It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User
Diagnosed Anal Fissure... other symptoms?

I had mild stomach pain and discomfort for over 2 weeks, so I went to our local hospital (no family doctor) and had blood work done (came back as normal/excellent), and a rectal exam, where they discovered a fissure. I was sent on my way, and told to take Metamucil without anything else.

The stomach pains continue 1.5 weeks later. There is a slight fluttering/gurgling sensation that was occurring just above the pubic line which has settled down, however on the right side of my stomach, just above the hip/below the ribs, there is a spot that feels like I have a knot there always. It's constant, and does cause mild pain off and on (however the sensation of feeling like there is something always there continues). Sometimes, I have a sharp pinching feeling in my side/around the back at the same elevation as the knot area. Is this related to the fissure, or a sign that perhaps something more sinister is at work? They had originally said they would contact me to have an ultrasound completed, but my concern is since they discovered the fissure they may just discount completing the ultrasound on the area.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
(female)

netters HB User
Re: Diagnosed Anal Fissure... other symptoms?

I've heard that you have to do some things and use some medicine to heal a fissure. I think you are supposed to soak in a warm tub...not too hot for not too long and put some special medicine on it to help it heal. Did they give you any instructions to take with you or medicine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: Diagnosed Anal Fissure... other symptoms?

A chronic anal fissure can cause all sorts of pain and discomfort (trust me, I know!). Has the fissure healed? Is it still bleeding? Are you getting rectal spasms?

Go see a colo-rectal doctor--he or she will examine you, and likely give you some diltiazam, which is an ointment that relaxes the sphincter and allows the fissure to heal.

When I was having my fissure nightmare, I also had other symptoms--but not right away. After the thing became chronic for weeks, I started getting cramping, nausea, and even diarrhea. A colonoscopy was negative.

If the issues persist for another month, even if after the fissure heals, get scoped. But to me it sounds like the fissure is the root of the problem.

Closed Thread