It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User
Gastric pacemaker?

I have had blood test, urine test, stool test, MRIs, CT scans, Ultra sounds, colonoscopy, upper endoscopy done and they can’t find out what is causing my stomach pain. They did find gastric inflammation and had my gallbladder removed sense it was only working 14%. Anyway my doctor is thinking about having a gastric pacemaker implanted. My question is: Has anyone had this implanted and it helped with the stomach problems?

Symptoms are:
Upper middle stomach pain and goes a little to the left.
Nausea
Vomiting (not often, thank God)
Sometimes bloating
Headaches (sick like headache)
Upper back pain

I am on my 2 gastroenterologist and he wants to send me to another gastroenterologist in New Orleans to get a gastric pacemaker. Both the docs say they have tried all the meds for these problems. That’s why they are suggesting this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
Re: Gastric pacemaker?

Have you been told you have gastroparesis (GP)?

Have you even had a gastric-emptying scan (GES)?

Because generally you have to go through this before there would even be mention of a pacemaker!

Even if you have GP, I can't see a doctor just immediately jumping to the surgery option - and pacemakers are very new with little history behind them. It's not something I would rush into any more than fundoplication for GERD (which has a much longer history but spotty record). If you definitively have GP - or even just "guess" at GP - normally 1 would expect maybe experimenting with some drugs (of course, only 1 is currently available in US for it).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread