It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
(female)

hollyberry08 HB User
Concerned about bowel changes - feedback welcome

I'll try to make a long story as short as I can. My history is that I am type 2 diabetic taking oral meds. Long history (approx 9 years) taking Glucophage among other meds. Glucophage is a common stomach irritant and in the beginning causes lots of stomach distress including diarrhea. I have had stomach problems for a while insofar as always seeming to have to go to a public restroom wherever I might be to have a bowel movement. Usually go in the morning several times, especially when I'm putting on my coat to go somewhere, I start getting that 'urge' to go. Not sure if that's from anxiety about going outside. I think I've visited restrooms at every Lowes and Home Depot in my area.

About three weeks ago started having real bad bouts of diarrhea. I was concerned about dehydration and electrolytes, so I drank some Gatorade (good for electrolytes) but it is loaded with sugar (not good for a diabetic). Very thirsty due to dehydration. The diarrhea was pretty bad, more so than I could remember ever experiencing. I was taking Immodium. Then the diarrhea was followed by a dry spell wherein I wasn't feeling any urge to have a bowel movement which was causing me concern. I wasn't getting that usual 'feeling' that I have to move my bowels. Started taking a laxitive until I read/heard that laxitives are dangerous in that they can weaken the colon. Dr. told me to take Col Ase (stool softener) and eat fiber foods. It helped a little then the diarrhea started again. Now I'm back to the opposite problem. Hadn't gone since yesterday and was also having bad headaches. Today I ate a bunch of prunes, two stool softeners, an apple and increased water intake. Had a decent bowel movement this evening, but it seems that I have to sit on toilet about 10 or more minutes before something happens. Unlike before when I would just sit down and start to have a movement.

Nurses don't seem to know what to tell me. No one seems to care. I need a colonoscopy but have a long list of others before me. Does anyone else experience similar and what do you think it could be.

I was trying to eliminate things that could be causing the diarrhea which I thought might be from magnesium I had been taking, also had been taking apple cider vinegar pills.
I have eliminated them from my diet altogether.

The diarrhea seems to have subsided but not having any sensation that I need to have a bowel movement is of concern to me. I get some signal that I need to have a bowel movement, but my bowels just don't seem to be working right.

Any feedback is appreciated. I'm in my early 50s.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread