It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

debbie38 HB User
diverculitis

im 38 years old and went to the hospital a month ago for pains in my stomach the hospital gave me a cat scan and said i had diverculitis i no nothing about it they sent me home with pains and throwing up my white blood cells high and my red blood cells are high then i went to my regular physician and he said i should of been admitted then a week later i had another cat scan and more blood work and they said the cat scan showed that it was almost gone but then a week later i had more blood work and my white blood cells and my red blood cells are higher then they were in the hospital and i had a high fever last night and my stomach hurts and im having lower back aches but my stomach is not hurting as bad as it was the first time if anyone could give me information about what i should do i really dont want the surgery im a single mom with 3 kids

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
(male)

coolied HB User
Re: diverculitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie38 View Post
im 38 years old and went to the hospital a month ago for pains in my stomach the hospital gave me a cat scan and said i had diverculitis i no nothing about it they sent me home with pains and throwing up my white blood cells high and my red blood cells are high then i went to my regular physician and he said i should of been admitted then a week later i had another cat scan and more blood work and they said the cat scan showed that it was almost gone but then a week later i had more blood work and my white blood cells and my red blood cells are higher then they were in the hospital and i had a high fever last night and my stomach hurts and im having lower back aches but my stomach is not hurting as bad as it was the first time if anyone could give me information about what i should do i really dont want the surgery im a single mom with 3 kids
DEBBIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get to the ER, ASAP................. Yes, we don't want surgery, and we'll do anything to avoid it, but your post has me quite alarmed.............. Back in Sep. '05, I had basically the same symptoms and got myself to the ER (30yo male at the time, now 32)........... Guess what? My diverticulitis had perforated, and the pain and fever was from the peritonitis that I now had........... Did the emergency surgery thing and had a foot of my colon removed, wore a colostomy bag for 6 months and then had the colostomy bag removed, doing fine now!!!!!!! Debbie, judging from the fever and pain I fear you may already be starting to perforate, this is a LIFE THREATNING EMERGENCY!!!!! (I got to the hospital right at the point where they were still able to help me)................ And please check back in here when you can and let me know how you ended up making out..................

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

Yes please, get to the ER right away. I went to the ER a total of 4 times with this, the first time I was misdiagnosed with a UTI but then I went back & had a small perforation that was healed with antibiotics. The thrid time I had a case of diverticulitis but had an undiagnosed abscess so I was back 2 days later. They drained the abscess and treated me with antibiotics. 6 weeks later I had non-emergency surgery (no colostomy). I am about to go back to work after being on disability since late July. I am also a single mother of a 17 year old son and I was no good to him while I was sick because I couldn't take care of things for him. It is such a relief to no longer be sick or have to worry about every little twinge of pain. If you don't have insurance (I didn't the first 2 times) they will take care of you anyway! I had a $30,000 hospital bill that was covered by Medi-Cal because I am a single mom. Your state should have similar programs. Please do go before you get too sick for anything but emergency surgery. And please let us know how you are doing when you get home.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
(female)

peacefrog HB User

Please let us know how you are! I also had a perforated colon and peritonitis, and an emergency colostomy. I had a reversal 3 months later, but we're talking 2 major surgeries and recovery time. Catching it early is critical!!!! You can't afford to wait, and antibiotics might be enough if started early.

Closed Thread