It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
(male)

squall211 HB User
Question about blood during a bowel movement

I'll start this by saying that obviously I need to go to the doctor to rule out serious problems, and plan on it once my insurance kicks in later this month. But I am wondering if this sounds familiar or has happened to anyone else.

A little info. about me:

Age 30, Male
About 5' 9", approx. 185
Was not physically active nor ate a healthy diet until last week when I had this happen. Since then I've done a 180 on my diet heh.
No family history of major bowel disorders that I am aware of. Dad had a polyp found when he had a colonoscopy at age 50 (he's 54 now).

Christmas Eve day is when I first noticed the blood. It was on the toilet paper (bright red), some in the bowl, and a red streak on a piece of stool. I had some cramping before and during that particular BM. Once that happened, I changed my diet immediately (increased fiber/water intake, more fruits, veggies, etc.). Until now I've never been an overall healthy eater, so most of the time when going to the bathroom, there had always been a moderate amount of straining.

Since changing my diet, my BMs have been more or less strain-free, usually two a day, and they look pretty much normal. As far as the blood goes, with one exception I think where there were bright red streaks again, it doesn't seem to appear with every BM (not visible anyway), and when it does appear it's not big, bright red streaks anymore. It's more like a little dab or so on the TP.

The other thing I've noticed since the first time seeing the blood, is that off and on throughout the day, I will feel what seems to be very slight irritation underneath my navel, or slight bloating on my left or right sides I guess you would call it. Honestly I don't know what a good name for it is, because it's very slight and nothing that hampers my daily activity. It isn't a constant feeling, as it seems to come and go. I also seem to notice it more if I am sitting rather than standing. It didn't happen before I first noticed the blood, and I'm wondering if maybe it's due to the fact that I seriously stressed over what I had seen for a few days.

The bloating or irritation that I described above seems to be more noticible if I'm wearing tighter fitting pants, and doesn't seem to bother me at night if I'm wearing loose fitting PJs.

My appetite is fine, my weight hasn't fluctuated (althought I've lost a couple pounds over the last week, but I chalk that up to eating very healthy lately), and I don't feel nauseous, weak, or sick. Hopefully it's just an internal hemroid or a slight case of IBS. But does any of this sound familiar to anyone else? Thanks in advance for any responses.

I just found this site a few days ago, what a great resource it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
(female)

KDE707 HB User
Re: Question about blood during a bowel movement

You and I are in the exact same boat. You described my problem to a tee. Only difference is, my medical insurance doesnt kick in until Late FEB, early march. AND IM TERRIFIED!!! I drank some fiber powder ( colon cleansing) with some juice a little bit ago. I will see what that does. Have you figured anything out with yours?? I have all the EXACT same problems but havent noticed pain near the navel. Let me know how you are doing, this has been 3 days for me, going on four

Old 01-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
(male)

squall211 HB User
Re: Question about blood during a bowel movement

My insurance hasn't kicked in yet so I haven't been to the doctor yet. However, the bloating/cramping/irritation that I was feeling has more or less gone away. I still get it off an on, but not as frequently. As far as the blood goes, it's currently at the point where I only see tiny drops (if any) on the toilet paper. Still plan on going to the doctor once my insurance kicks in, but I'm not as worried as I was before. The changing of my diet seems to have really helped alot.

Closed Thread