It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
(male)

mole147 HB User
Abdominal Pain after Bowel Resection

I had my open bowel resection and ileostomy surgery 3 weeks ago and apart from the wound becoming infected the only other problem I am experiencing is a sharp pain in the lower left side of my abdomen. Sometimes it feels like a sharp wind pain that slowly eases and at other times it hurts if I lean on my left side which is tender to the touch. I do not know if this is part of the healing process or something more sinister. Can anyone help?

Old 12-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Re: Abdominal Pain after Bowel Resection

I had open bowel resection on Nov. 5th. I also had problems with sections of my incision opening and oozing, but those eventually healed. I have some sharp pain on the side that was resectioned (is that a word?), and sometimes when I move the wrong way or turn over too quickly in bed. I find that this usually happens when I am either constipated or need to go to the bathroom. Then I am sore for a while after but it goes away. I still have some degree of pain but it is much much better than it was a few weeks ago. Are you having regular bowel movements? Hope this info helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
(female)

peacefrog HB User

Its been almost a year since my resection. A colostomy and reversal. I had strange pains for a long time. Some were sharp stabbing, some were aches from deep inside, you name it. The worst of them was on the right side, not where the stoma was.I think the nerve endings take a while to wake up and are trying to reconnect, and muscles that have been cut take awhile to heal as well. Adhesions can also form and "stick" things together somewhat (but the solution to that is more surgery so I'll live with it lol) It gets better, but I still get odd pains now and then, but less frequently. Obviously anything too severe needs to be checked out, and is hard after you've been thru so much to not worry. Tell your dr. They understand that we are especially vigilant now. Best wishes

Old 12-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lady287 HB User

I had my resection done three weeks ago yesterday. I am actually experiencing more abdominal pain now than I did a week ago. It seems to have to do with what I eat. I had a salad last night, and in the middle of the night I was doubled over with a distended, gassy, stomach. If I can have a bowel movement, then I feel better. I was trying to slowly increase my fiber, because of my fear of being constipated. But every time I eat some of these things, i pay for it. My pain is all over, which seems to be the case with gas pain. I wasn't sure when some of the others started taking Metamucil...?
I am really looking forward to feeling normal again!!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:18 AM   #5
(male)

mole147 HB User
Re: Abdominal Pain after Bowel Resection Tiredness

I would like to thank everybody who has replied to my post for their advice.
Since my operation (4 weeks) I have never slept so much in my life and I am finding it difficult to get motivated to do anything, I feel so lethargic. I am a 55 year old male. Has anyone else had this?

Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lady287 HB User

I must have had my resection on or about the same day as you. (But mine was with the scope). I feel like, in the past two days, that i have turned a corner and am feeling better. Less pain and bloating. I still have a hematoma that feels like a softball "stuck' in my gut. The hardest thing to get over, however, has been the tiredness. Night before last I slept twelve hours. I think that this is natural though and it takes a while to get strength back. I have noticed that I have longer spaces of time that i am awake and active. I am 46 years old and also have MS, so I am taking that into consideration. In rereading many of the posts (thanks to all of you!!), I see that some people say they felt like their old self at 2 months. In that case, we are halfway there!!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
(female)

peacefrog HB User
Re: Abdominal Pain after Bowel Resection Tiredness

4 weeks isn't much time to recover. Don't push yourself. Its a big toll on your body physically and mentally. Follow your body's lead. It took months for me to really feel strong again. I'm 47. Just when I felt really strong it was time for the reversal of the colostomy and I was down again. It was another 3 months to get back to "normal". I have never been so depressed as I was after the colostomy, but found it was a normal reaction to any major surgery, Just be kind to your body. It has brought you this far...

Last edited by peacefrog; 12-31-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
(female)

jem12881 HB User

I had a bowel resection 6 weeks ago and have finally gotten my energy back. However, I have recently started to feel a constant, dull ache in my right side. I'm not sure if this is normal but I assume that it has to do with the healing process.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

I'm afraid I'm in for a trip to the E.R. The surgery side is starting to hurt worse every day. A sneeze or cough practically kills me. It's a burning pain that turns into a sharp knife pain. Started out slow but now is almost constant. I'm really discouraged since I am 3 days short of2 months post surgery. I thought he surgery would fix it, but I guess I'm having complications...it sucks.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:34 AM   #10
(female)

jem12881 HB User

Good luck Redneon! Let me know how it turns out. I'm worried that I'm heading down the same path because I've got a constant ache where the Crohn's pain used to be. I'm 7 weeks post surgery and didn't know if the pain was normal.

Thinking of you!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #11
(female)

Clover100 HB User

Red Neon: I just ducked back in the Bowel Disorders Message Board and I'm so sorry to hear you are having problems. Once in a while I get a shadowy pain down in my left side where the 8 inches were removed from the colon, but basically I feel great. My surgery was in mid-October. I have to go see the surgeon for a post-op visit in early Feb. He wants me to take a Fleet enama before my visit so he can "look at things". I'm not sure what he means by that. I don't want any sigmoidoscopy-type tube checking things out. My worst problem is that all I want to do is eat. I've gained about 12 lbs. since my surgery. Next week I will start back at Weight Watchers but I just don't seem to have any incentive---plus walking is OUT when the temperature has been in the teens.
Please keep us posted as to what you find out. You really need to get to the bottom of this so that nothing serious occurs. I'll be thinking about you.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

I'm wondering if Redneon has developed a hernia.....

In any case, good luck!! Keep us posted

Linda

Old 01-06-2008, 05:13 AM   #13
(female)

anprdp HB User

My Bowel resection is almost 2 years ago now. Had the entire right side removed (ascending). At 29 it took me 3 months to recover. One reason, I developed 3 abscesses after the lap. surgery. Big sign: If your pain is not improving or seems to be moving go to the Doctor or ER immediately. After a month of hospital visits for the actual surgery, lap. surgery removal of the staph infections, plus another infection busting open my wounds it took me quite awhile to get over it. Don't wait. If something feels wrong, get it checked for piece of mind and your life.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

Thanks everyone for all your concern. I have not gone to the ER because after review, it seems that my pain might be related to what I'm eating. I started to feel really bad after eating sushi with a lot of wasabi, and 2 nights in a row of spicy enchiladas with lots of cheese (I'm actually lactose intolerant-dummy!) accompanied by hot pork rinds and guacamole with chile-all in one meal! My surgeon told me I could eat whatever I wanted and I'm afraid I took him a little too literally. I should have eaten whatever I could tolerate, not whatever I wanted since I am Hispanic and have eaten hot chile and spicy foods my whole life. I am being more careful about not overdoing heavy or spicy foods and it seems to help. I also had a couple of bouts with constipation which we know makes things worse! Now I mainly have pain with the wrong foods or when I cough (big ouch) but not the constant knife/burn I was having. I'm still going to the doctor this week to get checked out since I still have the "pouch" on the left side and I seem to be more swollen than a couple of weeks ago, but I did recently return to work and have been much more active. I'm not so worried about an abscess, since I had one before my surgery and I know the pain does not come and go, it stays and gets worse & worse very quickly. I'll report back after my doctor visit. Thanks again to all of you for your concern, you are more help than you know!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Redneon.....

Hang in there kiddo!!

BTW, the first "real" food I had after my re-section was pizza!!! Never tasted so good!!!

Best,
Linda

Closed Thread