I shouldn’t take that just yet…I should quit taking the stool softener and Miralax and just eat high fiber foods. I think if I stay off all pain meds (including Advil) then maybe I can get my BM’s right.

Tracey~ have you ever tried Unisom? It’s OTC sleeping aid. I’ve used it before and it works great for me. YES!!! It’s GREAT to be on this side of the surgery! I’m with you, I would’ve never thought I’d be feeling this good only 4 days out. I’m trying not to get too excited because I still have my bulky BM ahead of me…I still haven’t experienced that yet. I wish it would happen so that I can get it over with.

Last edited by michelle13; 12-10-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
(female)

beachgal01 HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Unisom, huh? Well, I was hoping to get out of this apartment today, so I will go get some! I've NEVER had to use any type of sleep aid, but I really want my mind back, so I will try this stuff!

I am so happy to have not had any bm problems! I kept eating pretty much the same as usual except for the added fiber (LOTS of added fiber!!) and taking the colace. My bms seem to be really close to how it was before surgery - just MUCH easier to pass. I'm really afraid of the anal stenosis, so I've been absolutely diligent with NOT softening too much! I have a friend who is 65 and she has vivid memories of her mother suffering her entire life with stenosis - my friend remembers walking in on her mother doing her 'morning exercises' - using a series of four or five black dilators on her ********. Every single morning. Not my idea of morning exercises.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

michelle,
I am sorry you are having problems with BMs but a loose stool is much better than a real hard bukly one at your stage in recovery.

I wrote a post about fiber and normal BMs on the "Information Archives" -- post #10 on page 2 at the top of this page. I think it may help you with the foods that you are eating. All insolouble fiber speeds up your intestines and transit time and the soluble type fiber slows your BMs down.

I know you need a stool softener at first but it does have a tendancy to make your stools pasty-- and I don't like that.

Water soluble fiber supplements will not only bulk up your stool it makes your absorb more water and makes them sort of lubricated.

I have also found that soluble fiber supplements almost totally prevent future problems with hemorrhoids.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
(female)

michelle13 HB User

Thanks Harry!!! I just read your post and printed it out. I really want to get my BM’s right. I’m so scared of getting stenosis. I had never heard of this before until I found this site. I also don’t want to end up constipated!!!! Which fiber supplements do you recommend?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Michelle,
I like and use the sugar free psyllium Wal Mart Equate brand. It is less costly and effective as Metamucil.

With all natural water fiber supplements -- they will make you pass gas when you first start using them. So-- be prepared and start off slowly. But, with continued use the gas will go away.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
(male)

TacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB UserTacomaGuy HB User

Harry, I guess that explains why I'm bloated at work all the time. It wasn't much of a problem until I returned to work, but maybe that has something to do with wearing slacks with an unforgiving waistline all day.

Beachgal, my hours were all messed up because I'm single so I would nap when I was sleepy and I'd eat when I was hungry and get in the tub when I was uncomfortable, etc. I didn't have any reason to stay on a time schedule for anything but my pain pills so I never really tried. On day 10, I returned to work and that forced me to get on a schedule again but it took a few days before I didn't go home and crash right after work - which makes you wake up during the night.

I still have trouble concentrating 100% on work tasks. I'm doing okay but it seems like something (whether it be itching, slight discomfort or pain, bloating, upcoming BM, etc.) is always competing with my attention. It's not anywhere near as bad as the first day of work, but at first things seemed to change really quickly and now it's like the rest of healing is going to be really slow. It wouldn't bother me too much, but it looks like my body is getting all out of shape rather quickly and I want to work out but I know I can't yet. That is probably what is bothering me the most. On Thursday will be 4 weeks for me and I think my butt could deal with jogging or something, but there is no way that my stomach is going to be ready for that.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hi, all! I had a good day - caught up on some sleep and figured out which cookies I am going to bake for Christmas! I am so excited - my man is coming over with dinner tonite, and then we are going to Shoprite! That will be my first time out of the house since surgery, so I am putting on some pants! What a day, what a day!

TacomaGuy - thanks for your input on the sleeping. I do plan to get some unisom so I can get a great night of sleep tonite. I really do need at least 7 uninterupted hours ... which I haven't gotten since surgery. Well, since the night before.

Good to know that there is a point at which the stool softeners become a problem. I think I will wait until my 3 or 4 week point to ease up, though, since they are not a problem now. I would MUCH rather have soft right now.

Hope all is well with everyone. I guess Dog must have gone mountain climbing!!

Old 12-10-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
(female)

eittod HB User

Oh goodness, advice needed please. I am at 3 days post op and have not had a bm yet. I am doing everything I am supposed to be doing and now, per doctor instructions on the sheet she sent me home with, I am now taking MOM 2 tablespoons every four hours, and still NOTHING. Some gas, LOTS of uncomfortableness in my belly, it is soooooooo distended. I have a hot water bottle on it to try to decrease the discomfort. I'm afraid the next thing she'll have me try will be an enema, and needless to say, I am scared to pieces to have to do that. Has ANYONE ELSE AT ALL had trouble being so constipated AFTER surgery? What are some foods you guys ate to help you go? Thank you.

Godspeed everyones recovery.

PS My daughter gave birth to a 10 lb, 7 oz boy today!!! Woo-hoo!!! My second grandson!

Old 12-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Eittod - you poor thing! I have no experience with this, but my discharge instructions from the hospital say this: "Take one ounce of Milk of Magnesia at night if no BM that day", and then the surgeon wrote in this: "Take Ducolax 5 mg 2 tablets if no bm in 2 days (in addition to Milk of Magnesia".

Please also read Harry's posts today, and find his guide to what you must eat to keep those bms coming daily. I have his suggestions printed out and posted in my bathroom so I cannot help to read it alot - hopefully, I will eventually commit all of the information to memory, since this is obviously a marathon rather than a sprint!

Good luck, honey. Keep us posted.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:05 AM   #10
(female)

michelle13 HB User

Eittod~ have you been able to go yet? I think my doctor would offer the same advice as BG’s, Milk of Magnesia! That’s what I would try. I hope the morning is bringing you more relief.

Yesterday I stayed off everything (stool softeners, Miralax, etc.) and just ate a good bit of fiber. Well, late yesterday afternoon I became very gassy and had a small pain in my butt. It felt like there was a lot of pressure but like there was something sharp on the inside trying to get out. I broke down and took a pain pill to ease it so that I could sleep last night. I woke up several times during the night feeling constipated. You know, that feeling of pressure inside you like there is a large, hard mass that needs to pass but wont. This morning I went to the bathroom and the pain during my bm was VERY intense. It wasn’t as solid as I think it needs to be…but much more than it has been. TG – I thought of you delivering an 18 incher….not sure if I could’ve handled the pain I was having for that long!!! Anyway…there was blood this time. I wouldn’t say it was a lot…but it had the water red. I haven’t had any blood this whole time….or a discharge. It’s been very “clean”…so this kind of worries me.

I want to go through some of the old posts to re-read them…but my butt is hurting today!! Don’t think I can sit here much longer. I’m on the pain pills today!

Hope you all had a good night and I’ll check back in later…..

Old 12-11-2007, 05:17 AM   #11
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hey, y'all! Hope the day finds you all comfortable and smiling. Eittod - any movement? If not, please call your doctor! Michelle - you've been on my mind ... still feeling little pain and LOTS of energy? I haven't encountered the LOTS of energy yet, but I'm hoping today is the day. I am driving up to Claymont (about 25 miles) to get a birthday haircut. A bit apprehensive, actually, because of the state of my bowels - I'm trying to take care of business before I leave. Dog - I'm really curious about you! Are you still feeling like a million bucks?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 AM   #12
(female)

michelle13 HB User

Pain pill kicked in…so I’m able to sit for a few more minutes.

BG – I was feeling a good bit of pain this morning. Not so much now that my meds have kicked in. energy? That’s just me….I was serious when I said that I have a hard time sitting still. Sometimes that’s a bad thing!! The day of surgery, my surgeon told me to take it VERY easy for 24 hours. My husband was getting aggravated with me because I kept getting up. I try to relax and rest…I just can’t. Maybe that’s why I sleep so hard at night…I don’t know.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRACEY!!!!
Have you got any big plans???

Last edited by michelle13; 12-11-2007 at 05:38 AM.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:19 AM   #13
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hey, girl! Thanks for the birthday wishes! Plans for today .... that birthday haircut will be step one! I am really apprehensive about traveling up I-95 that far. You see, Delaware's portion of I-95 is something like 12 miles long, but is often a parking lot for much of that distance. I usually think that it is pretty funny because I don't often use I-95 anymore! Today, the prospect of being stuck on the interstate for any unknown period of time makes me shudder! I get a generous 45 seconds or so from the time my brain registers 'It is time to poop' to the moment the poop begins to emerge. I've been thinking hard about those diapers I got from my neighbor ... I may bring one of them with me (but having a diaper on the seat beside me won't be much help, huh? And I cannot imagine how gross it would be to be wearing a diaper when the moment arises. Ugh - peeing in one is bad enough ...

What kind of pain do you have, Michelle? Spasms? Burning?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:29 AM   #14
(female)

michelle13 HB User

I don’t really know how to describe the pain…..it’s not spasms or burning. I guess it’s more like when you’re REALLY constipated and finally are able to go but it feels too large to pass through….that kind of pain X’s 100. It made me cry!! I tried the breathing and everything….I will say that once I was finished and had rinsed off with my hand held sprayer in the tub the pain was almost gone. The BM’s today are like VERY thick paste. I can’t imagine the pain when they decide to come out more normal!! I’m starting to get scared!!!

Why is it I haven’t had any blood until now??? Is this normal????

Old 12-11-2007, 06:52 AM   #15
(male)

RX7CANEDOG HB User
Smile Re: Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

hello

i had a rough day yesterday, i had two bm that hurt. wich takes a while to feel better from. but thats to be expected. also i had one of my vicous migrain headaches. wich caused me to be sick to my stomach and vomiting all day. i finally got straighted out late last night. ROUGH DAY.
Michelle+eddiot-- are you taking fish oil or mineral oil?
hope today gets better for you. Hang in there?
my bm are not the exact consistencey i would like to see yet. but im only taking stoolsoftner and eating fiber foods now.
in not taking any pain meds for the last two days ( probably what triggered my headache). im saving the rest ofmy meds for my post op visit with my dr. The stretch???
michelle-- i think your blood is normal still. plus a small amount of blood looks like alot in water?

see ya all later
try and have a great day.

Last edited by RX7CANEDOG; 12-11-2007 at 06:53 AM.

Closed Thread